Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And billions of people in mud huts are modernizing and getting things like mopeds, AC, refrigerators, cars, etc.

Do you plan to:
1. Force them to stay in mud huts
2. Make major changes to your lifestyle
3. Ignore it other than a post about your outrage from time to time
Any person that owns any home appliances, car, TV, computer, smartphone is contributing to this so-called global catastrophe. Yet, most (if not all) people who complain about man-made global warming wouldn't give neither of these things up.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay. So then burn the wood of genetically engineered trees and drive a truck that runs on biodiesel.

There are two camps when it comes to this stuff: the folks like me who want a future that looks like "Star Trek"...and the folks who want a future that looks like "Demolition Man."

We can have BETTER lifestyles if we just alter the technology a bit. I mean, did your lifestyle suffer horribly when leaded gasoline was replaced?
You must not realize we have billions of people with practically no footprint that are coming online and will be producing quite a bit.

A minor technology tweak isn't going to defuse that time bomb.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty how this thread will go (assuming it does just die instantly): A high percentage of people will simply dismiss those "alarmist" left-wing kooks without taking any time to seriously consider the issues that they raise. In the minds of a lot of people, "science" is simply a synonym for "left-wing conspiracy."
"Science" is not a left wing conspiracy. Left wingers ignore science when it doesn't fit their "grow big government even bigger" agenda.

The AGW alarmists have been wrong for so many years that they have lost all credibility. It's too late to cry "wolf" now.

BTW, scientists love having a looming catastrophe that they can make a living predicting. It's not science, it's predictions.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Any person that owns any home appliances, car, TV, computer, smartphone is contributing to this so-called global catastrophe. Yet, most (if not all) people who complain about man-made global warming wouldn't give neither of these things up.
It doesn't work that way. Reducing our carbon output is what you tell OTHER people to do. It's NOT what YOU do.

Just ask Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Solutions are elusive. Many proposed solutions are worse than the underlying problem. But if we don't even recognize that there IS a problem, we're guaranteed to fail.
Not true at all. There is no guarantee when it comes to predicting the future. There are only guesses.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Meanwhile, you'll keep consuming away and off-setting your carbon footprint with posts about global warming on your decice with quite the large carbon footprint to manufacture.

You're like the Bible thumper meeting a prostitute at the liquor store.
I am posting a tablet that is running on a battery that I drove my hybrid to pick up that I use at my office that I walk back and forth to every day.

The only prostitutes are those that will sell their children's future for a few pieces of silver today. Give some your posts recently I will concede you may have more experience in the area of prostituting yourself than I do.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
People in many other developed countries manage to have a much lower per-person ecological footprint that Americans without having to live in mud huts and live off of lentils.
Tell that to hypocrites like Al Gore.

When Al Gore and the other rich hypocrites reduce their carbon footprint to less than the average American, I'll believe their message.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all. There is no guarantee when it comes to predicting the future. There are only guesses.
Ok, so go ahead and swallow a few cyanide pills. No scientist can predict that cyanide will poison you anymore than they can predict that CO2 absorbs infrared heat.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
New technology is our only hope and that is unlikely to come about due to government actions.

And the big reason for that inaction is simple, but no one wants to say it out loud: Democracy.

Look at all those massive projects underway in the authoritarian middle-east. Or, better yet, look at the past and how things like the Great Pyramids were built or how new technologies rose and were quickly integrated into the economy. Mostly, it came from powerful leaders.

The problem with Democracy is that it eventually dissolved into "bubocracy," i.e., rule of Bubba. The politicians are too busy trying to get votes from imbeciles who care more about "JEEEEEZZZZUSSSSS in governance!" than they do the climate.

And, to be fair, the left is turning into the SJW party. Have you noticed climate change talk has all but faded away and has been replaced with throngs of SJWs moaning about "we need safe spaces!" and "dah police is disrespecting us and black folks didn't do nuffin'!" crap. They are more interested in hashtags about fat acceptance then they are about taking strong action against climate change, deforestation, and resource management.

Don't believe me? Answer me this: when was the last time you heard of a massive "protect the climate" rally on any college campus? That's right, it was cancelled: the word "climate" was deemed a microaggression against non-binary, Pokemon identified, LGBTQIOU people of color and womyn.

I honestly almost want a dictatorship of scientists. As long as human rights were respected, they would have my permission to ditch—or at least reform—democracy.

When you have a system of government in place in which a forklift operator from Alabama, a barista in Portland, and a nuclear physicists all have the exact same ability to alter an election and get the same number of votes, what do you think is going to happen?

Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I am posting a tablet that is running on a battery that I drove my hybrid to pick up that I use at my office that I walk back and forth to every day.

The only prostitutes are those that will sell their children's future for a few pieces of silver today. Give some your posts recently I will concede you may have more experience in the area of prostituting yourself than I do.
You think a guy with a pocket knife carved that tablet out of a tree that died of old age?

The etching process for just the processor uses all sort of horrid chemicals and requires petroleum products to make. Then there is the display, case, memory, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies