Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The point is the degree of severity of lost guns by the government, not questioning that it doesn't happen. It is just a deflection to insinuate that government guns are a large part of the problem and just a few anecdotes isn't going to convince anyone. Lost and stolen guns by civilians is a large problem when they end up in homicides.
So the problem is the people who own firearms legally, and not the people who steal the firearms? Seems the focus should be on stopping the criminals from stealing, not on stopping citizens from owning something. I guess you really do see victims as criminals.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
A typical, unsubstantiated emotion-driven subjective claim.
Like everything you post.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Like everything you post.
Statistics are neither subjective nor emotion-driven. Try again.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
A typical, unsubstantiated emotion-driven subjective claim.

Take it as you will (shrug) If it's so easy then refute it beyond all doubt then do so. I'll listen to whatever you come up with. I know the truth. I've been there. What you personally feel about that really doesn't matter.

I wonder, do you know how much dangerous material/weapons are in civilian hands under the military? Many arms and ammunition depots are "contractor operated." Many more aren't. What has been found is that contractor operated installations have a far lower rate of pilfer. But it's still a considerable issue

The chief security officer at the depot I worked at was once asked by a Pentagon liason what his primary security issue was. Care to take a guess at what he said? The answer might surprise you.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 AM

59,041 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
"Figures DON'T lie but, LIARS figure."

Old 11-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Figures DON'T lie but, LIARS figure."

Nice. And the statistics the antis love to cite are indeed figures by liars.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:22 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said? "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said? "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

Yep. There has generally been a serious skepticism about the stats that the opposition to firearms rights side has been waving like a battle standard on this and other threads. They just cannot fathom not accepting them as the end game to this issue.

This is however behavior that is common to all classroom educated people. There is no experiencing the reality of the world. It's sort of like the difference between engineers and tradesmen. Something I am more than familiar with and it's a good correlation here.

The engineers all are adamant that their project works or will work because the figures and drawings say so. On paper. They aren't the ones in the ditch putting it together in a nasty swamp that the drawings and figures don't take into account.

It's at this point that the rubber meets the road and what it says on paper just doesn't matter a fart in a high wind. But minds who have never experienced things down in the ditch and have built their knowledge from a classroom just don't understand the attitude down here that refuses to accept the "facts" figures and drawings.

Knowing the difference between knowledge and wisdom is a wisp of smoke to these anti firearms types.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yep. There has generally been a serious skepticism about the stats that the opposition to firearms rights side has been waving like a battle standard on this and other threads. They just cannot fathom not accepting them as the end game to this issue.

This is however behavior that is common to all classroom educated people. There is no experiencing the reality of the world. It's sort of like the difference between engineers and tradesmen. Something I am more than familiar with and it's a good correlation here.

The engineers all are adamant that their project works or will work because the figures and drawings say so. On paper. They aren't the ones in the ditch putting it together in a nasty swamp that the drawings and figures don't take into account.

It's at this point that the rubber meets the road and what it says on paper just doesn't matter a fart in a high wind. But minds who have never experienced things down in the ditch and have built their knowledge from a classroom just don't understand the attitude down here that refuses to accept the "facts" figures and drawings.

Knowing the difference between knowledge and wisdom is a wisp of smoke to these anti firearms types.
I did my engineering degree first but then went on to work on an A&P as well as other trades like welding and solid works 3D modeling. Just because I can calculate something does not mean it can be built, or is feasible to build. I like modular built stuff so it can be constructed in a warehouse and then plopped down with a truck or helicopter, there is no reason for someone to wade around a swamp other than maybe the person who is filling the swamp with gravel to put in a pad.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 11-20-2017 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I did my engineering degree first but then went on to work on an A&P as well as other trades like welding and solid works 3D modeling. Just because I can calculate something does not mean it can be built, or is feasible to build. I like modular built stuff so it can be constructed in a warehouse and then plopped down with a truck or helicopter, there is no reason for someone to wade around a swamp other than maybe the person who is filling the swamp with gravel to put in a pad.

Haha. Pipelines aren't really modular. The project with the swamp I mentioned was an actual real world job we did. It wasn't just the swamp, there were lot's of issues that the "engineer" didn't take into account and he was fuming because his project was seriously over budget and behind schedule.

The brass had been on site and talked to the foreman and the various team lead men and were not happy with the overlooked issues because the project was fixed cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies