U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 02:43 PM

898 posts, read 733,206 times

Advertisements

Probably won't slow down mass shootings immediately but it is a step in the right direction.

Morons try to assume that the change of state of one policy dictates the actions of the entire system overnight.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:49 PM

1,699 posts, read 415,794 times
Vlogger Styxhexenhammer666 talk about Trump's proposed bump stock ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NovZ3ubCDvs

Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,075,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

wrong my friend, even in 1787, firearms technology was advancing, the founding fathers knew what they had then would not be what we have now. the second amendment DOES NOT LIMIT what the people can own in regards to arms. remember the idea was to have state and local militias in good working order to defend the country here at home rather than have a huge standing army. in fact if you were to actually READ the constitution you would find that the only branch of the military that is constitutionally protected is the navy, because the founding fathers wanted to make sure the sea lanes were open for free trade.

and since the founding fathers wanted a citizen military, the citizens needed access to modern firearms.
And since we no longer have a citizen military, and the actual military is not going away, there is no longer any reason for civilians to have guns, or for the second amendment to exist.

Thank you for admitting that.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:52 PM

9,764 posts, read 3,171,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Raise the age of firearm sales to 25.

How does that help in general?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:53 PM

26,783 posts, read 19,084,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Did you forget that was the ONLY mass shooting in the last 20 years in the US by an asian person and that MOST of them ARE by white guys?

wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binghamton_shootings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oikos_...ooting#Suspect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_murders

Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,781,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I know someone who is deathly afraid of frogs. There is no frog in the continental US that can kill or injure a human. That fear is irrational.

While the probability of a home invasion is low, the possibility still exists. Like a house fire, the results are almost always catastrophic. While I do not live in fear of either a home invasion or a house fire, I do take precautions to minimize my risk. I have networked smoke detectors as well as ones connected to my home alarm. If any in my house are triggered, they all make noise. I also keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen where there is an open flame when cooking.

While I won't go into detail about my personal security, I will say that I carry a pistol with me all of the time. I'm taking a break from work right now in my home office and I am armed. There are a lot of people who will think that is odd. I don't. To me a holstered pistol on my hip is no different than carrying around my wallet and car keys.
One of the elements of firearms ownership that is often overlooked is that just the concept of private firearm ownership affects behavior. In other words, scumbags, knowing that firearms are in general population will behave a certain way. They do not want to die stealing copper tubing from an air conditioning unit.

If home security was not a viable reason to own firearms, scumbags would increase activity as risk for them is lowered In other words, everyone benefits from private firearm ownership.

A gun does not have to be used to be beneficial to society.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 PM

33,909 posts, read 42,165,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not sure what is being done about weapons of war, but we currently have 20,000 laws regarding firearms on the books. Will 20,001 be that big change that is needed ?
See how the vocabulary has morphed? Automatic rifle to assault rifle to weapon of war/weapon of mass destruction.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:03 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,210,724 times

Most arent by white guys? Is that what you are saying? Do you want to post kill ratios? How many killed by race of the mass murderer?

kinda sick topic.... but I didn't start the comparison - but I can certainly finish it

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 02-21-2018 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 03:04 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All the emotional knee jerk responses I get, are completely unconstitutional.

Fact based
Emotion based

The fact is, my rights are not subject to your will.
Your emotions think they are.
So you might think you should be able to drive without a license or drive while intoxicated. Guess what. You can't and that infringes on your rights plenty. Or you want to smoke indoors in a lot of places. Guess what. You can't. Or you want to burn toxic chemicals in your yard, or shoot your gun in a residential neighborhood. Guess what. Sometimes you can't. So yeah, I guess your little rights can be infringed upon when it comes to the rights of the many.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:05 PM

9,458 posts, read 17,475,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How does that help in general?
You asked your question and I answered it, knowing damn well you'd keep moving the goal post. I was right.

But regardless, kids don't possess the maturity to buy guns. Kids can't even buy beer until they're 21. Insurance companies charge premiums for drivers under age 25. Why? Because kids get into more accidents as a result of behaving immaturely behind the wheel. They collected the data and they've acted on it. One of my neighbor's kids is in jail right now for pistol whipping him. The kid is an unbelievable creep, and well known in this town and it kills me that he has access to guns.

Now don't mistake this for me saying kids shouldn't be allowed to shoot. I'm all for firearms training for kids. I've taken my own kids shooting. But I'll be damned if I want them or their friends walking into guns stores and buying guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or