Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Al Franken Resign
Yes 165 55.00%
No 82 27.33%
Not sure/maybe/depends/other 53 17.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's highly possible the Democrats/Party are cleaning house of anyone accused of this and getting rid of any whiff of scandalous behavior in order to beat the GOP over the head with it next year or in 2020.

It's got nothing to do with what's right or fair, it's all politics and perception shaping now.
This seems like a fair statement.

At the beginning, I thought that Senator Franken should resign, let the governor appoint someone to take his place, and then let Mr. Franken, if so disposed, run for the seat again (I think 2018). My opinion has not changed.

As for the Democrats demanding that Mr. Franken resign: they would probably be singing a different tune if the Minnesota governor was Republican. But, he isn't, and so they may safely call for Mr. Franken's head.

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
All the people citing the photo - give it up. There is clearly no physical contact between his hands and the woman's breasts in the photo. No to mention that there were at least two other people in the room - you really think he physically molested a woman in front of other people and no one is saying anything about it.

The action was inappropriate and the photo certainly isn't funny. But it's evidence of a failed attempt at humor, not proof of physical assault.

and before any accusations are thrown at me personally, I happen to think Franken should resign and hope his upcoming announcement will be just that. But that's based on all of the rest of the info that has come out, not a stupid photo to proves exactly nothing.

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Did you see Bannon's blow up last night in support of more? Wow!

Moore has to drop out now.
where and when was the blow up? I certainly didn't see it. I think we need more details. BTW, just because one person decides to resign isn't a reason for anyone to drop out of another race. Do I wish he would? yes, just because there is so much out there, proven or not, but will he? Well now it is awfully late; 2 weeks ago would have been a different story.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That completely sidestepped my question.

Why do Trump and the RNC have to support Moore? McConnell has sort of taken the middle ground by saying "let the voters decide." But Trump has gone several steps further and said he actually believes Moore. From a long-term strategic perspective alone, why do that?
Maybe Trump does believe Moore absent any legal proof to the contrary? Long term strategy aside (whatever that actually means) shouldn't one who is the head of a nation of laws and that has a Constitution stand by those?

What you say/ask is the exact problem I addressed when I supposedly "side stepped". This (sadly) has been made wholly political and has NOTHING to do with the victims or the accused actions as your question clearly shows.

I wouldn't want myself or anyone in my family or anyone I know tried,convicted and then totally destroyed without due process. Would you?

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
What will be the GOP's excuse to still support Moore now?
Oh dear.

No excuse needed.

You don't know the difference between someone proved guilty like Franken & Bill Clinton, and someone facing dubious allegations.

/thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Let me ask another question. Who took the Franken photo with the sleeping lady? I'm just saying he thinks he's a comedian and it looked staged. Seriously, who takes a photo like that and looks directly at and clowns around for the camera. It's like, why touch her boobs with pervy intent if you aren't even going to look at them when you do it?

Not a fan of Democrat Franken but just because he's a lousy comedian, cheated to get elected the first time and everyone seems to think he's a miserable person, doesn't make him a rapist/abuser.
I have thought that all along. the picture looked fake to me.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh dear.

No excuse needed.

You don't know the difference between someone proved guilty like Franken & Bill Clinton, and someone facing dubious allegations.

/thread

How has Mr. Franken been 'proven' guilty? Is your standard merely that one photograph?

If such is the standard you are using, then I guess the two women coming forth with Mr. Moore's handwriting is proof of guilt?

Donald JOHN Trump is on tape speaking of how he approaches women, even a married woman. Is that 'proof of guilt'?

Anyway, guilt is determined in a court of law. Neither Mr. Franken nor Mr. Moore (or Mr. Trump) have been determined to be 'guilty' of anything. It does appear that each acted improperly.

Mr. Franken, apparently, will resign his seat (which I approve of). Mr. Trump was elected despite the allegations and tapes, and Mr. Moore fate will be decided by the voters next week. It all seems proper, to me.

Likewise, if Mr. Franken again runs for his Senate seat, and is elected, then all will be proper then.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Should Al Franken Resign?

The photo of his hands on that sleeping woman's mammary glands pretty much damned him into that position.

It's a bit of a shame too. For all the crazed Democrats in whats left of that party, he was one of the more reasonable ones when it came to actual policy.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have thought that all along. the picture looked fake to me.
It's not "fake" but looks more like it's staged as a poor attempt at humor. This is not surprising given who we're talking about.
My question is "did he ever actually touch her" (dubious) or was he just mugging for the camera being the gutter snipe "comedian" that he is (can you tell I don't like him?) ?

Let me toss something else into the mix concerning all these women who claim he "touched their butt" or whatever during photo shoots.
Was that really intentional on his part or an accident while hurrying through the many,many of these that politicians have to do at every event? Were some intentional and some accidental?

Who knows? That is THE problem with all of this...

Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Franken's admission is enough to convict him in some peoples minds.

Trump telling Bush that he went after a married women every way he knew how and she turned him down is confession enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies