U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM
 
Location: PSL
8,231 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Reputation: 2936

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What a load of crap. How are we "more free" when we are at the continual mercy of idiots with guns?
I'm not subscribed to the victim mentality nor compelled by fear. That's an individuals choice to be. I am at no one's mercy, I refuse to relinquish my rights, I refuse to succumb to fear, I refuse to allow evil scumbags the ability to do harm.

Take for example a legitimate threat to my life and well being, retiree snowbirds half blind, half deaf, slower reaction time behind the wheel and possibly stroking out behind the wheel.

There are no helmet laws in my state. I ride my Harley without a helmet. Oakley wrap arounds, tee shirt, shorts, and sneakers. On the road I am at the mercy of others "not seeing me" but those Vance and Hines short shots they'll damn sure hear me Does that mean I weave around cars left and right? Split lanes? Become a nuisance on the road to potentially cause an accident? Absolutely not.

I acknowledge the risk at hand, am I compelled by fear? Absolutely not.
Same with firearms. I'm not compelled by fear. Nor do I fear an armed populace.

Just like being in possession of a motorcycle and following state and federal laws, I do not present myself as a meance/nuisance. There are laws posted and I abide by them.

Do I fear being gunned down? Nope. Do I fear being run over by a 60-80 something year old in a Cadillac? Nope.

Does that make me a nut for having a logical rather than emotional approach to how to live my life?


I merely suggest practicing your 2nd Amendment rights, as much as you practice your 1st Amendment rights to disagree with me. I Acknowledge there may or may not be a risk and plan/live accordingly. That's more so on the side of common sense though.

Kind of like fast food. I can only suggest you stay away from the doublechin burgers, extra large fries, and washing it down with a massive diet soda... that crap is poison.
Would I be ringing congress critters and senators to ban McDonald's as heart disease takes 630k+ per year? No. It is the individuals choice to consume that crap.

Make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 AM
 
15,366 posts, read 5,729,208 times
Reputation: 11512
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'm not subscribed to the victim mentality nor compelled by fear. That's an individuals choice to be. I am at no one's mercy, I refuse to relinquish my rights, I refuse to succumb to fear, I refuse to allow evil scumbags the ability to do harm. <snipped because blah, blah, blah, blah, blah>
Meanwhile, the next victims of a gun fanatic are going about their daily lives right now, doing nothing to deserve what is coming their way, and no amount of guns YOU own are going to help them. Because more guns just means more victims. There's no way around that, and all your blathering about things that have no bearing on this discussion don't change that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,842 posts, read 6,658,464 times
Reputation: 5351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I take it you aren't familiar with our Constitution or laws,

It makes us more free, because it affords individuals the right to keep and bear arms, to defend life property and from tyranny.

What hinders the population, is the erosion of that right to become reliant on someone with granted authority access to tools of defense.

Change the implement from firearm to fire extinguisher. I have 1 in my kitchen, 1 in my garage, and 1 in the hallway near the dryer. I was a volunteer firefighter. I acknowledge a potential risk for fire exists.
I also know seconds matter. Do you think I'm going to run outside of my house after calling 911?

Absolutely not.

I'll place the call once I've engaged the threat as I do not have an axe handy, should the fire spread into the walls. I do have a fire hydrant on the corner of my yard, but no hose

Same logic applies with firearms.

My state has a stand your ground no duty to retreat. This law states


Meaning if you are in my state, and someone wants to do you and/or your loved ones harm, I can act to protect you and your loved ones. Again. Seconds matter. The authorities are minutes away.

It's very simple logic really once you remove the emotional aspect from it and see it for what it is.
Good lord its 2017 not 1805! Other modern 1st world countries don't need an Arsenal to defend life and property from tyranny! All it does is give you an astronomically high number of people shot to death every year, surely you can see that? You are certainly not more free than me because of it, in fact it looks like you are less 'free' than me, if I want a gun I can get one but I don't need one because unlike over there I don't need to protect myself with a gun, because unlike over there I am free to walk ANY street in ANY city here without fear of going down the 'wrong one', my kids are free to go to school without bullet proof backpacks, remove the emotional aspect - you mean the emotional aspect that thousands of people go through every year because of the ridiculous law? THOUSANDS of people mind, now THAT is a lot of emotion right there. Does life really mean so little to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
 
15,366 posts, read 5,729,208 times
Reputation: 11512
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Good lord its 2017 not 1805! Other modern 1st world countries don't need an Arsenal to defend life and property from tyranny! All it does is give you an astronomically high number of people shot to death every year, surely you can see that? You are certainly not more free than me because of it, in fact it looks like you are less 'free' than me, if I want a gun I can get one but I don't need one because unlike over there I don't need to protect myself with a gun, because unlike over there I am free to walk ANY street in ANY city here without fear of going down the 'wrong one', my kids are free to go to school without bullet proof backpacks, remove the emotional aspect - you mean the emotional aspect that thousands of people go through every year because of the ridiculous law? THOUSANDS of people mind, now THAT is a lot of emotion right there. Does life really mean so little to you?
When it comes to a gun lover, the answer to your question is yes. His gun means more to him than your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
 
4,672 posts, read 1,233,351 times
Reputation: 2169
People with restraining orders issued against them should have no access to firearms. You have proven your incapability of controlling yourself. This guy stabbed his neighbor allegedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,842 posts, read 6,658,464 times
Reputation: 5351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmmm. Well, as to "us guys" there is a very large shooting community that actually does a good job of policing itself. "We" do not tolerate wannabe action heroes in our ranks and these nut jobs do not have any association with us. You don't see people like this at competition events, range sessions or in the CCW courses we operate.


Occasionally some would be gunslinger shows up in a class, but they are either ...educated..or tossed out. We host huge events, where literally everybody has a firearm and nobody does anything stupid. We take firearms VERY seriously, and resent being lumped in with these nut cases, who do NOT, in any way represent us.


I have tired of the "2a" thing" as you describe it with arguments of a stand against government coup are endlessly touted. Yes, there is an intent in the 2A for that, however the threats we have today are criminal. Not governmental.


I have had to use lethal force against two attackers once and my lady was assaulted by a would be rapist that forced her hand as well. The latter required post trauma counseling, and most poignantly group sessions with other victims.


The police are not an option for Americans. Things are different here ad policies such as the UK has will make them worse. Your weapons policies there, remember, are centuries old. Perhaps there may come a day here where being armed is not so critical, but it ain't there yet. Not by a long shot no pun intended.


Our population here has always been armed with the service firearms used by our armed forces. All the way back to when we changed landlords. When the capability of fully automatic fire became standard we still had access to the semi auto versions. These mass shootings have captured the imaginations of a lot of people, but the fact that such things that do not make headlines are happening every day. I places like CA who has the craziest gun laws I can bring to mind.


Places in LA, San Diego, even mega weirdo San Fran, are controlled by cartel foot soldiers we call street gangs. The people who have to live in these areas are denied their right to personal arms and CA sees self defense as a crime. "Us Guys" WOULD "do something" if only it wouldn't land us in prison.


"Us guys" see the example set by CA and others, mandating reliance on the police, and we don't like what we see. The positions you see here on CD are not really the ones concerning the vast majority of "us guys." Freedom has many faces as does oppression. We are agry with government, but government isn't who we see as the primary threat. They it just plants itself in the way. Truly, lead , follow or get the hell out of the way never hit home harder.


There is a truly capable citizen militia here that folks never see. Not a bunch of clowns in pieced together "uniforms" running around yelling "Murica." It is hidden behind the scenes. It does not fit the stereotypes that the anti 2A people want to project.


It's the quiet ones. There's another complete side to this and we ARE angry at all this shooting spree nonsense. No, it's not a laughing matter. But the solution does not lie in disarmament.
It does NOT do a good job, it does a bloody awful job - thousands of people shot to death proves that point, the amount of people being shot to death over there is shameful, the fact that there are still people burying their heads in the sand over it is even more shameful. If we are to take you seriously you need to show stats that prove having lax gun laws works, instead the stats are enormously overwhelmingly showing that it doesn't and its not even close, its not even close to being close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,073,507 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
When it comes to a gun lover, the answer to your question is yes. His gun means more to him than your life.
The problem with your statement is this gun owner is not threatening your life or anyone else's life so long as they are not threatening mine, my family or my property. So, No I am Not going to give them up so you can have a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,073,507 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It does NOT do a good job, it does a bloody awful job - thousands of people shot to death proves that point, the amount of people being shot to death over there is shameful, the fact that there are still people burying their heads in the sand over it is even more shameful. If we are to take you seriously you need to show stats that prove having lax gun laws works, instead the stats are enormously overwhelmingly showing that it doesn't and its not even close, its not even close to being close.
Well then that's reasonable, that is until one grasps the fact that the majority of shootings occur in places with the toughest gun laws, so there does not seem to be a correlation between tough gun laws and less crime. Do you know why that is, it is simple, Criminals do not obey the law. Consider yourself better informed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,073,507 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Meanwhile, the next victims of a gun fanatic are going about their daily lives right now, doing nothing to deserve what is coming their way, and no amount of guns YOU own are going to help them. Because more guns just means more victims. There's no way around that, and all your blathering about things that have no bearing on this discussion don't change that fact.
If by victims you mean more criminals being shot, I agree, more people owning and being proficient in their use would result in exactly that. But hey, if you do not want to own one that is your choice, I am sure the gangbanger sticking a gun in your face will appreciate the thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM
 
15,366 posts, read 5,729,208 times
Reputation: 11512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The problem with your statement is this gun owner is not threatening your life or anyone else's life so long as they are not threatening mine, my family or my property. So, No I am Not going to give them up so you can have a false sense of security.
Talk to the guy right above your post, who lives in the U.K. That sense of security is not false. Yours is, believing that your guns are going to make you safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top