U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 AM

943 posts, read 367,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
And I will tell you that most professional women hate that they can't find reasonably priced clothing that provides coverage. I've hung on to some suits and dresses from many years back just to keep myself covered. I'm tired of the sleeveless rage, especially since my office is kept freezing. I'd also prefer a dress or skirt be to the knee. They can be found but it takes some real searching and they are not lines that are budget friendly.
+1 on this. This is why camis have become so popular. Women are just trying to be fashionable, no woman wants to dress like a frump, but the current fashions really push it. Most women aren't trying to show too much at the office in case some may think that. That is another way men have it a LOT easier. Any old shirt and pants is fine. You can even wear the same shirt in the same workweek and it goes unnoticed. Must be nice, so try to cut us a break with the wardrobe issue. It's darn expensive too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 AM

17,053 posts, read 19,398,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I also hope that all real predators are exposed. But how??
Until Bill Clinton is made to pay dearly, all of these sexual harassment accusations are nonsense.

Can't ignore the elephant in the room. But the hypocritical leftists won't allow it.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:10 AM

16,732 posts, read 8,627,485 times
Decades ago in the mid 90's I saw a male co-worker get fired for asking a female colleague out on a date. It is wise for men in the work place to keep communication with female co-workers strictly business. No compliments, no personal discussions, no lunches, etc.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:13 AM

12,015 posts, read 6,613,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's both. Some men are jerks and some women are manipulative.

The one difference is that women are never ever to blame. Ever. Everything that happens to them is 100% the man's fault. Everything. They bear no responsibility on what happens to them, they are poor, hapless victims.

Unless they aren't because they are strong independent creatures that need no protection from anyone or anything, thank you very much, so don't even ASK if they need help, how dare you insinuate that they can't do it all on their own.

Until they #metoo till the cows come home.

It's an interesting and destructive phenomena that is never addressed: helpless victim/no responsibility vs strong and independent.
What about Terry Crews? He is out there complaining of being groped #metoo, just like those "hapless" female victims. Maybe he was being sexy and manipulative to the pervert who grabbed his crotch. Maybe he is at fault.??? I didn't think so. And he isn't, god bless him for having the guts to tell his story, a lot of men would be too embarrassed.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 AM

13,067 posts, read 4,425,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What about Terry Crews? He is out there complaining of being groped #metoo, just like those "hapless" female victims. Maybe he was being sexy and manipulative to the pervert who grabbed his crotch. Maybe he is at fault.??? I didn't think so. And he isn't, god bless him for having the guts to tell his story, a lot of men would be too embarrassed.
What man would be embarrassed to out a slug who did something like that? I don't know many that would. In fact, it's more likely the pervert would end up with a mouthful of his own teeth and the victim would tell everyone why he broke his jaw without any problem at all.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 AM

12,015 posts, read 6,613,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
What man would be embarrassed to out a slug who did something like that? I don't know many that would. In fact, it's more likely the pervert would end up with a mouthful of his own teeth and the victim would tell everyone why he broke his jaw without any problem at all.
But Terry Crews didn't hit the guy. He reacted the way the women victims did - he was shocked and went to the media to out the abuser. Anyone can be a victim.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:24 AM

15,367 posts, read 5,664,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
My husband turns to me this morning and said "you know, I have been thinking a lot about all of this sexual harassment stuff and I am raking my brain trying to figure out if I have ever acted improperly with a woman before. I know my buddies and I have said inappropriate things, for sure, but I also think I may have in college grabbed a few a**es at the bar a few times"... I have to say in that moment I felt bad.
Your husband is not alone, not by a long shot. I think probably every male in America is going through this mental exercise, and I bet many, many of them, if they are being honest with themselves, will realize they have behaved badly towards women in the past.

I don't condemn them all, because as a culture, it was not only allowed, it was encouraged.

But times are changing. Going forward no one has the excuse of not knowing they are being offensive any longer.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 AM

943 posts, read 367,300 times
Just thought I would add this here as this has stuck with me for 20+ years since the Anita Hill issue. I don't make excuses for men or blame the women for dress, etc.

A well known male lawyer at that time (name escapes me) pointed this out in regard to workplace sexual harassment. He said men KNOW when they are doing it and need to own up to that fact. They know they are doing it more than the women who are forced to explain how they "perceive it".

It's so simple.....in regard to showing interest in a woman:

1) Man asks woman out. She says no. No harm no foul, move on.
2) Man asks same woman out a second time. He's being a real pest. He's pushing it and HE KNOWS IT.
3) Man asks same woman out a third time. He is clearly sexually harassing her now and again HE KNOWS IT.

All men know this deep down, no handbook or harassment sensitivity course needed.

Last edited by motownnative; 11-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-17-2017, 08:30 AM

14,112 posts, read 11,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
+1 on this. This is why camis have become so popular. Women are just trying to be fashionable, no woman wants to dress like a frump, but the current fashions really push it. Most women aren't trying to show too much at the office in case some may think that. That is another way men have it a LOT easier. Any old shirt and pants is fine. You can even wear the same shirt in the same workweek and it goes unnoticed. Must be nice, so try to cut us a break with the wardrobe issue. It's darn expensive too.

Interesting this. ^^ I had noticed from watching the news that it seems ALL the female commentators are going sleeveless and in a lot of cases this is quite...revealing. Nurses and medical techs, including medical receptionists, catch a break with the non descript Scrubs, but outside of that things are different.

In my line of work I worked with quite a few women but in the trades everybody dressed the same. Carharrtes in the winter, Ripstop cargo pants and t shirts in the summer. Office type women workers are pretty limited. I agree on the sleeveless look. C'mon. Not every woman wants to go to work dressed like that.

You should start a thread about this up in fashion. I'd be interested to see the responses.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM

2,881 posts, read 2,728,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But Terry Crews didn't hit the guy. He reacted the way the women victims did - he was shocked and went to the media to out the abuser. Anyone can be a victim.
Crews pretty much did that because he knew what would happen to him if he did go the violent route. You've seen him interviewed, he's not a stupid guy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies