U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 PM

714 posts, read 290,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...duate-students

"Many grad students especially in Ph.D. programs receive tuition waivers in exchange for teaching classes or doing research. Under current law, that money isn't taxed as income. But the new bill calls for those tuition waivers to be counted as income and subjected to income taxes.

That means graduate students would be paying taxes on money they never receive."
Yeah, it sucks...luckily I already have a master's though I am not looking forward to going back to school for a PHD so I stopped there..my master's is terminal anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Just another Republican attack on education. They would rather have more uneducated rubes that they can easily control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
They hate education because they want people believing the earth is 6000 years old, that it's really possible for donkeys and snakes to talk, that Noah's Ark really happened, and that climate change is all a part of God's plan for the end times.
So true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 981,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, now you're getting it. The reason many people support higher taxes is they hope they'll get a piece of the pie. The other reason is jealousy. And anger because they got some low paying job because they did nothing to plan to get a higher paying job.
That's interesting. In another thread you are complaining about your health insurance cost in comparison with somebody getting coverage from work. Ever consider following your own advice?

P.S. Don't get me wrong, the total cost of health insurance is appalling.

And HC in general in this country.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 PM

7,233 posts, read 6,426,557 times
It's a corporate tax cut paid for by upper middle class people living in high tax states.

The actual cut for middle class people is little to none unless you are a single person or a couple with no kids living in a state with no income tax.

Just make sure you live in your home 5 years instead of 2 years, otherwise you pay out the butt in capital gains on your property and poof, there goes your "tax cut."

The house plan is better than the senate plan, but both are ultimately hyped as something they are not.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 PM

39,128 posts, read 20,259,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
That's interesting. In another thread you are complaining about your health insurance cost in comparison with somebody getting coverage from work. Ever consider following your own advice?

P.S. Don't get me wrong, the total cost of health insurance is appalling.

And HC in general in this country.
LOL, shows you don't have a clue. I'm complaining about a $1,528 month healthcare premium, you bet ya. Are you that narrow minded that you think everyone works for someone else? People like you depend on people like me so you have a job so your attitude is unwarranted unless you have what it takes to run a business and not depend on someone else to put food on your table.

And by the way, when employees get healthcare though work, their employer is subsidizing that appalling healthcare premium, money that could have been paid to the employee but instead is paid to the insurance company. Obviously you don't get it.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,233 posts, read 13,977,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
A lot has been made of the 1.5 trillion tax cut GOP just passed. But doing some simple math it seems like not that big a deal, whether you are for or against.

So in the last decade we've averaged about 3 trillion total tax revenue a year ( https://www.thebalance.com/current-u...evenue-3305762 ). Now that tax cut is over 10 years, or about 150 billion a year. 150 billion out of 3 trillion is 5%.

Am I right that all we are talking about is a 5% tax cut? If not, where is my error? If yes, why is this such big news?
be it a 5%...or a 10%...or even a 2% cut in the taxes for 90% of the people...its a cut

I'll take any penny I can get from this over spending government of ours

Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, shows you don't have a clue. I'm complaining about a $1,528 month healthcare premium, you bet ya. Are you that narrow minded that you think everyone works for someone else? People like you depend on people like me so you have a job so your attitude is unwarranted unless you have what it takes to run a business and not depend on someone else to put food on your table.

And by the way, when employees get healthcare though work, their employer is subsidizing that appalling healthcare premium, money that could have been paid to the employee but instead is paid to the insurance company. Obviously you don't get it.
Lol. Did you read what I said? You work for yourself, so you should expect to pay the full cost. Do you want me to pay it? Yes, my salary would most likely be higher, if my employer didn't have to pay high percentage of the health premium. That's just math.

Healthcare is severely expensive in this country, and this has NOTHING to do with Obamacare. My employer sponsored insurance has NOTHING to do with Obamacare. The rest of the world already showed that only two models work: either the (mostly) single payer of Western Europe or the more expensive heavily government regulated Swiss model. Eventually it will happen here.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
be it a 5%...or a 10%...or even a 2% cut in the taxes for 90% of the people...its a cut

Sounds good. How come my taxes are increased?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:25 PM

10,504 posts, read 4,379,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

You being on LI will be killed by the loss of deductions.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 PM

7,233 posts, read 6,426,557 times
They'll never mention pegging the capital gains rate to the income tax rate... ever.. neither will the democrats. You think your party really has your best interests at heart... let's see them put their money where their mouth is. Democrats support the people who finance them just like the right does.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 PM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,533,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...duate-students

"Many grad students especially in Ph.D. programs receive tuition waivers in exchange for teaching classes or doing research. Under current law, that money isn't taxed as income. But the new bill calls for those tuition waivers to be counted as income and subjected to income taxes.

That means graduate students would be paying taxes on money they never receive."
Those grad students are way underpaid for their teaching. The universities need to pay them what they deserve, and then that income would be fine as taxable income.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ademia-poverty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or