Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Ask Bill Clinton.

Heck, ask Hillary.

She stood by her man while he raped his way to the WH, and even defended a rapist who attacked a 12 yr old girl, laughing about it.

But according to the media, they are the darling golden couple that can do no wrong.
You really need to learn the difference between facts and propaganda.

President Clinton didn't "rape" his way to the White House.

Secretary Clinton defended a rapist, but she didn't laugh about the rape. She laughed in derision because the man she was defending passed a lie detector test. So much for the veracity of lie detector tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Women are coming forward because it's a opportunity for societal change. Women have been sexually harassed and assaulted forever, and have been silent BECAUSE it's been accepted. Women are coming forward to say it's not accepted anymore, it won't be accepted in the future. And this is a positive thing for our society.
I agree that it is a positive thing. I want change. I want my daughter to grow up and never have to deal with some of the things I did. Of course. I pray she will not ever have to feel insecurity or guilt for others actions. Feel like she has to defend her body or possibly use it to advance herself.
My question is should these men be "punished" now so many years later for doing something that was basically socially acceptable? Will that get us anywhere? Rape, yes. That takes a sick person, one who probably can never be rehabilitated.
I want all of this to come to light. I want sexually harassment to stop in the workplace and everywhere.
Just not sure that men losing their jobs, families etc. is really the answer for something done so many years ago.
Yes, those who have done it recently, sure. 40, 30, 20, 15 years ago.. a grop here, a grab there.. not sure. Wrong, yes. But punishable now? I struggle with this. I am not sure the correct answer.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
You really need to learn the difference between facts and propaganda.

President Clinton didn't "rape" his way to the White House.

Secretary Clinton defended a rapist, but she didn't laugh about the rape. She laughed in derision because the man she was defending passed a lie detector test. So much for the veracity of lie detector tests.
Many women have accused Clinton of rape. They just didn't #metoo so they get no attention.

Your "interpretation" of Hilary's "laugh" is your own perception.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I agree. BUT What men think of as being a jerk may actually be crossing the line of harassment. Or at least finally the line is being put in a more reasonable place. Its basically been socially acceptable for men to act like jerks and degrade woman and use their power over them in the workplace and outside the workplace.

I will say, working in the legal profession, I see a big change though from say 20 years ago when I started to this day. Its not as open and acceptable anymore. That's a good thing. That's why I am unsure that punishing men for things they did 40, 30 or 20 years ago should even be happening. Rape, that is on another level. Groping, unwanted sexual advances, not sure. I am not sure there would be that many men left standing.

I have friends that works on wall street. You would not even imagine the stories I used to hear about 20 years ago. Sick stuff. I am sure it is not that way anymore (or at least I hope).
Things have changed tremendously in the past 20 years. But in terms of punishing men for things they did decades ago, I think it's important to clarify what you mean by "punishing". Outing what they have done may have consequences, but it's unlikely that any of these men will be prosecuted or fined or jailed. Being exposed for bad behavior may be unpleasant. But what they did to these women was just as unpleasant. And it's very empowering for these women to be able to come forward.

Like you, I'm not planning on coming forward and calling out the men who've done me wrong. Those men aren't notable in any way, and calling them out would be pointless. But if it is someone notable, the accusation will have traction in effecting societal change.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I do agree with this.
Years ago my co-workers and I were invited on a helicopter to go to AC with some real estate developers and their attys.. I did not go as I was already seeing my future husband.
Lets just say we knew why we were being invited. So two co-workers went. The following Monday their stories were great. Old rich men grabbing them and how they had to keep inching away to keep their old fingers where they belonged etc.. these co-workers were laughing as they told the stories. Then how they were given TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in chips by these same old geezers, how they kept their winnings, which they gladly accepted and how these same men paid for their rooms, dinner, drinks. They were proud of this night back then. They were actually bragging about all the money and attention they got from these high powered old men. Thought they were the cats meow..
Fast forward to a few months ago, we all met up for dinner. Well now they talk about that night as the night they were sexually assaulted and how they never got over the humiliation. WHAT??
Excellent point and explanation. This was a willing and consensual incident. All parties knew the rules.

Maybe you should tell them to donate all the money they accepted to charity so they feel better. Ha.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Many women have accused Clinton of rape. They just didn't #metoo so they get no attention.

Your "interpretation" of Hilary's "laugh" is your own perception.
Many? That's untrue.

My "interpretation" of Hillary's laugh is based on watching the video. Your "interpretation" is based on bias.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thanks for worrying about me reputation.

Just pulled up Certainly Not News (CNN) and didn't find anything about Franken (stein)....maybe they have it somewhere on their site. If he was a Repub they would have shut down all coverage of everything else happening in the world.

Anyway, carry on with your fibbing.
Al Franken's apology to Leeann Tweeden (full statement) - CNNPolitics

Woman alleges Franken groped, kissed her without consent - CNNPolitics

They do have it somewhere on their site. And it's on MSNBC, it's on the New York Times, it's on the Washington Post, it's even on Rolling Stone!

Old 11-16-2017, 12:48 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Excellent point and explanation. This was a willing and consensual incident. All parties knew the rules.

Maybe you should tell them to donate all the money they accepted to charity so they feel better. Ha.
Years ago they were young and stupid. They look back and realize they don't want their daughters to be dumb sellouts to grubby old men. It's called maturity.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:50 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
Quote:
Things have changed tremendously in the past 20 years. But in terms of punishing men for things they did decades ago, I think it's important to clarify what you mean by "punishing". Outing what they have done may have consequences, but it's unlikely that any of these men will be prosecuted or fined or jailed. Being exposed for bad behavior may be unpleasant. But what they did to these women was just as unpleasant. And it's very empowering for these women to be able to come forward.

Like you, I'm not planning on coming forward and calling out the men who've done me wrong. Those men aren't notable in any way, and calling them out would be pointless. But if it is someone notable, the accusation will have traction in effecting societal change.
When I mean punish, I mean basically ruin these mens lives.

Most people just pretend to act shocked to hide their own guilt for turning a blind eye. Or they have participated in the same behavior at some point. They are not really shocked. These people are not really being "outed". People knew. Just not EVERYONE knew. They were covered for.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:50 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Quote:

Or there is a chance they just want revenge against a man

Or thy want attention and sympathy m

That's why we have a statute of limitations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies