U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Al Franken Resign
Yes 165 55.00%
No 82 27.33%
Not sure/maybe/depends/other 53 17.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 AM

13,173 posts, read 4,500,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Al Franken has released a new statement. It's several paragraphs and he asks for an ethics investigation of himself.

Franken releases new statement, calls for ethics investigation of himself | TheHill
Nobody said he was very bright.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 AM

79,542 posts, read 33,708,686 times
I don't care much for the guy but it's a decent apology.

UPDATE: Al Franken issues statement on groping incident

Old 11-16-2017, 11:15 AM

12,055 posts, read 5,156,615 times
Apologies aren't good enough for anyone else, so why for him? It couldn't be happening to a more obnoxious Senator. Thank you Al!!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM

2,724 posts, read 914,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Because he's not a liar and he takes responsibility for his actions. And he has empathy.
It's because he's trying to salvage his political career. Has absolutely nothing to do with responsibility and empathy, which if he had any of that, he wouldn't have done what he did to get into this situation in the first place.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM

79,542 posts, read 33,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Apologies aren't good enough for anyone else, so why for him? It couldn't be happening to a more obnoxious Senator. Thank you Al!!
"Good enough" Who said it was "good enough"? Be exact.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM

3,411 posts, read 1,333,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't care much for the guy but it's a decent apology.

UPDATE: Al Franken issues statement on groping incident
I agree. That apology seems sincere. It also seems that he is ashamed about how he had acted in the past and I believe that his prior actions may not reflect how he feels today at all.
People do change. I am sure many men who are advocate for womens rights may have mistreated women in the past. People do change over time.
I for one, hope he really has changed. I hope that most men who have acted inappropriately towards women have changed.
I would love for my daughter to grow up in a world where she does not have to feel ashamed of her body, hide her beauty or second guess herself at anytime. I never want her to feel guilty for a mans lack of impulse. Never second guess her outfit, her tone of voice.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:24 AM

2,858 posts, read 1,454,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It's because he's trying to salvage his political career. Has absolutely nothing to do with responsibility and empathy, which if he had any of that, he wouldn't have done what he did to get into this situation in the first place.
Exactly.

It's kinda laughable that people are like "He's responsible for his actions! Go Al!".

No, dude got caught with his hand in the cookie jar by his mommy, and now he's trying to avoid getting a spanking from her by lessening the damage as possible, that's it.

The accusations are one thing (I haven't followed the Moore story and I don't care about it), but when you have a picture or video of it....and you keep spewing days before how "OMG ASSAULT IZ WRONG DUNT DO IT GUYZ!" over and over again, well, kinda just makes you look like a hypocritical moron.

I bet had he shutup with all the sexual assault stuff the past few weeks, this wouldn't really even be an issue.

THAT'S why he's in such doo-doo.

I'm not surprised at all, though, dude has looked mad creepy to me even since the SNL days.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:29 AM

3,411 posts, read 1,333,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Exactly.

It's kinda laughable that people are like "He's responsible for his actions! Go Al!".

No, dude got caught with his hand in the cookie jar by his mommy, and now he's trying to avoid getting a spanking from her by lessening the damage as possible, that's it.

The accusations are one thing (I haven't followed the Moore story and I don't care about it), but when you have a picture or video of it....and you keep spewing days before how "OMG ASSAULT IZ WRONG DUNT DO IT GUYZ!" over and over again, well, kinda just makes you look like a hypocritical moron.

I bet had he shutup with all the sexual assault stuff the past few weeks, this wouldn't really even be an issue.

THAT'S why he's in such doo-doo.

I'm not surprised at all, though, dude has looked mad creepy to me even since the SNL days.
I have said since the Trump "accusation" week, that half of the male talking heads, politicians, and Hollywood stars that were acting all appalled have probably been guilty of the same thing at least once. That's the sad part is that one by one those who ridiculed and pretended to be above the accused, were actually part of the problem and doing the same thing.

They would have been better off, instead of acting all shocked and appalled at such behavior, stated that "hey, in the past I may have acted in this same offensive manner but now realize how unacceptable it was and is...." just that line would have saved many men in the coming future a lot of hassle. Its about to get ugly.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 AM

7,403 posts, read 3,056,313 times
Bye bye Franken-----you funny guy! You'll be consumed by legal fees for the rest of your life!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:33 AM

7,248 posts, read 4,686,590 times
Personally, I think Franken is an extremely good Senator, but as a human being he's often a nasty, disrespectful creep. You don't see much of that in his public persona, but if you live in Minnesota as long as I did (and hang in the circles I did) you hear enough of the stories to develop a picture of who he is. He tends to have a lot of "unguarded moments" when he's home on weekends, and I'll just leave it at that.

I wouldn't be surprised if more stories like this come out about Franken. In fact, I'll be a little surprised if they don't. This is the big reason I roll my eyes whenever someone starts talking about running him for President - if he ever steps out under that spotlight, he'll get illuminated a lot more intensely than he has been as a Senator. I don't think his "off-camera" personal life would stand up very well under the microscope. He is not the warm, kindhearted character he often seems to be when making a speech.

Oh - and while I agree that the incident in the photo may not technically be assault, it is in shockingly poor taste and completely unbecoming a United States Senator. Or anyone else over the age of 11, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or