Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

I can't really support this bill in it's current form. Hopefully both versions die.. what we have now is superior.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
The only way to address the debt is through growth and entitlement cuts. Tax reform addresses the growth, Trump just said today that entitlements will be next.

Funny to see democrats even mention the national debt after what Obama did to it

Indeed, I have often said herein that Congress needs to address issues such as Social Security, including raising the retirement age. My retirement age is 66 years, 2 months, but I would heartedly support raising my retirement age to 68, now, with those born after 1980 or so having an age of 70.

I am also in favor of limiting disability payments (my field). Of course, we lack the personnel to get those that have improved off the disability rolls.

I am also in favor of cutting back on the military budget. Heck, the recent 700 Billion dollar defense authorization budget (mainly bi-partisan) actually ended up with more stuff than even President Trump wanted.

Since I joined, we would have almost monthly threads (during Obama's time) on the national debt. Funny thing, those threads have virtually stopped with Trump's presidency.

I had hope, back when the Republicans took over Congress, that they would live up to their self-professed conservative philosophy regarding the budget and debt. With a Republican President, they have abandoned all such pretense. Lower taxes for the wealthy, raise them on the poor and middle class, enrich the military establishment, etc. No mention of fixing the infrastructure, which Trump promised (and which itself would add to the debt), and no mention (by Congress) of addressing entitlements (Trump may speak of it all he wants; if the House lacks the guts to do anything, it is just talk).

"Growth" is all well and good. But it is a fallacy that you can get rid of 20 Billion+ in debt by a growth of 3 or 4 percent, especially if you keep spending and spending.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
The only way to address the debt is through growth and entitlement cuts. Tax reform addresses the growth, Trump just said today that entitlements will be next.

Funny to see democrats even mention the national debt after what Obama did to it
The GOP shut down government a few years ago because of debt, mostly comprised of the same people particularly the TEA Party and Freedom Caucus. So where is Ted Cruz and his posse today, MIA. Maybe he will resurrect his Dr Seuss book again and filibuster this bill that will truly damage our balance sheet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.926541688c94

Old 11-16-2017, 01:35 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
That sounds like an issue between the students and the university. No tax breaks for performing worthless "research" or being a substitute for pampered college students. The rules are changing. Get ready.
This is very much for basic scientific research.

If you think that graduate students in these fields have it easy or are pampered you ought to give it a try.

I was never so broke and lived like a pauper while, at the same time, worked and studied more than 60 hours a week.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:35 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I can't really support this bill in it's current form. Hopefully both versions die.. what we have now is superior.
Everyone is already dug in over party lines. IMO this is a much needed cut for corporations (democrats used to want this) and a smaller break for individuals. Luckily the democrats are powerless to do anything right now, unfortunately republicans are unable to govern as a party to take advantage. So we may get your wish with status quo

Old 11-16-2017, 01:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Everyone is already dug in over party lines. IMO this is a much needed cut for corporations (democrats used to want this) and a smaller break for individuals. Luckily the democrats are powerless to do anything right now, unfortunately republicans are unable to govern as a party to take advantage. So we may get your wish with status quo
Corporations already have a thousand loopholes to shell income from taxation that most individuals don't have.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Everyone is already dug in over party lines. IMO this is a much needed cut for corporations
Why do you believe that? Most large corporations pay far far less-even close to 0 for many. Its the smaller companies that could use this more then the "corporations" that are often discussed. We have some of the lowest effective corporate tax rates in the world. 2/3'd of developed countries are higher.

I'd love to see a lower rate and a TON of removals of deductions for companies. IE lower rates, and fewer deductions.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My son is applying to grad school as we speak. He's been very careful to apply to those that offer some kind of stipend or tuition waiver because he know's I've paid for his four years and I'm done.
My youngest got offers from 4 Universities to attend their PHD programs - all 4 included Tuition waivers AND stipends. She chose the one that offered $30,000 a year - of course that was nearly 30 years ago and the money went a lot further then.

A lot depends on the program (course of study) and the student. Good Luck to your son.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Are they going to start taxing undergraduate scholarships too? Because I fail to see the difference between a tuition waiver for graduate school and a scholarship for undergrad. Better start looking at primary primary schools and such that offer breaks on tuition as well.
I wondered about this, too.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...duate-students

"Many grad students — especially in Ph.D. programs — receive tuition waivers in exchange for teaching classes or doing research. Under current law, that money isn't taxed as income. But the new bill calls for those tuition waivers to be counted as income and subjected to income taxes.

That means graduate students would be paying taxes on money they never receive."
How much do they get? You know, is it more or less than the new standard deduction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies