U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 04:12 PM

5,214 posts, read 1,567,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
Pass a gun law that criminals will abide to and you won’t have anymore shootings.
I wonder what could account the difference is between these statistics...

Australia: 1.6 gun related homocides per million people
France: 2.1 gun related homocides per million people
Germany: 0.7 gun related homocides per million people
UK: 6 gun related homocides per million people
USA: 36 gun related homocides per million people

Lots of guns don’t make people safer from gun violence, folks. Who’d have thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM

6,261 posts, read 4,178,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Australia had a mentally illness mass shooter kill 35 people. Because they weren't morons, they realized that there is always going to be mentally ill people and its much easier to get rid of guns then monitor people. so they got rid of guns. This was in 1996. They haven't had a single spree shooting since.
Yes they have. What do you call the Monash University shooting (2 dead 5 wounded meets the new criteria of mass shooting) , what about the Hunt Family murders (5 dead), then there's the siege at the Lindt Cafe in Sydney (3 dead 4 injured). Those all involved guns. Not to mention Childers Palace, and other Arson mass murders that exceed the typical 4-5 homicide mass shooting here.

There were 12 rampage shootings in Australia from 1928 to Port Arthur in 1996. Since 1996 til 2017 there have been 3. Do the math, the rates of rampage shooting to year are roughly the same. 1928 to 1996 is 68 years so one shooting roughly every 6 years. 1996 to 2017 is 21 years shooting roughly every 7 years. Hardly statistically relevant is it?

Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,206,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Snark doesn't help your arguments, but if that's all you've got go for it.
Failing to comprehend what I had said in plain legible English doesn't help your arguments either. You've still to explain why hunting isn't a justified cause for owning an AR by the way.

Quote:
I don't care if your school had 100 troopers there are not enough troopers in the entire state to deploy them to every school and if they aren't present in the school they are not going to stop a mass shooter.
And if that's the argument you want to stick to, then wouldn't it be beneficial to try one thing that hasn't been done before? Allow teachers to carry, and train them to respond in an active shooting scenario with force on force drills firing simunition rounds?

More Good Guys with a gun present at said school vs waiting for minutes? I remember a pre planned drill, not a spontaneous active shooter event, a pre planned drill, 45 minutes until I heard K9s barking and boots running, with shouts of Clear! Mixed in.

45 minutes is a long time for alot of bad to happen.

You said your husband was a vet and former law enforcement ask him for his opinion on the matter. Does it make sense to have more readily available to defend innocent children or to keep on relying on a system where it's wait for the arrival of law enforcement?

Old 11-15-2017, 04:23 PM

31,097 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Quote:
If you’re shooting people whether you bought it legally or not you’re a criminal. Again pass a law a criminal will abide to, because passing gun laws on good people is fruitless. Which a lot of you anti gun folks want to do, for what reason, is boggling.
Then what was the point of this post of yours?

Quote:
Pass a gun law that criminals will abide to and you won’t have anymore shootings.
I already established that 2/3 of mass shooters don't have criminal records so how would passing a law that criminals would obey stop all shootings? And you want to repeat the same thing, that all we have to do is "pass a law that a criminal will abide to"

Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM

5,214 posts, read 1,567,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Failing to comprehend what I had said in plain legible English doesn't help your arguments either. You've still to explain why hunting isn't a justified cause for owning an AR by the way.

And if that's the argument you want to stick to, then wouldn't it be beneficial to try one thing that hasn't been done before? Allow teachers to carry, and train them to respond in an active shooting scenario with force on force drills firing simunition rounds?

More Good Guys with a gun present at said school vs waiting for minutes? I remember a pre planned drill, not a spontaneous active shooter event, a pre planned drill, 45 minutes until I heard K9s barking and boots running, with shouts of Clear! Mixed in.

You said your husband was a vet and former law enforcement ask him for his opinion on the matter. Does it make sense to have more readily available to defend innocent children or to keep on relying on a system where it's wait for the arrival of law enforcement?
Just stop. Arming teachers and flooding schools with guns is one of the most fundamentally idiotic proposals I’ve ever heard. One maladjusted kid gets ahold of a gun, one teacher snaps, one substitute mistakenly discharges one, and you’ve introduced mass deaths to a child-filled environment. If you’re really sticking with that argument, the conversation with you needs to end because you have no critical thinking skills. I can’t possibly believe that any rational-thinking Person buys into such a facially and dangerously preposterous idea.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 998,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Lots of guns don’t make people safer from gun violence, folks. Who’d have thought?
So you propose banning all guns? roughly around half a billion, expecting the government to buy all them back? expecting American citizens to turn them in? Haha

Australia bought back roughly 600,000 guns costing their tax payers 500 million. Buying back almost 500,000,000 million guns from Americans? Hahahaha.

I swear you guys lack critical thinking. Smh.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:41 PM

25,235 posts, read 14,056,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Australia had a mentally illness mass shooter kill 35 people. Because they weren't morons, they realized that there is always going to be mentally ill people and its much easier to get rid of guns then monitor people. so they got rid of guns. This was in 1996. They haven't had a single spree shooting since.
Americans are not like Australians and their culture is different, meaning Americans will not turn in their firearms simply because the government says so. So what did they do about mental illness?
FYI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Australia

Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 PM

31,097 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

Wrong, what I said was that my husband is retired USMC and is a Vietnam Vet. I am retired from law enforcement having worked for two different agencies over a period of 26 years. My husband and I both agree that people who don't support rational restrictions to the kinds of guns you can own, where you can carry them and closing loopholes in gun background checks are well... not very rational

Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 2,206,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Considering 9,616 deaths per FBI UCR resulted from criminal gun violence... with a population at that time of 320,090,857 how do you figure 36 per million? If that were the case then the number reported by FBI UCR would come out to be 11,523...

Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 PM

10,192 posts, read 6,280,923 times
Quote:
That is the worst justification for owning an AR15 that I have ever heard in my life.
Are you okay with semi auto hunting rifles ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or