Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Oh that sucks, so you were putting VSM's up right in the swamp, you didn't fill part of it in to build an access road?

This was an underground water line so we weren't using VSMs. Oh access wasn't such an issue. The top of the ground was plenty stable. But at our specified trench depth it turned to sucking goo. NV clay. Sometimes called caliche. When dry it's hard as concrete when wet the bottom drops out.

We told the powers that be that the ground was like that in the area we had to work. May as well have been talking to a rock. This was a water line so we had a bedding spec but as written it was a joke on material estimation and time. we had slam bangs running non stop dropping gravel so we could get a base to lay our bedding sand on and all that rock wasn't even written into the job.

It took us a bit before we were stuffing C900 and bolting up valve stations. Serious back to the drawing board stuff. Our whole "engineering" dept was like this. I even went to a job in a big boiler plant with the engineer assigned to look things over and he told me "Well go ahead and put it in the way you think it needs to be and I'll draw it up."

And these clowns were making twice what I was making. Not that I didn't know how to design a piping job, spec it out, estimate my time and materials, stage it and install. But if I had to do that why did why even have an "engineering/planning and estimation dept?

Thus, this is my opinion of these "statistics" getting waved around here. So it's all on paper. Ummm, yea...so what? Am I supposed to be impressed? Not working. "Anecdotal" as that may sound. "Anecdotal". Kinda a cute lil' word huh? Mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats. And little lambs eat ivy.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Yep, all I care about is my one anecdote where I had a gun and was able to defend myself, I frankly don't care about the stats.

Best response yet

Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Again, and again and again, you will NEVER see any numbers on what the military loses. Ever. Do you honestly think they would make the amount of stuff they lose public? I'll trust my own eyes and you can keep using that annoying "acecdotal" crap. As ..intellectual..as you may feel it is to use the term.

Your precious statistics are worth doodley squat. Worthless . Skewed. Unreliable. Mine own eyes hath seen the problem and its not civilian guns. Thus we are at an impasse. Dontcha think?
This post really sums it up. You don’t care about objective fact. You are driven by emotion and anecdotal evidence. It’s ok. There are plenty of people like you out there.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
This post really sums it up. You don’t care about objective fact. You are driven by emotion and anecdotal evidence. It’s ok. There are plenty of people like you out there.
What objective fact? Prove to us all how scintillatingly accurate this "statistical data" you worship is. Did you conduct or participate in the compiling of your precious "objective facts". No? Then how can you flatly state they are actually objective?

Driven by emotion? No. I'm not. I am jaded by experience. There's a difference.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Best response yet
Its all funny until your bleeding out on the ground because you could not defend yourself.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Its all funny until your bleeding out on the ground because you could not defend yourself.

Or worse. Folks like TEP don't understand there are worse things than death. Not being able to defend my loved ones matters more to me. But for someone who has never faced anything more dangerous than commuter traffic I don't expect any understanding beyond what stats say.

Sadly there is no appropriate emoji for me to punctuate that with.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:02 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
And you are one of those people who believe the government. You know Hitler had the German people convinced that he always told the truth. That worked out good.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:25 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yep. There has generally been a serious skepticism about the stats that the opposition to firearms rights side has been waving like a battle standard on this and other threads. They just cannot fathom not accepting them as the end game to this issue.

This is however behavior that is common to all classroom educated people. There is no experiencing the reality of the world. It's sort of like the difference between engineers and tradesmen. Something I am more than familiar with and it's a good correlation here.

The engineers all are adamant that their project works or will work because the figures and drawings say so. On paper. They aren't the ones in the ditch putting it together in a nasty swamp that the drawings and figures don't take into account.

It's at this point that the rubber meets the road and what it says on paper just doesn't matter a fart in a high wind. But minds who have never experienced things down in the ditch and have built their knowledge from a classroom just don't understand the attitude down here that refuses to accept the "facts" figures and drawings.

Knowing the difference between knowledge and wisdom is a wisp of smoke to these anti firearms types.
"This is however behavior that is common to all classroom educated people. There is no experiencing the reality of the world. It's sort of like the difference between engineers and tradesmen. Something I am more than familiar with and it's a good correlation here."

Likewise.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well one good way of preventing theft would be tighter home security of guns but of course there are the people that leave them unattended in their cars and elsewhere. Some of those people that are promoting crime through their carelessness and disregard for guns.
"Well one good way of preventing theft would be" NOT letting them out of jail EARLY.

One day off their sentence for each "good" day served should be reversed.

1 day ADDED to their sentence for very BAD day served.

No more plea bargaining DOWN gun charges.

I know 1 state that has a 5 year MANDATORY sentence for committing a crime with a gun.

That is the FIRST thing plead bargained down. STOP IT.

INCREASE the MANDATORY time served and NO PLEA BARGAINING IT AWAY OR DOWN.

Mandatory is just that and should NOT be ignored.

Again YOU want to go after the LEGAL gun owner and say NOTHING about those committing the crimes.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
They do this because there are a laundry list of places you cant take your guns. Our libritarian slant in our nation allows employers to forbid guns in the work place as well which is another issue.
The Appalachian Law School in Va, shooting is a prime example.

"Amended
Distressed student facing suspension stormed through the campus of the Appalachian School of Law today with a handgun, killing the dean, a professor and a student and wounding three others before he was tackled by fellow students, the state police reported."

"Mr. Odighizuwa was subdued by three law students who were experienced police officers, the authorities said."

"We're trained to run into the situation instead away from it,'' said one of the three, Mikael Gross, 34, of Charlotte, N.C., who ran to his car for his bulletproof vest and service pistol before tackling the suspect."

3 Slain at Law School; Student Is Held - The New York Times

How much time and lives were wasted becuae the police officers were NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY in the school?

I repeat, "who ran to his car for his bulletproof vest and service pistol"

NONE of the 3 officers WERE CARRYING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.