U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2017, 03:20 PM

1,202 posts, read 382,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Correct! If it is solar noon at 75W(Philadelphia) at 12:00EST for instance, solar noon would have been at 11:30EST in locations 7.5 East of that meridian, and won't be solar noon until 12:30EST for locations 7.5 West of that meridian. In other words, eastern Maine experiences local/soar noon wayyy before western PA or Ohio will.
That's why It's stupid, as solar noon should never occur before midday imo
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 03:26 PM

2,194 posts, read 843,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
I hate the fact that the sun rises before 6 am. Cannot bring myself to wake up that early and anyhow the length of day in summer here is longer than you'd want to stay awake for. It's such a waste of daylight, just like being on GMT in winter.

As I said, time zones are set by the government and the variance in sunrise/set times at the same latitudes shows there is no logic to any of it. Also I live at the same longitude as Spain, so it should be the same time zone.
Actually, if you look at a graph of sunrise/set for an entire year, you'll see the natural symmetry of it:

That example is from approx. 50N Lat., but it demonstrates how daylight ebbs and flows naturally. It does not account for the effects of 'zoned' time, or of the application of daylight/summer-time.

When one declares a single time for a whole swath of Earthly longitude, there are complications: celestial phenomena occur at different times in different locations within a time zone. Succinctly - man has mucked things up, LOL. And as long as standardized(zoned that is) time remains the rule, I will prefer to reside as far east within such zone as is possible.

As far as 'hating' that sunrise can occur before 6am?.....

Welcome to 23 1/2 tilted planet earth!

Old 12-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
That's why It's stupid, as solar noon should never occur before midday imo
Again, welcome to planet Earth! Nothing "stupid" about it.

Study this analemma:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...emma_Earth.png

Don't want noon before 12 midday? Move west within your zone!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Again, welcome to planet Earth! Nothing "stupid" about it.

Study this analemma:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...emma_Earth.png

Don't want noon before 12 midday? Move west within your zone!
There's a simpler solution to that. Don't put the clocks back. Plus there are virtually no western climates in the UK that'd move to bar the Isles of Scilly, but then you wouldn't get any snow

Solar noon isn't naturally before midday where I live. It is only before midday because the government messes with the clocks, in previous days people used to align the solar noon to clock noon. Just accept my opinion that solar noon being before midday is stupid!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Actually, if you look at a graph of sunrise/set for an entire year, you'll see the natural symmetry of it:

That example is from approx. 50N Lat., but it demonstrates how daylight ebbs and flows naturally. It does not account for the effects of 'zoned' time, or of the application of daylight/summer-time.

When one declares a single time for a whole swath of Earthly longitude, there are complications: celestial phenomena occur at different times in different locations within a time zone. Succinctly - man has mucked things up, LOL. And as long as standardized(zoned that is) time remains the rule, I will prefer to reside as far east within such zone as is possible.

As far as 'hating' that sunrise can occur before 6am?.....

Welcome to 23 1/2 tilted planet earth!
My climate would be much better if the Earth wasn't tilted. Plus as I said, it makes no sense as in Spain the sun never rises before 6 am. Also the chart is only like that if its natural in a place and there are no clock changes, so that's rubbish

Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
My climate would be much better if the Earth wasn't tilted. Plus as I said, it makes no sense as in Spain the sun never rises before 6 am. Also the chart is only like that if its natural in a place and there are no clock changes, so that's rubbish

Not rubbish in the Philippines and most other tropical locations - they don't observe DST there.

The reason Spain never has before-6am sunrises is because that country chose the time of the zone ahead of theirs aa their standard time, then observes DST during spring to fall on top of it. Again, a country I'd visit, preferably in May or June, but not to live in owing to politically altered sunrise/set times.

Understand how politics has altered our perception of daylight and you won't be so critical of the natural system.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
There's a simpler solution to that. Don't put the clocks back. Plus there are virtually no western climates in the UK that'd move to bar the Isles of Scilly, but then you wouldn't get any snow

Solar noon isn't naturally before midday where I live. It is only before midday because the government messes with the clocks, in previous days people used to align the solar noon to clock noon. Just accept my opinion that solar noon being before midday is stupid!
Saying something is "stupid" because you refuse to understand the reasons behind it only displays your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies