U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 AM

9,578 posts, read 4,589,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I take it you didn't grow up in a rural area with an average response time of 27 minutes...
Where I live currently the response time varies between 3 and 9 minutes. Knowing alot can happen in 3-9 minutes.

And by limiting what current and future generations have access to, when there literally is no limitations of criminals, as criminals and tyrants alike do not obey laws.
I live in a mostly rural county that is 25 miles from north to south and 25 miles from east to west. We have one deputy for the county from 5 pm until 7 am. A 27 minute wait would be an improvement. For property crimes, you wait until day shift. For threats to people wait time can be an hour or more. So, my wife and I both carry. Most people carry. There have been 4 attempted home invasions in the last month. All were frightened off by armed homeowners. So, most of these anti-gun people would like us to be at the mercy of criminals. No thanks.
My daughter lives in town. She had an attempted invasion, I beat the police to her house and had walked through before they got there. So much for their help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 AM

8,231 posts, read 2,199,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The MV Agusta naked superbike? Beautiful ride on a smooth track. Absolutely horrible on regular roads. You feel and get lurched by every bump and pothole.

I have a vintage Chevy truck dragster, as well. 890 hp blown (supercharged) engine.

Yeah, I'm that kind of girl.

Oh, and I'm a responsible gun owner, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Just in case no one has worked out the obvious....

Given the statistic that 3% of gun owners own 50% of guns.....having more guns per person would ALWAYS automatically result in a lowering of the "per gun" death rate and perhaps even the overall death or shooting rate.
You do realize people lie on those polls right?

Quote:
If one citizen has 50 guns chances are he'll never do anything....and if he does, he'll use 3 of them. So he effectively has warehoused 50 guns.
Chances of being gunned down at the hands of another 0.003%

Quote:
The basic problem seems to be that people can just buy them when they get angry...speaking of "laws which need to be created", when you've stabbed a neighbor I think a search warrant and complete study of firearms history might be a good idea before letting the dude run free. Whatever "rights" you have to be secure and own firearms should be temp. given up (or maybe for good) once you took the knife and inserted it into the skin of a fellow.
There are laws that address that, they're only effective when they are enforced. I do agree this is a problem. Is it a "loophole"? No. Not at all. This is a failure of enforcing laws.

Quote:
Of course, there are so many guns around that the guy could have just lifted some from "a friend"....but the whole idea of sane laws is that it SLOWS the rate by putting obstacles in the way - meanwhile, the person may calm down.
Or arresting and following procedure to search for weapons and seize them following an act of violence... I don't have a problem with laws that are on the books pertaining to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Do you find it ironic that you accuse others of advancing a political agenda based on emotion while justifying gun ownership by describing their necessity in protecting you from the fear of the deprivation of life and property by some imagined governmental tyranny?
There is no fear on my end nor emotion pertaining to the 2nd Amendment.
As I've said numerous times I do not live in fear. Having the means to defend oneself is not one of emotion, rather logic. If this exists, then prepare accordingly. No different than a fire extinguisher. Should I be reliant solely on the fire department arriving to extinguish a fire? I don't believe so. Does that make me live in fear of a fire? If that were the case I would probably not cook meals and live off of sandwiches salads and not prepare hot meals in my home, nor utilize a dryer as a dryer vent may erupt in flames. Unfortunately my garage is what is known as a Florida room. Until I either buy this house outright, I can not work on project vehicles in there, however having reloading components, a fire extinguisher is just common sense.

I take it you have a problem with newly established liberal gun clubs that want to promote gun ownership to combat fascism in America then?

Why US liberals are now buying guns too - BBC News
Quote:
Some of the new members are reluctant first-time gun owners, says Smith, concerned that isolated acts of aggression against minorities could escalate into something more violent and that a Trump administration will dismantle key constitutional rights, leading to a "more fascist rule than the US has ever had"
Because Trump is a fascist and all. Literally hitler. At least that's what the rumor is anyways...

8th Amendment on the other hand... Oh absolutely. I feel criminals who commit heinous acts of violence do not deserve a fair trial or legal representation. That, I have an emotional approach to. I don't feel criminals should stand a chance at having freedom or be caught and released. I feel longer terms behind bars and code of Hamurabi should be inflicted on them.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Does not establish cause and effect, only positive correlation.

One could also (for example) argue that the increase in government regulation, PC-Snowflakism, and the continuing propogation of leftist agenda also have a positive correlation.

Both are true (the latter according to the RWNJs), neither have established cause and effect.
So those who own multiple firearms are then not potential vegas scumbags then.
If that is the logic of correlation is not causation...

There are posters here in other forums suggesting anyone who owns more than x # of firearms are mentally unstable and equate those who do to the Vegas scumbag...

Old 11-15-2017, 11:34 AM

535 posts, read 107,167 times
Quote:
Just in case no one has worked out the obvious....

Given the statistic that 3% of gun owners own 50% of guns.....having more guns per person would ALWAYS automatically result in a lowering of the "per gun" death rate and perhaps even the overall death or shooting rate.

If one citizen has 50 guns chances are he'll never do anything....and if he does, he'll use 3 of them. So he effectively has warehoused 50 guns.

The basic problem seems to be that people can just buy them when they get angry...speaking of "laws which need to be created", when you've stabbed a neighbor I think a search warrant and complete study of firearms history might be a good idea before letting the dude run free. Whatever "rights" you have to be secure and own firearms should be temp. given up (or maybe for good) once you took the knife and inserted it into the skin of a fellow.

Of course, there are so many guns around that the guy could have just lifted some from "a friend"....but the whole idea of sane laws is that it SLOWS the rate by putting obstacles in the way - meanwhile, the person may calm down.
This is not a given.............. it is speculation.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,044,236 times
Quote:
Last year, NYC had a gun homocide rate of 39 per million, slightly less than a quarter of the national rate, despite a much greater population density.
The national gun homicide rate is around 3 per 100,000, or 30 per million. That's lower than what you posted.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM

5,214 posts, read 1,562,411 times
Quote:
There is no fear on my end nor emotion pertaining to the 2nd Amendment.
As I've said numerous times I do not live in fear. Having the means to defend oneself is not one of emotion, rather logic. If this exists, then prepare accordingly. No different than a fire extinguisher. Should I be reliant solely on the fire department arriving to extinguish a fire? I don't believe so. Does that make me live in fear of a fire? If that were the case I would probably not cook meals and live off of sandwiches salads and not prepare hot meals in my home, nor utilize a dryer as a dryer vent may erupt in flames.
There is no fear on my end nor emotion pertaining to the Second Amendment. As I've said numerous times, I do not live in fear. Taking steps to ensure one does not need to defend oneself against gun violence is not one of emotion, rather logic. If the threat exists, take rational proactive steps to eliminate the threat before it becomes a reality. No different than not leaving poison out where my kids could get them or an adult could be careless with it. Should I be reliant on modern medicine to counteract the poison? I don't believe so. Does that make me live in fear of poison? If that were the case, I would probably not have cleaning solutions tucked safely away on a high shelf or locked in cabinet.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
There is no fear on my end nor emotion pertaining to the Second Amendment. As I've said numerous times, I do not live in fear. Taking steps to ensure one does not need to defend oneself against gun violence is not one of emotion, rather logic. If the threat exists, take rational proactive steps to eliminate the threat before it becomes a reality.
Exactly my point.

Eliminating a threat before it becomes a reality.

I'm glad you see it the same way I do.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 PM

5,214 posts, read 1,562,411 times
Quote:
Exactly my point.

Eliminating a threat before it becomes a reality.

I'm glad you see it the same way I do.
No, you're talking about responding to the threat to minimize its effect. I'm talking about eliminating the threat in the first instance.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM

9,578 posts, read 4,589,584 times
Quote:
No, you're talking about responding to the threat to minimize its effect. I'm talking about eliminating the threat in the first instance.
I don't think they would let me shoot all the criminals before they break the law.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Beings a criminal/psycho with evil intent is the threat, I do believe in eliminating the threat as it exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or