Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,045,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, I don't believe it would stop them completely. I have acknowledge above that I misspoke regarding that. Nothing will stop them altogether. However, there are a lot of things we could do that would lessen the damage, or make it less likely. You guys are against them all.

I'm against the ones that would violate my Constitutional rights more than they already have been and will probably accomplish nothing.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 PM

19,709 posts, read 10,051,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Change it from a "right" to a privilege that requires significant standardized training, an national database along with rigid background checks and yearly evaluations .
Unless it was free, it would not work.
Do you know why if a BG check doesn't come back in 3 days, you can buy the gun anyway? Congress figured that an anti-gun president would cut off funding for BG checks. No BG checks, no guns sold.
Some president would raise the cost of training and evaluations beyond the reach of most people, all it would take is an executive order to raise the fee to $10,000 or $100,000.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,429,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They would just change to another gun. Other than looks, not much difference between an AR15 and the 22 rifle I have owned since I was 8. Both have a 20 round mag, both are semi auto. One uses a .22 round, the other a .223 round.
Well, regardless of your point having some validity as to choices available, that's just slightly disingenuous of you to suggest the two cartridges having the same ballistic capability or potential for damage. How many .22 rimfires were sent to Vietnam again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf__uAX-dX4

There are any number of us out here with some experience with both chuckling at your preposterous notion.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-16-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,045,766 times
Quote:

Why would anyone use a semi-auto rifle for home defense??? A shottie or pistol would work much better. As for your older weapons, the same thing applies as far as my opinion goes. My opinion is not that really even that the guns themselves necessarily need to be banned, but if you are using a gun for hunting or protection, you would NEVER need one of those 20-30 round magazines.

What works well for you may not work well for everyone,

Shotguns have heavy recoil......not good for some women and older people.
Most also have very limited capacity.

Pistols are good but the ones that don't have very limited capacity can be complicated to load and reload for someone who's not used to it and difficult for someone with small hands or arthritis to operate.

Why the need for high capacity, you ask?

Simple.......people miss.

High stress and an unpracticed homeowner with fear and adrenaline at work may fire off several rounds in the heat of the moment and not even realize how many they have fired.

This is why your hear stories of police firing what a layman would think is way more rounds than necessary to bring down an assailant.

Home invaders don't always come one at a time either.

A semi auto such as an AR15 has light recoil, easy to load, aim and shoot, unusually has attachment points for things like a flashlight and has acceptable capacity.

The most common ammo used in the AR platform, .223/5.56 is designed to be effective without over penetrating through too many walls and potentially into the next house.

Overall, this makes the AR15 an outstanding home defense choice for many people.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,481,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
What about our children's rights to attend school without getting shot in the stomach?
Take it up with the law makers that stated schools are gun free zones and no armed deterrence present to protect them.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,481,643 times
Quote:
My emotions? My emotions have nothing to do with being smart enough to realize that certain weapons have no practical purpose. It takes no emotion whatsoever to realize that people who vehemently fight to keep their assault rifles don't do so for the purpose of protection, or anything of the sort. They do it so they can keep feeling like they are a bada** and so they can swing their **** around in front of their buddies. They have no other practical use, therefore there is no need for regular civilians to have them. I am a gun owner. So is my husband. We do not "fear" guns.
I've taken hogs with them...

Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
AR 15 is a mass murder weapon.

In Indiana, VP Pence made sure to pass legislation to allow guns to be concealed in vehicles on school campuses. I think he got paid, like, 3 million $$$ from NRA for that move.

Vote Republicans the hell out of every office in the land.
They support batterers and murderers.
What did the last administration do? Not much of anything. Don't forget that fact in your outrage...

Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,274,078 times
Ever notice how its always MY rights? My my my my my. Me me me me me. Wah wah wah. I want MY rights!

The rights of kids to stay alive? Oh screw them. That violates MY rights to have cool toys.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,177,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Really?

Talk about emotion-based. Where does the constitution say you have a right to an AR 15?
Where does it say it doesn’t?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM

1,330 posts, read 696,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Of course you blindly trust government to not abuse that power, and make it cost prohibitive for the law abiding to own guns. What other rights do you want to give government total control over? Speech, travel? How about having to demonstrate a "need" to travel, and pay the appropriate fees, and have the appropriate papers?

No thanks. We are not East Germany because of our Constitution AS WRITTEN.
Then you don't want to fix the problem. Again, me, me, me, me, me, me. You don't care if it would help fix the issue at hand and benefits the community.

Pilot's licenses cost between $4-8k. Yet those who want to fly pay the price without issue. I see no reason why gun ownership can't be the same. Provides education, training and the ability to ensure owners are responsible.

If it saves a single life, it's worth it. Unless, of course you really don't care about anyone but yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies