Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM

8,114 posts, read 3,663,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
They will resolve most of this if the Senate can get it to conference. For example if you live in a high taxed state you'll probably get to deduct 10k from property tax like the house bill to cover the middle class. Upper income may take a small hit in these areas though until these states smarten up and lower their tax rates

Hmm, I live in Texas (which has severely high property taxes), and this doesn't do anything for me. In the current code you have the itemized deductions + exemptions. Exemptions are going away, case closed.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Something in the senate budget rules forces them to make this plan effective for less than 10 years so in 2026 or 2027 it will be phased out. That's 8 or more years of tax cuts with the plan of extending the deadline further out as we get closer to that date. This is just a cheap trick used on uninformed people to say your taxes will rise 10 years from now.

And it is a fact I will keep more of my paycheck, it's called math and I've crunched the numbers. My family will save over 2k /yr.
Interesting. Tell me why I should subsidize you.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:28 AM

8,114 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is exactly what will happen. We saw it during the Bush years.

But, hey, my dirt poor kid can be taxed on income he never sees from grad school - so the Comcast CEO can make another mil.

And those medical deductions? Welp - can't have those if all the billionaires are going to do away with the estate tax.

Money gotta come from somewhere and it will be coming right out of the pockets of the middle class.

You know, if this junk gets passed, I assume that the grad schools will have to somehow change from current waivers to actually making the tuition disappear for TAs and RAs. But how exactly I don't know. Another additional complication of doing that is that they would lose money, in cases when some portion of the tuition currently gets charged to research grants.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:35 AM

244 posts, read 180,843 times
Default The "huge" Tax Cut is actually about 5%?

A lot has been made of the 1.5 trillion tax cut GOP just passed. But doing some simple math it seems like not that big a deal, whether you are for or against.

So in the last decade we've averaged about 3 trillion total tax revenue a year ( https://www.thebalance.com/current-u...evenue-3305762 ). Now that tax cut is over 10 years, or about 150 billion a year. 150 billion out of 3 trillion is 5%.

Am I right that all we are talking about is a 5% tax cut? If not, where is my error? If yes, why is this such big news?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Something in the senate budget rules forces them to make this plan effective for less than 10 years so in 2026 or 2027 it will be phased out. That's 8 or more years of tax cuts with the plan of extending the deadline further out as we get closer to that date. This is just a cheap trick used on uninformed people to say your taxes will rise 10 years from now.

And it is a fact I will keep more of my paycheck, it's called math and I've crunched the numbers. My family will save over 2k /yr.
The "something" is that they are trying to do this through reconciliation which allows it to pass with 51 votes, in order to use reconciliation they can't blow up the deficit more than 1.5 trillion in 10 years so they are expiring the personal tax cuts to make the math work. But why do you think they will be extended? Do you have some guarantee of that?

PS If you save $2,000 you are an outlier, most will save $0-$1100 I sure would like to see the math you used to come up with that.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Hmm, I live in Texas (which has severely high property taxes), and this doesn't do anything for me. In the current code you have the itemized deductions + exemptions. Exemptions are going away, case closed.
Most people are too stupid to realize that, they just crow about how the standard deduction is being doubled. Also, the personal exemption was very valuable because you could use it if you itemized.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:38 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
A lot has been made of the 1.5 trillion tax cut GOP just passed. But doing some simple math it seems like not that big a deal, whether you are for or against.

So in the last decade we've averaged about 3 trillion a year ( https://www.thebalance.com/current-u...evenue-3305762 ). Now that tax cut is over 10 years, or about 150 billion a year. 150 billion out of 3 trillion is 5%.

Am I right that all we are talking about is a 5% tax cut? If not, where is my error? If yes, why is this such big news?
Some of the middle class will see a small tax cut that will be phased out in a few years. Some of the middle class will see an immediate tax increase. Corporations and some of the extremely rich will see a large tax cut that will not be phased out. That pretty much sums it up.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
The cheap trick is using reconciliation instead of just passing budget legislation, but hey... Now ask yourself this: Why is it only the tax cuts for the little people who have an automatic expiration date?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If you need a tax deduction to afford your house or you need a tax deduction on your local taxes to afford the area you are living above your means and that is your own economic mistake. I do agree about the child thing though.
And if a business needs to have their effective tax rate cut in half in order to make a profit, then they are not good managers and should "own their economic mistake"

Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
why is this such big news?
Mainly bc it shifts the tax burden around. Corporate entities will get big breaks, and a lot of middle class and lower class people will see an increase.

So for instance, my taxes are going down very slightly, but someone else with my income who has children, a mortgage, and lives in a high-tax location would see their taxes rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies