U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 PM

1,785 posts, read 453,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
BUT, MORE people are killed with a knife then an AR-15 annually.

Are you concerned with killings or ONLY those used by an AR-15?
Yep, and more people get killed by automobile accidents, but we still do everything we can to keep people safe and avoid casualties. Your solution is to do nothing about weapons of war because more people get killed by knives...huh? That's ridiculous, we should do everything we can to prevent the next mass shooting, when those solutions exist.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM

4,194 posts, read 2,488,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Yep, and more people get killed by automobile accidents, but we still do everything we can to keep people safe and avoid casualties. Your solution is to do nothing about weapons of war because more people get killed by knives...huh? That's ridiculous, we should do everything we can to prevent the next mass shooting, when those solutions exist.
Homeschool, and shop online.
Your problems solved.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 PM

4,266 posts, read 4,078,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Florida, the Tampa Bay area to be exact, is an entirely different area than most Americans? I said I spend half my time in both, don't lock my door in either most of the time, and don't work on the premise of fear based irrationality of needing a gun to protect myself.

Too many 2A advocates bring up the premise of needing a gun in case a criminal comes into their house. That is an irrational fear in most cases.
I know someone who is deathly afraid of frogs. There is no frog in the continental US that can kill or injure a human. That fear is irrational.

While the probability of a home invasion is low, the possibility still exists. Like a house fire, the results are almost always catastrophic. While I do not live in fear of either a home invasion or a house fire, I do take precautions to minimize my risk. I have networked smoke detectors as well as ones connected to my home alarm. If any in my house are triggered, they all make noise. I also keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen where there is an open flame when cooking.

While I won't go into detail about my personal security, I will say that I carry a pistol with me all of the time. I'm taking a break from work right now in my home office and I am armed. There are a lot of people who will think that is odd. I don't. To me a holstered pistol on my hip is no different than carrying around my wallet and car keys.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:41 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,272,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post

Not sure what is being done about weapons of war, but we currently have 20,000 laws regarding firearms on the books. Will 20,001 be that big change that is needed ?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM

35,182 posts, read 32,154,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
the killing distance will be a lot less...........
Sabot slugs are good out to a few hundred yards with almost rifle like accuracy but you need a rifled barrel.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM

9,453 posts, read 17,463,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
So libs can’t name a single gun law that would have prevented the Florida shooting. What a surprise
Raise the age of firearm sales to 25.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM

31,046 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe you should ask the parents of the 17 kids if they would have liked their kids to stand a chance by having guards or armed teachers instead of being sitting ducks?

Maybe you should be less outraged at an inanimate object and more outraged at the FBI for completely dropping the ball when Cruz was reported for making online threats using his real name because they were too busy chasing a wild Russian goose to help give Democrats a narrative against Trump?

Two can play this guilt/outrage game.
It would cost 13 billion a year to put an armed guard in every school, it would cost 23 billion a year to fully protect all schools with armed guards. http://cua6.urban.csuohio.edu/public...ill_032813.pdf

The average salary of a school teacher in the US is $53,030 and in addition to teaching you want them to carry a glock in their hand all day and learn tactical shooting. What's to stop them from being disarmed by a student, or are they supposed to learn martial arts as well? What if they mistake a student for an armed assailant?

All that rather than make simple law that would require the same vetting as is done for CCW's for people who want to buy or possess weapons with high capacity detachable magazines, I don't get it...

Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM

31,046 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wow. it's troubling that posters can be this astonishingly ignorant, yet project such smug self righteousness at the same time

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held, in a 5–4 decision, that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home
wow..it's troubling the people who support Heller don't know what Scalia said about acceptable limitations to that right

"Here is Justice Antonin Scalia, writing the majority opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the Supreme Court reversed a long-held position and ruled that the Second Amendment did give Americans an individual right to own firearms. The court said the District’s ban on handguns in private homes went too far, but that regulation of gun ownership was compatible with the Second Amendment:

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. ‘Miller’ said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ‘in common use at the time.’ 307 U.S., at 179, 59 S.Ct. 816. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons.’”

Justice Scalia also wrote:

“It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service — M-16 rifles and the like — may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.”

The prefatory clause to which the justice refers, of course, is the one about “a well-regulated militia.” The AR-15, used in San Bernardino, is an M-16 knockoff.

So rather than saying “assault weapons,” in the future perhaps we should say “the kinds of weapons that Justice Antonin Scalia has defined as ‘dangerous and unusual’ and subject to regulation or an outright ban under the Second Amendment.”

https://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com...trol-argument/

Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,208,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shooting

Weapons
Glock 19 pistol
Walther P22 pistol[4]
Deaths 33 (including the perpetrator)[5]:127
Non-fatal injuries
23 (17 by gunfire)[6]:92[7]
Perpetrator Seung-Hui Cho

Hmmm not a white guy

Not an AR-15

Banning the 15 will do what again?

Did you all forget?
Did you forget that was the ONLY mass shooting in the last 20 years in the US by an asian person and that MOST of them ARE by white guys?

Answering your last question-

It is a fine place to start.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,208,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There are dozens of other guns they can use to kill just as many. Go after the cause, it isn't the gun.
most male animals we are around on a day to day basis are neutered. Short of applying that to humans, we will just have to regulate GUNS.

Or leave the guns alone..... and.....

(You have to have a lisence for just about every other part of modern life, but procreate...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or