Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,278,548 times

Advertisements

I found this in my Dad's office. Prepared in Dec 1963 by The Survival Committee of Needham, MA which was an advisory committee to the Director of Needham's Department of Civil Defense. Seemed pretty serious and scary to me, same fear people face today IMO. I mean this is a small town of less than 30k now (25k then), but yes only 10 miles west of Boston.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 PM

33,988 posts, read 17,023,772 times
We came our closest to not being here under JFK.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,689,090 times
Could still happen today. At least back then, people prepared for it.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,506,755 times
They were still holding the duck and cover drills when I was in elementary school in the early 70's. Might be why so many from my generation take a nuke threat seriously. As another poster said at least there was preparation. The schools were designated fallout shelters as I remember.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,644,989 times
There were fallout shelters in the cities. They were just buildings on the street with signs on them. We were told that the flash of light would be the brightest light we had ever seen and that meant that we were to run to the nearest shelter. Of course, it would have been too late and most of us knew that deep down inside.

In school we were led to the basement of the building where we were lined up sitting on the floor in the dark. Our classroom drills had us crouched under our desks with our hands covering our necks. Wouldn't have done much good.

We were told to build air raid shelters in our backyards and how to stock them. There were philosophical arguments about whether or not you would let your unprepared neighbor into your shelter if the time came.

Prepared or not, we knew deep down that if we ever survived and opened the door of the shelter when it was all over, there would be no reason to want to live. And there would be so much radiation that we probably wouldn't have survived anyway.

But at least we felt that in their own way, the powers that be were trying to help us. It was scary back then but I am much more afraid today because no one is looking out for people and no one seems to care. Today it feels as though no one is in charge and the powers that be don't care about anyone. Somehow even though it was scary back then, at least there was a feeling of cohesiveness, that we were all in this together. Nothing like that today in this hate filled shadow of a country that used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies