Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 02:21 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So you are against increasing the $700 support the people who were born disabled get? I have not mentioned anything about children. A person might have been born 50 years ago. Born disabled. The topic is clear: Helping the poor vs punishing the rich. You seem to have difficulties understanding that the disabled are part of the poor group. The OP only talks about "the poor". That of course includes all poor people.

But you think $700 is enough for the disabled? They dont need anymore because we need to stop "punishing the rich"?
I have no idea if $700 is enough. I don't know a person's medical needs, where they live, etc.

I have a better idea for helping "those" poor people, cut off welfare to able bodied. That way you don't have to steal from the rich and those able bodied poors will be self reliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
You want much higher taxes on yourself and people making a million a year?
I'm already in the top tax bracket. Push that top marginal tax rate down to the middle class like other countries, as evidenced by the top marginal tax rate chart I posted.

You should have no problem with that.

Quote:
And much stronger unions? Do you not recall the posts you have made where you advocate for the OPPOSITE? You are just trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. You do not want higher taxes on the rich and much stronger unions. Dont fool yourself.
What "stronger unions?"

Unemployment rate:

US: 4.9%
Sweden: 7%
(CIA World Factbook)

Median household income:

US: $59,039
(https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?id=MEHOINUSA672N)
Sweden: $50,514
(Gallup Analytics | analytics.gallup.com)

Using median income results in a more accurate snapshot of the typical middle class income since the data isn't skewed by outliers on either extreme end. Purchasing power parity has also been applied to the data to eliminate economic anomalies.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I have no idea if $700 is enough. I don't know a person's medical needs, where they live, etc.

I have a better idea for helping "those" poor people, cut off welfare to able bodied. That way you don't have to steal from the rich and those able bodied poors will be self reliant.
You have no idea if $700 is enough? Do you know anywhere in America where $700 a month is enough to have a good quality of life and a decent lifestyle?

You want to cut off all health care to able bodied people? So if someone has a job that does not provide health insurance and that person cant afford health insurance he or she should die?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm already in the top tax bracket. Push that top marginal tax rate down to the middle class like other countries, as evidenced by the top marginal tax rate chart I posted.

You should have no problem with that.

What "stronger unions?"

Unemployment rate:

US: 4.9%
Sweden: 7%
(CIA World Factbook)

Median household income:

US: $59,039
(https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?id=MEHOINUSA672N)
Sweden: $50,514
(Gallup Analytics | analytics.gallup.com)

Using median income results in a more accurate snapshot of the typical middle class income since the data isn't skewed by outliers on either extreme end. Purchasing power parity has also been applied to the data to eliminate economic anomalies.
Is it this gallup link you are referring to?

http://news.gallup.com/poll/166211/w...ncome-000.aspx

Are you serious? You actually want MUCH higher income taxes like in Europe on the rich? AND much stronger unions? Or are you simply unaware of the huge disparity between union power in these countries and America? Labor rights that are unheard of in America. Well, if you actually want all of these things to improve the bargaining power of the America worker then you have gone through a mental revolution. But I doubt you actually want that. By the way, labor force participation rates in those countries are much higher than in America. Arent you a Trumpster? You should know the difference between unemployment rate and labor force participation rate.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I like to see what happens when US adopts Belgium's tax rates.. where poor pay 30% tax and middle class pays 50% tax rates.... guess what the wealthy pay? Same as MIDDLE CLASS...

Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I like to see what happens when US adopts Belgium's tax rates.. where poor pay 30% tax and middle class pays 50% tax rates.... guess what the wealthy pay? Same as MIDDLE CLASS...
nonsense. The poor first of all are not poor by American standards as the poor and everyone else have access to healthcare, child care, higher education, sick leave, medicine, disability benefits, public transit etc with no or very little out of pocket expenses. Unions make sure the disparity of income is much narrower than in America so the wealth and income are not concentrated at the very top. The middle class typically pays effective rates of 35% in income taxes (local and federal), property taxes are generally much lower than in America, while the rich is above 50% in effective income tax rates.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
You have no idea if $700 is enough? Do you know anywhere in America where $700 a month is enough to have a good quality of life and a decent lifestyle?

You want to cut off all health care to able bodied people? So if someone has a job that does not provide health insurance and that person cant afford health insurance he or she should die?
No I don't, I haven't lived everywhere or know everyones situation. What's a good quality of life? 3 bd 2.5 bath house? iPhone? Or living in a care home?

Health care now?

Can you quantify and tabulate the different scenarios of poor that you would like to cherry pick?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
No I don't, I haven't lived everywhere or know everyones situation. What's a good quality of life? 3 bd 2.5 bath house? iPhone? Or living in a care home?

Health care now?

Can you quantify and tabulate the different scenarios of poor that you would like to cherry pick?
Well, doesnt this prove that you simply do not know the needs of the poor in America? 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house? Available on an income of $700 a month? iPhone? You cant be serious?

There is no cherry picking. The poor are not simply the lazybones in the inner cities that you talk about. The poor are the people who get unlucky and were born disabled. And cant work. As a result of the assault on the safety net, they are now left with $700 a month to survive on. Thats it. A tiny number of states like California give $50 to $150 a month more to survive on but thats rare. The suffering for the disabled in America is very real and there is nothing being done about it. Absolutely nothing. Because they can not fund the puppets in Congress like Wall Street can. So they are ignored.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well, doesnt this prove that you simply do not know the needs of the poor in America? 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house? Available on an income of $700 a month? iPhone? You cant be serious?

There is no cherry picking. The poor are not simply the lazybones in the inner cities that you talk about. The poor are the people who get unlucky and were born disabled. And cant work. As a result of the assault on the safety net, they are now left with $700 a month to survive on. Thats it. A tiny number of states like California give $50 to $150 a month more to survive on but thats rare. The suffering for the disabled in America is very real and there is nothing being done about it. Absolutely nothing. Because they can not fund the puppets in Congress like Wall Street can. So they are ignored.
How many times does one have to put able bodied persons in their response to you before you recognize it?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
How many times does one have to put able bodied persons in their response to you before you recognize it?
Read the title of this thread. Read the opening post. Its "the poor". The poor to you is the inner city lazybones, but that is not the reality of poverty in America. The poor include the people who were born disabled and suffer right at this moment and nothing is being done about it even though we are richer as a nation than ever. Instead, Wall Street are pushing hard to dismantle the terrible safety net we already have. Their interests are important. The interests of the disabled are not. And you have shown zero interest in supporting an increase for the disabled who drew the short end of the stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies