Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 01:34 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I like this one better:

America of the 21st Century; third world wages with first world prices
Another good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Nope he hasnt. He has stated in the past that he wants the kind of system they have in Alabama and Mexico of much lower taxes on the rich (the opposite of the developed world), much lower tax-to-GDP ratio (the opposite of the developed world), destroyed unions (the opposite of the developed world), much lower income taxes especially on the rich (the opposite of the developed world).
I never said any such thing. I even linked to info I've posted on the topic. Anyone can look up my posts by searching for the word "Mexico." Easy to prove I never said any such thing. Either stop lying, or I'll have to get the moderator to deal with it.

Everyone can see right through you when you become irrational and resort to lying when you're losing the argument.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Quote:
Do you think the people who are disabled should get more than $700 a month to survive on or not? You still havent answered the question. Please dont talk about the inner cities and the lazybones for two seconds and lets just focus on the poor disabled for a second. Do you think they should get more than $700 a month to survive on?
Don't know. That number doesn't tell me much about the cost to the tax payer and the local COL. Is it temporary or permanent? For what disability? Are you talking about a broken foot? A veg person?

What does this have to do with punishing rich to help able bodied poor?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We don't collect $18 trillion/year in federal tax revenue. We collect only $3.5 trillion. About 1/3 of that is spent on only 13.5% of the population, most of whom don't contribute to society. Makes no sense.
That's just ignorant, and considering how easy it is to disprove via a public source like the CBO (Congressional Budget Office), I'd say lazy.

BUDGET PROJECTIONS FOR FY 2017
(As of June 2017)
OUTLAYS
$4.0 Trillion
REVENUES
$3.3 Trillion
DEFICIT
$693 Billion
DEBT HELD BY THE PUBLIC (End of Fiscal Year)
$14.7 Trillion

https://www.cbo.gov/topics/budget

While Congress never passed a budget, the jist of the numbers above are fairly accurate.

I'd point you to the pictograph in the link below for a breakdown of what we spend on the poor. It's not anywhere near 1/3 of the total federal budget. In fact, of the $4 Trillion budget, $200 Billion is spent on interest for our national debt, and another $2.4Billion is spent on Mandatory crap. The largest of the Mandatory items is Social Security.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52408

A more detailed breakdown of the discretionary spending can be found here:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52410

Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
that absolutely depends on how we are defining things.

of course labor produces.
but that's not what im talking about. so what we are doing here is trying to bend the definition of words to reform the argument.

the lefts general approach is to find someone to blame and punish them while making the claim they are attempting to "help" some victim.
Can words not have two different meanings?

Again, I am simply trying to converse with you. I'm not sure where this animosity stems from but its tiresome.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Gee, pages and pages later and no one can come up with a quick list of successful countries which have super low taxes, corporation-friendly laws, anti-worker laws, little to no social safety nets...hmmm.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Wait, you are arguing we should have MUCH higher taxes on the rich and much stronger unions?
Higher taxes on everyone. Look at the top marginal tax bracket comparison chart I posted. And implement a 25% National VAT tax. Your favored developed countries already do both, and consequently are able to collect enough tax revenue to fund the safety net programs you say you want.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
That's just ignorant, and considering how easy it is to disprove via a public source like the CBO (Congressional Budget Office), I'd say lazy.

BUDGET PROJECTIONS FOR FY 2017
(As of June 2017)
OUTLAYS
$4.0 Trillion
REVENUES
$3.3 Trillion
DEFICIT
$693 Billion
DEBT HELD BY THE PUBLIC (End of Fiscal Year)
$14.7 Trillion

https://www.cbo.gov/topics/budget

While Congress never passed a budget, the jist of the numbers above are fairly accurate.

I'd point you to the pictograph in the link below for a breakdown of what we spend on the poor. It's not anywhere near 1/3 of the total federal budget. In fact, of the $4 Trillion budget, $200 Billion is spent on interest for our national debt, and another $2.4Billion is spent on Mandatory crap. The largest of the Mandatory items is Social Security.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52408

A more detailed breakdown of the discretionary spending can be found here:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52410
You need more thorough info. Add up the total spending by the 80+ means-tested social programs. Well over $1 trillion/year. Just Medicaid spending, alone, is $545.1 billion/year:

https://www.cms.gov/research-statist...act-sheet.html.

And there are NO premiums, copays, or deductibles.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
I think Freak80 is on target. We have 2 huge problems in this country. Corruption and globalization. A lot of our housing problems are coming from foreign investors driving up rents and home prices. Corruption politicians are expected to look the other way.

The only way I can think of to solve the problem is to stop spending so much on weapons and build housing. Get money out of politics by forcing the media to give free air time so candidates could be heard. Get lobbyists out of DC.

This would just be the beginning.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
1) What did u find to be BS about what I wrote? Liberal motivations? Why do you doubt that we want to help people? I can understand that conservatives may feel our compassion is misplaced, but I haven't seen a reasonable explanation given by anyone for why they think our hearts aren't in the right place.

2) I don't see compassion for poor people in third world countries as inconsistent with compassion for poor in our country. So I'm not sure I understand your point there.

3) What do you mean by stealing from the rich, how is this occurring? Are you saying we should stop taxing them? Get rid of social programs (and if so which ones)? Both? What would be the effect of the solution you propose, of going "back to voluntary, charity based welfare." and why is that better than what we have now?

4) The last sentence seems to contain a broad assumption about the "poor". Why do you have such contempt for them? I also don't know why you think poor people in the U.S. would be making donations of any kind, that seems rather silly.
If you care about the poor in this country, then why do they have such poor health? Why are food stamps spent on soda? Why are the poor so fat?

I have contempt for anyone who steals, especially if they use the proceeds to eat themselves into oblivion (creating a need for even more money for HC). If they took just enough for basic shared housing in low COL areas, shared bulk food purchases of beans, rice and milk etc and used their time trying to help the truly poor in the 3rd world, that would be different, but the vast majorly don't.

No matter how much they are given they will ALWAYS cry poor and demand more. Meanwhile, they have enough money to gamble, use drugs and over eat to the point of obesity. Not to mention the large families they have, that they can't afford. Where is the personal responsibility?

The truly disabled (obesity doesn't count) and mentally ill are a different story and i have no problem donating money towards a basic quality of life. But I'm not going to give them enough rope to hang themselves.

People in 3rd world counties have it way worse than the "poor" in America. They should be our concern, not the vast majority of people on benefits here in the USA. We see what they do with the money, and it isn't pretty. It's self destructive.

Last edited by Colorado^; 11-14-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies