Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Handguns are the weapons of choice in most gun homicides in Chicago.

Most gun homicides in Chicago do not target a mass of people.
500 to 700 Chicago homicides per year are not a "mass of people"?

So it is the emotion of a mass shooting that outweighs the actual, total number of people over time? No matter what the anti (legal) gun Progressive say, these "mass shootings" are few in number, and the number of death pales in comparison to inner city gang deaths, automobile deaths, and other risks. To remove the law abiding's rights for these incidents is ineffective in stopping them and ridiculous.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 AM

18,716 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carper675 View Post
Exactly and the truth is many of our founding fathers and ancestors didnt even like the various amendments to the constitution including George Washington.
True. They worried that the BOR named only SOME rights. And that slick lawyers might start saying things like, "Well, since the right to peaceably assemble is mentioned but the right to ride horses is not, that means the people don't have the right to ride horses."

That's why they added the 9th amendment, which said that just because a certain right wasn't named, that didn't mean that people didn't have it. People's rights were not necessarily restricted to just those named in the Constitution.

When the Constitution was being written, people like Washington felt that the Fed govt had NO powers, except those that WERE explicitly named in the Constitution (this was later codified in the 10th amendment). There was nothing in the original Constitution giving the govt the power to restrict speech, or the right to bear arms etc. So the govt couldn't do those things. No amendment was needed, they felt. And naming certain rights for special protection "elevated" them above other rights. Washington et. al. wanted all rights to be equally important, and thought the BOR was superfluous.

Washington and his buds were certainly right about slick lawyers trying to take the people's rights away, though. Even with the BOR in place, and ironclad rights codified including the right to religion, keeping and bearing arms etc., we have lawyers and judges trying mightily to overturn or ignore them; and even armchair "lawyers" in this very forum spending large amounts of time trying to fool people into believing the Constitution doesn't mean what it says. Washington et. al. saw these people coming a long way off, and did their best to guard the nation against them.

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I felt the same way about this quote. If you think King is ignorant with such a statement, you then must be under a gun spell.
Only because he agrees with your "feelings". This is one subject that needs way fewer "feelings" and way more logic and thought...

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I disagree with you. The only difference between SEMI AUTO AR-15's, and AK clones is their cosmetics. There are so many in the hands of private, law abiding citizens, to confiscate them would be a tremendous hardship, and very difficult. Also, owners of these guns have owned them, and used them responsibly for decades, and would not easily give them up. Also, after shootings continue to occur when AR-15's, and others are banned, they would come after ALL semi auto rifles, pistols, and shotguns. After that, it would be Australia, and further bans. They NEVER stop. It is a push for ultimate government control, and dependency.
With all of your private firearm ownership; your nation has been adjudged less free across the board of recognized individual freedoms...so.....how is the 2nd performing at actually preventing anything mentioned in the 2nd?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
Less than a year ago, NBC said that millennials were buying guns - https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...o-game-n779826

Buying them for different reasons but still buying them at the same rate as older generations.

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Requires 38 states to ratify a repeal. It's not going to happen.
Agreed. This train has left the station and you're all on it until it reaches it's eventual destination, whatever that might be.

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I disagree with you. The only difference between SEMI AUTO AR-15's, and AK clones is their cosmetics. There are so many in the hands of private, law abiding citizens, to confiscate them would be a tremendous hardship, and very difficult. Also, owners of these guns have owned them, and used them responsibly for decades, and would not easily give them up. Also, after shootings continue to occur when AR-15's, and others are banned, they would come after ALL semi auto rifles, pistols, and shotguns. After that, it would be Australia, and further bans. They NEVER stop. It is a push for ultimate government control, and dependency.
I just laid in a huge order with Bushmaster. Got a smoking deal in the bulk order so if a ban does happen, I am well positioned to make a mint selling off the stock I laid in.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 AM

956 posts, read 1,206,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Chicago has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country. How's that working out?

Lack of laws is not the problem, and neither is the NRA. They can put a million more laws on the books but it serves no purpose if there is no enforcement.

Taking guns away from responsible citizens only leaves guns in the hands of the criminals who don't care about laws anyway. This is the point the easily mortified liberals don't understand. The easily mortified liberals don't have a clue as to what they're rallying against or what kind of a solution is practical and workable.

I never knew Chicago has a fortress around the city? Such a weak argument I see always from right wingers. Guns in Chicago come from Indiana. Guns in NYC come from the south up i-95 and flood the market - every so often the FBI does huge bust of these illegal guns.

Why have any laws to begin with? Criminals by definition don't follow them anyway.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,396,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
unless the 2nd amendment is repealed, which would take voting to appeal in 38 states or the supreme court illegally changing the constitution, the 2nd amendment will never go away.

and if by some wild happenstance the 2nd amendment was repealed, there are 350 million guns in this country. maybe a third of law abiding citizens would give them up voluntarily. the rest would not.

can you image the government forcibly entering homes, searching them, and taking guns from citizens? that is a scary thought which would not end well for anyone.
If the second amendment was repealed, gun ownership would become a state issue.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
I never knew Chicago has a fortress around the city? Such a weak argument I see always from right wingers. Guns in Chicago come from Indiana. Guns in NYC come from the south up i-95 and flood the market - every so often the FBI does huge bust of these illegal guns.

Why have any laws to begin with? Criminals by definition don't follow them anyway.
So, you agree gun laws DON'T Work? Criminals either steal them, or buy them illegally. It will always be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies