Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 07:42 AM

34,118 posts, read 18,364,781 times

Advertisements

We already have many, strict gun control laws on the Fed, State, and Local levels. Most people don't want more gun control laws. The Democrats, and Republicans know, more gun control is political suicide. That is why Obama couldn't get it passed when he had a Dem majority in both the House, and Senate.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Will we ever feel safe in America, again? When our children can't go to school, people can't worship in their church, not safe in movie theatres, shopping malls, will it ever end? Road rage. Tempers flare, pull out that pistol.

Law enforcement killed trying to help people or issue an arrest. Too many innocent lives lost.

Too many guns and not enough restrictions, IMO.

Tragic. NRA runs our country. 2nd amendment? Did the forefathers really mean to have guns all over the place???? I don't think so.

So many questions, not enough answers.
I agree however theres not much one can do about it if the population isn't in favor of radical steps to curb the next massacre. America being a nation of guns its logical to expect every once in a while some nut job using his right to bear arms to kill many. Now we wait for the next berserker to make his statement in life.
As for what the forefathers thought? I hardly think they would have condoned the senseless slaughter that goes on all too frequently..

Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,061,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
So then why didn't Obama just get his pen out and sign an EO like he did with all other legislation that he couldn't get Congress to pass?
B/C the President does't have all the answers. Obama wanted congress to work together to come up with something as the Second Amendment isn't something you can just do an EO on and it's over with. This subject goes too far and too deep into individual states and you need everyone on board to come to some collective agreement. Sadly the (R) were being obstructionist and doing everything in their power to make him a one term President. That was even more apparent when the (R) controlled congress for the later 6 years and the gun subject was a no go zone. Now (R) have full control so lets see what can get done now? This Administration has the full backing of both House and Senate if they can't do something now it means they don't want to do anything and never did in my eyes.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 AM

34,118 posts, read 18,364,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carper675 View Post
The Democrat controlled 111th Congress did not debate closing the gun-show loophole or reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, which Obama promised to pursue on the presidential campaign trail.
There is no gun show loophole, and assault weapons are already highly regulated. The law that was allowed to sunset did nothing, and was a joke based on the looks of the firearms.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM

26,587 posts, read 26,472,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Your own statistics show you are wrong. They started closing mental hospitals In late 70s and early 80s.
They started closing mental hospitals in the early 1960s. Read up.

HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN - NYTimes.com

Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 465 times
Default Why the US has the most mass shootings?

Why the US has the most mass shootings? If you take India, millions of people live there. They speak the different language, different religion, culture, etc. but still they don't kill each other. I do not deny the fact that they have other issues, but when I googled it, I couldn't find any mass shooting except terrorist attach.What are the points we are missing here?

Accessibility to guns
There is no strong family support
mental health and access to healthcare
Here there is no 2nd chance, for example, one time if you go to jail there is no way you can change your life back to normal

Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 AM

189 posts, read 171,241 times
Default Gun control argument

I just can’t get on board with the whole gun control argument when it comes to school shootings. There are posts in FB stating that “we love our guns more than our children”. If guns were the problem, why were there no school shooting 50 years ago when the NRA had teachers teaching children gun safety in the classroom? Isn’t more about the desensitizing of children? Violent movies and video games....parents no longer involved?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,904,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I just can’t get on board with the whole gun control argument when it comes to school shootings. There are posts in FB stating that “we love our guns more than our children”.
Because people are ridiculous.

Quote:
If guns were the problem, why were there no school shooting 50 years ago when the NRA had teachers teaching children gun safety in the classroom?
This is the million dollar question.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I just can’t get on board with the whole gun control argument when it comes to school shootings. There are posts in FB stating that “we love our guns more than our children”. If guns were the problem, why were there no school shooting 50 years ago when the NRA had teachers teaching children gun safety in the classroom? Isn’t more about the desensitizing of children? Violent movies and video games....parents no longer involved?

When I was in elementary school 50 years ago, "weirdo" kids were shunned and not let in the mainstream schools. They were "sent away" or institutionalized. Our laws and mechanisms for handling people with mental illness have relaxed to the point that no one can do anything to them but let them roam freely.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,932,160 times
And yet, and yet, in countries where it's harder to get a gun, these things rarely happen. In this country, we are awash in them with practically free-reign. No questions asked, even for an AR-15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies