U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM

4,004 posts, read 1,219,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The time to ban the sales is now. With the numbers of AR, already in the market, will take 15 years to wash them out.
It will take 15 years to wash out AR? Lol what?

9,440 posts, read 5,817,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
On one hand, you have been calling Trump and the conservatives Nazis, Fascists and racists, and you want to resist them. Some even said Trump is literally Hitler. On the other hand, you advocate everything from strict gun control to a total ban.

So when the Nazis, Fascists, racists and their Russian friends come for you, if not the AR-15s, what do you use to fight and resist them?

They'll call in the UN. You don't think liberals would actually defend themselves do you? Apple will probably have a special UN-911 button just for them.

33,884 posts, read 42,114,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No. No ban, just an semi-automatic weapon ban. We ban automatics, why not semis?

Why should my main goose hunting shotgun be banned? Semiautomatic shotguns are likely the most prevalent type for waterfowl followed by a pump.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:51 PM

7,919 posts, read 5,037,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you really imagine that the government is going to come for you, and you are going to fend off the US military with an AR-15 you are more deluded than I thought. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm taking it you know nothing about Afghanistan?
Were I to be living in a failed-state, a lawless jungle or some bedraggled wasteland, then yes, I'd be worried about marauders - official or others. Then, maybe - just maybe - a "well armed militia" of my fellow tribesmen might have some efficacy against said marauders. But in a non-failed state, with centralized authority and the infrastructure to back up that authority, no amount of privateers - however righteous (or self-righteous) - would stand a chance.

Since this thread was "Godwin'd" from the very start, let's try this thought-experiment... suppose that all persons of Jewish ethnicity, living in Germany in 1933, were armed with STG-44s (the loose "equivalent" of a modern AR-15). Let's suppose further that they had adequate training, ammunition, and a means of communicating with each other, to give warning and to organize and so forth. All of those folks... a million, or two, or whatever... fully armed and supplied and well-trained. Do we seriously think, that these people would be able to successfully defend themselves against Nazi oppression?

Actually, there's no need for a thought experiment. We have an actual historical case: the Jewish uprising in the Warsaw ghetto, in 1943. These folks were genuine heroes - fighting with the ferocity of someone who not only has a righteous cause, but has nothing left to lose. Their enemy wasn't exactly the best troops. And yet, the defeat was swift and crushing. A year later, the population of Warsaw itself tried something similar - with similar results.

One more example, and a modern one: the revolution/civil war in Syria. The "rebels" are an actual fighting force, supplied with quite a bit more than AR-15s. And yet - how's it going for them?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 10,140,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
What about it? The Velvet Revolution of 1989 also shows you can overthrow governments without a single shot fired by a completely unarmed populace.
The Velvet Revolution shows what kids can accomplish when they're pissed off at the government.

6,857 posts, read 6,189,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
On one hand, you have been calling Trump and the conservatives Nazis, Fascists and racists, and you want to resist them. Some even said Trump is literally Hitler. On the other hand, you advocate everything from strict gun control to a total ban.

So when the Nazis, Fascists, racists and their Russian friends come for you, if not the AR-15s, what do you use to fight and resist them?

Let me see if I remember how this goes....................................

oh yes. If we didn't have AR 15s because they are illegal we would still get them just like you guys say that the mass shooters would get them if they were illegal.

OR:

We would use rocks and knives and dirt clods to kill them. You know, one of those "inanimate object" things that are the same as a gun.

18,834 posts, read 9,626,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Our vote.
You are kidding right?

Trump colluded with Russia and won the election. You will never be able to win an election as he will continue to collude with the Russians.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,733,677 times
Cases like Afghanistan are more about remote pockets of resisters hidden in nooks and crannies in the mountains than about being "armed," per se. Both the Soviets and the Americans would probably have had a hard time "defeating" those groups of people even if they were completely unarmed. They're just too remote and too hard to find, too hard to identify, etc. Not unlike Vietnam.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Another Trumpet who thought they were asking a clever question, but which isn't really very clever at all.

Let's say I go out and buy an AR-15 to defend myself against the Trump Nazi regime. Then the day comes when aforementioned Trump Nazi regime comes after me. When they do, they will come after me with a whole army armed with machine guns, tanks, etc., with air force reinforcements and who knows what else. My little AR-15 will be the most pathetic little thing against all that.

Knowing all that, it's not worth it to even pretend I can defend myself against all that. That AR-15 would be a complete waste of money. Anyone who thinks they're defending themselves against government takeover by buying some rifles, guns and whatnot is living in a libertarian fantasy world.
So your plan is to bend over?

Once upon a time, against the most powerful empire the world has ever seen, someone said this:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. ”

Old 02-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Let me see if I remember how this goes....................................

oh yes. If we didn't have AR 15s because they are illegal we would still get them just like you guys say that the mass shooters would get them if they were illegal.

OR:

We would use rocks and knives and dirt clods to kill them. You know, one of those "inanimate object" things that are the same as a gun.
And you believe the nonsense the conservatives tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or