U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 AM

8,138 posts, read 2,793,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
So? It's the same argument as the seatbelt laws. Why have seatbelt or traffic laws then? We obviously cannot prevent every crash from happening and "most" are law abiding citizens who follows them anyways.

Bedside the fact that I don't think there should be seatbelt laws .....or helmet laws or any stupid law designed to protect people from themselves.....

This is a ridiculous argument.

Traffic laws are designed to make the roadways functional....... and driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 AM

2,718 posts, read 1,185,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Your mindset is all or nothing clearly. I ask because you have short sighted approach to stopping something.

Say you were to make guns vanish. What happens when knives are used? Ban knives? Box cutters?
What about gasoline and matches when someone truly sick does mass murder with arson?

Oh, You can most certainly own an RPG if it's registered on the NFA as transferrable. Destructive devices are legal.
Can you kill 17 people in a matter of 5 minutes?

Or heck can you kill 55 people in a matter of 10 minutes?

If I own a RPG and shoot it at a crowd, I can obliterate them in SECONDS. Somehow, your brain doesn't process the different levels of destruction involved.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM

5,528 posts, read 4,120,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Banning AR 15s wouldn't stop all mass shootings but it would reduce the death rates. With a regular hunting gun at least after a handful of rounds victims would have a chance to run or attack the attacker. AR 15 can hold huge numbers of rounds and kill from long distances. There's a reason it's the gun used by military in war zones.
This is why pro gunners have a hard time discussing issues with anti gunners. Most don't know what they are talking about but base their arguments with this lack of knowledge. They don't understand how guns operate and what the differences are. If you show them they don't respond and just repeat what they said over and over.
I've seen it many times on many threads here where someone will explain differences or similarities of a hunting rifle and an ar15 which often negates the targeting of ar15s.The anti gunners will ignore that post, won't google to verify or educate himself, but just go on arguing with no knowledge gained.
The you will probably ignore this, but ar 15 is not the best long distance rifle.
Many times it's a bolt action rifle like what hunters use. Many other rifles can hold multiple rounds like and ar15. So why are you concentrating on the ar15?
Heck I have an ak47 that will hold 40 rounds, why are you stuck on the ar?
I'll tell you why. You haven't armed yourself with sufficient knowledge of guns.

Now I'm not going to fault you for this. But I will fault others that are informed of this but refuse to accept it because it means their argument is weaken and go on repeating a weak idea.
So if someone says 2+2 =5 and you correct them by telling them it's 4 but they still continue to argue it's 5, there is no discussion.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 02-20-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM

4,635 posts, read 2,790,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Do you feel that the American people would be safer in the long run if we gave government the authority to decide who could own a gun and who couldn't? Using whatever standard they find appropriate? And having the power to enforce their decisions in whatever way they find suitable?

Why did the Framers write and ratify an amendment forbidding all govts from restricting people's guns and other weapons?

Buddy that’s how the law works.

Legislation decides on what the “standard” should be, and the police and military backed by the state enforce it.

To the guy who wrote “I will put you in the ground”, I haven’t had a laugh all day like that.

Keep writing sick things on the internet.

There is no need for semi autos. They are only bought by people who need to feel strong because they are lacking in every other department.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 AM

8,138 posts, read 2,793,159 times
Quote:
You obviously didn't read the previous discussion.

/end
You obviously aren't very good at math.....

Or reading the Constitution.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,853,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I was hoping we could avoid these emotional crystal ball postings, guess not.

Maybe, might, possibly, do it for the babies stuff.

Nothing measurable or quantifiable.

So, back on topic, if you want to ban just AR-15s how would you do that? Because the last "ban" didn't really do any banning of anything.
Speaking of crystal balls, have you figured out a way to measure or quantify things that will happen in the future? You seem to have concluded that banning certain weapons will have no effect.

I think I would "ban" AR-15s the same way other items are "banned." (Why are we using quote marks?) Bombs and grenades are "banned." Rocket launchers are "banned." I'd include automatic and semi-automatic firearms in those "bans."

Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM

2,718 posts, read 1,185,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Bedside the fact that I don't think there should be seatbelt laws .....or helmet laws or any stupid law designed to protect people from themselves.....

This is a ridiculous argument.

Traffic laws are designed to make the roadways functional....... and driving is a privilege, not a right.
LOL. Seatbelts have no relationship to "functionality" in roadways. Whether I wear one or not, doesn't matter because I'm still driving.

35,275 posts, read 32,230,970 times
Quote:
With enough time, it can be done. How many guns would you turn in if the government decided to give you 2K for each handgun? How about 3K? There's always a way to incentivize without having law enforcement going door to door strip searching.
It would have to be a pretty sizable amount because the existing $ for guns had a pathetic turnout and it was just a bunch of crap that mostly couldn't even fire. 3 Grand x 100 million is going to be a sizable bill.

15,254 posts, read 16,853,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If just one armed person stops an intruder at the school door, it will be worth it! How much is a child's life worth to you????
It's immeasurable. Are you willing to fund that with a tax increase? Armed guards at every school?

8,231 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Quote:
Can you kill 17 people in a matter of 5 minutes?

Or heck can you kill 55 people in a matter of 10 minutes?

If I own a RPG and shoot it at a crowd, I can obliterate them in SECONDS. Somehow, your brain doesn't process the different levels of destruction involved.
Look up Cologne School massacre. Someone in Germany fashioned a homemade flame thrower and torched victims alive...

My brain works just fine. I have no desire to do harm to another nor fantasize about it. You on the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or