Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Wait, do you think the government can somehow intuit who needs a gun and who doesn’t? Or are you going to count on people self reporting their uses for the gun? How in the hell would that work?!? No one is going to fill out the paperwork and check the box for “Plan to shoot a bunch of people” even if that was their intent. We need workable solutions not pie in the sky foolishly optimistic ones.
Before I was born, apparently we used to make examples out of our despicable criminal offenders...

Since I was 15 years old following my first lock down drill in the event of an active shooter, following 9/11 I have been vehemently opposed to the school being a gun free zone. I laid on the floor looking at the clock. From the time it started until I heard boots in the hall. K9s barking. And shouts of CLEAR. 45 minutes.
45 minutes for a planned drill.

That's inexcusable.

By the time I graduated highschool, my senior year they got it down to about 20 minutes...

God forbid it was a random attack.

If that would have been the case, my happy ass would have busted out of the classroom, ran to the bathroom got up on the toilet popped the ceiling tile and ran on the top of the concrete wall to my "safe space" unless I was in shop class. Then I could bludgeon the scumbag with steel round stock,

Old 02-17-2018, 07:25 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
I am saying that in other countries, you can own a gun legally under extremely specific circumstances and after a very thorough process. It is not a "right" to own a gun. I want to see the same thing here. In other words, it should be illegal to own a gun without a very specific process that is followed in other way more civilized countries that actually are able to protect the kids at schools.
Exactly what countries and processes?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It doesn't say we arn't either.

That is the beauty of individual liberty. You choose for you and I choose for me, but don't even try to choose for me. You may not like that I say no thanks, I'll choose what I am well regulated in it's use.
There is individual liberty, but it only goes so far. So you like to drink and drive drunk. You get to do that? No. You don't. You like to not have to get a driver's license. You get to do that? No. You don't. So no, we individuals don't get to choose what we will and won't do in a society.

The second amendment talks about a well regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state. I don't think most individuals have to worry about that these days since we have a military to do that.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:27 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You ever hunt rabbits when a dozen run out of a burrow? Maybe you can reload a single shot fast enough to get more than one. Few people can. By the way, unless that lever action is single shot, it will fire as fast as a semi auto and to use your logic, you don't need it.

No it wont fire as fast as a semi auto, as much as folks keep claiming this kind of BS. Its amazing how suddenly their favorite badass gun isn't any better than the old ones once a mass shooting happens and the focus goes onto the semi autos. And you must re-aim a bolt or lever action after every shot. Plus the ammo capacity is under 10 rounds .

Its humorous to watch every downplay the ability of the semi auto when the heat is on them.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
No it wont fire as fast as a semi auto, as much as folks keep claiming this kind of BS. Its amazing how suddenly their favorite badass gun isn't any better than the old ones once a mass shooting happens and the focus goes onto the semi autos. And you must re-aim a bolt or lever action after every shot. Plus the ammo capacity is under 10 rounds .

Its humorous to watch every downplay the ability of the semi auto when the heat is on them.
Then you must not be very good with that lever action. You need more practice.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:29 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The federal government was established to govern the states and secure our rights from state intrusion.
Not to govern the people directly, ever.
Got news for ya. The government governs the people directly plenty. Or would you rather not have an FDA, or an FAA or any number of agencies like that? I wouldn't.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Before I was born, apparently we used to make examples out of our despicable criminal offenders...

Since I was 15 years old following my first lock down drill in the event of an active shooter, following 9/11 I have been vehemently opposed to the school being a gun free zone. I laid on the floor looking at the clock. From the time it started until I heard boots in the hall. K9s barking. And shouts of CLEAR. 45 minutes.
45 minutes for a planned drill.

That's inexcusable.

By the time I graduated highschool, my senior year they got it down to about 20 minutes...

God forbid it was a random attack.

If that would have been the case, my happy ass would have busted out of the classroom, ran to the bathroom got up on the toilet popped the ceiling tile and ran on the top of the concrete wall to my "safe space" unless I was in shop class. Then I could bludgeon the scumbag with steel round stock,
Yikes! 45 minutes is crazy. Sounds like your survival plan was better than the schools.

It’s like my office tornado drill where we were instructed to congregate in the glass walled break room on the 4th floor. Um.... no. My happy ass was going down to the basement level and into the bathroom where I’d have a greater chance of survival and water to drink til they dug me out. When stupid people make stupid plans, I feel no need to comply.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM

188 posts, read 283,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Exactly what countries and processes?
Japan and Australia are two of the well discussed examples. Most Scandinavian countries (e.g., Sweden) is another one. Obviously, the people there value life more than here, so I do not have high hopes. Here people talk about preserving ridiculous "rights" of historical significance...(obviously indoctrinated and brain washed by NRA and the gun industry that becomes richer and richer)...

Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
I live in suburban southern South Carolina, on the Georgia line. Probably the highest concentration of gun owners and conservatives on the eastern seaboard. There hasn't been a violent crime in my neighborhood in the past decade. Everyone I know owns a gun. We have a sign upon entering our subdivision that says warning everyone here owns a gun. This should be the standard, not the exception. There would be a lot less violence.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Then you must not be very good with that lever action. You need more practice.

Im not the one claiming I need a semi auto to be able to kill game. I can drop them dead with a bolt action or lever action all day long, and have never needed a semi auto in my entire life. The speed in which I might need to get off a second shot is irrelevant .

But you cannot shoot one as fast as a semi no matter what you wish to claim. Simple physics dictates that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies