U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:22 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,256 posts, read 11,660,804 times
Reputation: 13298

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol I guess you think you got me with that one huh? They are functionally the same weapon the differences being mostly cosmetic. I would have no problem with either if they had a fixed magazine capable of no more than 5 rounds.

Ah yes. The famous (or infamous) CA receiver. I've seen one. Mag well welded shut loading done through the top. Capacity would not exceed 10 rounds. Biggest POS I've ever seen. The gun shop owner who had it offered to give it to me. Lol, I thought about it but I could think of no purpose it could serve so modified.


I got a really good look at how the feeding system would have to work and it was consecutive failures to feed just waiting to happen. It was a system that belonged on a bolt action rifle just sort of stuck on a semi auto.


Maybe that's the idea. Make something that just won't work right the only things that legal? IDK. I'm just glad I don't live in CA. Truthfully I haven't used any of my standard issue mags in quite a while. For the shooting I do the 5 and 10 rounders do what I need. But I do compete in 3 gun matches so I do need the standard 30s.


I like the original style 20s. But as I think about it I haven't done a frivolous mag dump with any of my ARs. I was in my early 20s last time I did. And that was for a function test after I had to make repairs on my HK 93. The extractor had buggered up.


Ammunition is to expensive to just **** away. Besides, the purpose of shooting is hitting and I want the satisfaction of seeing those tiny little 200 yard groups from the rifles I've built. The AR is not just a bullet hose. As I thin over the reality of these active shooters mindset they are under the same illusions (delusions) the anti firearms types are. That the rifle will obtain hits on its own just spraying like its a can of raid.


Thankfully this accounts for far more misses than hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:26 PM
 
5,214 posts, read 1,570,964 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Considering 9,616 deaths per FBI UCR resulted from criminal gun violence... with a population at that time of 320,090,857 how do you figure 36 per million? If that were the case then the number reported by FBI UCR would come out to be 11,523...
You’re looking at 2015, not 2016. And even if you were right, you’ve obviously missed the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,135 posts, read 2,791,406 times
Reputation: 4395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There should be NO transfers except for those that occur between immediate family members without a background check. In many states transfers between individuals with no background check are perfectly legal. That loophole has become known as the "gun show loophole" because that is where those transactions are readily observable. All I want to do is prevent crap like this from happening. More facts emerge on Reno cop's gun sale to young man with mental illness | KUNR
So......can you provide us with a link to some incidents of shootings....mass or otherwise, where the shooter purchased the weapon he used at a gun show without a background check?

From your own link, the 19 year old in question would not have been prevented from purchasing a gun even if the background check had been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,135 posts, read 2,791,406 times
Reputation: 4395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is the worst justification for owning an AR15 that I have ever heard in my life.
Maybe that's because no one has to justify owning one to you or anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,125 posts, read 13,643,867 times
Reputation: 22168
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So......can you provide us with a link to some incidents of shootings....mass or otherwise, where the shooter purchased the weapon he used at a gun show without a background check?

From your own link, the 19 year old in question would not have been prevented from purchasing a gun even if the background check had been done.
That's a crazy question, because as I'm sure you know the NRA made sure that we can't keep records like that, but there is this, it goes through all the mass shootings up through 2016 and details (where known) whether or not the shooter was legally able to own a handgun

https://everytownresearch.org/docume...-2009-2016.pdf

and in case you think it doesn't happen, there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_...eature%3Dshare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:59 PM
 
Location: San Diego
35,261 posts, read 32,223,021 times
Reputation: 19803
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ah yes. The famous (or infamous) CA receiver. I've seen one. Mag well welded shut loading done through the top. Capacity would not exceed 10 rounds. Biggest POS I've ever seen. The gun shop owner who had it offered to give it to me. Lol, I thought about it but I could think of no purpose it could serve so modified.


I got a really good look at how the feeding system would have to work and it was consecutive failures to feed just waiting to happen. It was a system that belonged on a bolt action rifle just sort of stuck on a semi auto.


Maybe that's the idea. Make something that just won't work right the only things that legal? IDK. I'm just glad I don't live in CA. Truthfully I haven't used any of my standard issue mags in quite a while. For the shooting I do the 5 and 10 rounders do what I need. But I do compete in 3 gun matches so I do need the standard 30s.


I like the original style 20s. But as I think about it I haven't done a frivolous mag dump with any of my ARs. I was in my early 20s last time I did. And that was for a function test after I had to make repairs on my HK 93. The extractor had buggered up.


Ammunition is to expensive to just **** away. Besides, the purpose of shooting is hitting and I want the satisfaction of seeing those tiny little 200 yard groups from the rifles I've built. The AR is not just a bullet hose. As I thin over the reality of these active shooters mindset they are under the same illusions (delusions) the anti firearms types are. That the rifle will obtain hits on its own just spraying like its a can of raid.


Thankfully this accounts for far more misses than hits.
Wait till you see the stupidity coming up next year. Which, BTW, no criminal will give a flying F about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,069 posts, read 954,592 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There should be NO transfers except for those that occur between immediate family members without a background check. In many states transfers between individuals with no background check are perfectly legal. That loophole has become known as the "gun show loophole" because that is where those transactions are readily observable.
So how do you go about enforcing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,069 posts, read 954,592 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
they are functionally the same weapon the differences being mostly cosmetic. I would have no problem with either if they had a fixed magazine capable of no more than 5 rounds.
How would you go about enforcing a law like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,067,362 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't mind answering your questions but this is getting silly and trust me I shoot enough and have owned enough guns that you will be hard pressed to successfully play 'gotcha' with me but this is way off topic, if you want to have this discussion maybe you could start a new thread but for now let's get back to the Tehama County incident.
No gotta moment was being attempted, I read your background, I was asking you simple and direct question, instead I got the above.
Ok, let's get back to a nutjob with a criminal history, that had to hand his firearms over to law enforcement, that lied and kept one (once again breaking the law), shoots his wife and sticks her body under the floorboards, shoots two of his neighbors and steals their truck, and then drives around shooting at people until stopped by two LEO's. Now, you were a LEO, so using your analytical mind, tell us what new gun laws would have changed that scenario? Be specific, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 PM
 
Location: San Diego
35,261 posts, read 32,223,021 times
Reputation: 19803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
How would you go about enforcing a law like this?
The same as we have been already, tax the F out of law abiding citizens that would never commit such a crime. Liberal logic usually means nothing more than covering their pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top