Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The fact that there is such a law is enough. People won't take their AR-15s out of the house. They'll be curiosity items, like the kitsch in the china cabinet.

In NY, the Safe Act has done its part even though some provisions are ignored. The word is out: illegal weapons will get you in trouble and once the trouble starts it will only get worse the more is found out.

Most people are law biding citizens. The won't publicly flout laws especially if they might go to jail.
You do realize they AREN'T the people who kill others, no? All gun control laws do is keep people safe from those who wouldn't violate the law, anyway. The problem is... criminals and killers don't obey the law, which renders any supposed gun control laws completely ineffective. Do people really not understand that?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:56 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
An Ar15 is not a weapon of war

my Henry lever action rifle (45-70) will do more damage than the punnie AR15 and its tiny 22cal round
Exactly. The AR-15 was designed as a smaller version of the AR-10 which was originally targeted for the civilian market. Armalite tried to get it into some military trials but failed.

Your standard semi-auto .30-06 deer hunting rifle is almost the same rifle as used by the US Army during WWI. If the AR-15 is going to be classified as a "weapon of war" then then we should throw about 90% of ever gun design into that category. The military and civilian markets are not shy about stealing each other's designs.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Wasn’t the shooter a legal gun owner?
He was a mental defective. We just didn't catch him in time.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If you need 30 shots to do it you have a serious problem and need to spend a lot more time at the range.
I spend time at the range and take training classes. I don't need 30 rounds but I want them. In fact, I have a few dozen extra mags just in case 30 rounds isn't enough.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:57 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You apparently don't know anyone who hunts hogs or coyotes, then. AR-15s are popular for hogs, and excellent for coyote hunting.
Must be really bad shots/have bad aim!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
True enough on #6 but let's keep something in mind here.

Part of our current problem may be that the young are seeing a society that does not have their best interests at heart.

How would you feel if there was a serial killer running around, say the one last year in Florida, you were a 19 year old woman, and the State would not allow you to have deadly force to use against someone, who if encountered, clearly wants to do you in, either as a hard or soft (ie, rape) kill?

Just look at it from the tactical standpoint; do you want to have to fight that life threatening fight at point blank range or would you rather tell "him" at 15 yards "Go AWAY!"?
There is nothing forcing a 19-year old woman to live on her own without protection. I would live in restricted building, live with family, etc. to mitigate the risk of being the victim of a crime.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
haha millennials will get gun control? let them do it like they do other things, stop buying it

Harley Davidson blames millennials for not buying them so they are in financial trouble

Colt and Remington are bankrupt

instead of gun control, they could keep doing what they are now, stop buying things they don't want

Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I believe Milennials will turn "That One Specific Corner" our generation was unable/incapable of turning during our time "at bat."

My hunch is that this latest/unfortunate Massacre will be a turning point in the United States of America's gun culture.

Unlike 20th century pro-gun advocates, these "youngins" are not in denial (and unafraid) of the fact that The United States of America is comprised of people from diverse racial/cultural backgrounds, and therefore see no reason to arm themselves against a non-existent opposing force. Unlike us Old folks, they're not afraid of differences. If anything, they embrace and celebrate "Difference."

Life and time moves forward, not backwards.

GO KIDS!

Sounds like a road map to civil war! Go kids!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
There is nothing forcing a 19-year old woman to live on her own without protection. I would live in restricted building, live with family, etc. to mitigate the risk of being the victim of a crime.
With all due respect, it does sort of sound like the Congressman telling the young woman, "Young lady, if I got raped, I wouldn't want an abortion.".

People who are not wearing the same shoes should not be telling others of the risks they must take.

IMHO.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:04 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You do realize they AREN'T the people who kill others, no? All gun control laws do is keep people safe from those who wouldn't violate the law, anyway. The problem is... criminals and killers don't obey the law, which renders any supposed gun control laws completely ineffective. Do people really not understand that?
Most people are not car thieves either, but dealerships still keep all the keys to their inventory locked up. How many millions of LEGAL gun owners keep their weapon in an unlocked drawer or in the open where a criminal can steal it? The laws are just "feel good" measures to make it look like the government is doing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies