U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 09:42 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,067,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why should I pay for something that I will never use?

Why should renters without cars pay for parking they will never use?

If youíre renting a US city apartment without a car, 16% of your rent pays for parking you donít need

https://qz.com/1029925/if-youre-rent...you-dont-need/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 05:58 AM

29,756 posts, read 16,447,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Just think about that for a moment. Without education...we don't have doctors, nurses, dentists, scientists, engineers etc. Are you saying you don't go to a doctor or dentist. We can't all be uneducated. Some actually want to learn which benefits all of us.
Now this is just sad, believing unless the govt provides a collectivized education system we wont have doctors, nurses, dentists, scientists, engineers, etc.
If you studied up on it, you'd find the govt limits the supply of doctors, nurses etc.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 AM

26,725 posts, read 11,222,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Stupid reactionary idea. Everyone benefits from a good education system. People who walk shouldn't have to pay for roads, people who live inland shouldn't have to pay for the coast guard.
Key word good. Our education system is corrupt and failing. People who walk don't have products and services delivered to them by vehicles that don't use gas? lol hence the gas tax. The tax should be raised or lowered to cover all the costs of our roads imo.
The Coast Guard is a defined responsibility of our Federal government. Protect our borders.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:07 AM

16,946 posts, read 11,825,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Apparently someone in California is pushing an initiative to allow people without children to escape paying school taxes.

California proposal: No kids? Then don't pay school taxes | Fox News

Interesting idea. I think public education in this country has gone into the toilet. And I don't have kids, so if this caught on, I'd financially benefit. But this would likely collapse what's left of public education. And if you think society is unraveling now, just wait to see what the results of that would be.
Paternity tests will be up, good time to invest if law passed. 'Not my kid, I'm not the father'.

Public edu has collapsed. Instead of eliminating people with no kids, reduce their tax and help retirees with a deeper cut.

The biggest boost we can give edu to improve public edu is eliminate the teachers' unions. they treat teachers like they work in a widget factory, time onthe job is their only criteria to judge performance.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 AM

26,725 posts, read 11,222,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You massively benefit from living in a society of people who can read and write. So we pool our resources to make that happen. Hell, we may even foster some talent in gifted individuals along the way. It's not rocket surgery.
It's not about anything you said. None of it. It's about paying for services that do not directly benefit that tax payer. Yea lets leave it to you to tell us how much people without kids will benefit.
As if government run schools are the only way to educate people. Let me guess, you went to public schools.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:12 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,138,523 times
The responsibility for children must rely upon the parents.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:12 AM

32,480 posts, read 16,638,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's about paying for services that do not directly benefit that tax payer.
An educated populace is a direct benefit. (As are roads, defense, etc.)

Quote:
As if government run schools are the only way to educate people.
Your alternative to ensure everyone learns the basics would be - what?

Quote:
Let me guess, you went to public schools.
Actually, mostly no. You - seeing as you decided to make this anecdotal?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM

4,823 posts, read 1,633,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Kinda impractical.
It's always more impractical to respect the will of others over your own. Back when I was in little league, it would have been a lot more practical to go door to door with a gun rather than asking people to buy my candy bars.

Quote:
If it was universally shared, no worries. But men aren't angels.
Anything you apply to humans as a whole, you must apply to government as well. Men aren't angels and will initiate force, agreed. Therefore we must give some men permission to initiate force...DO NOT agree.

Quote:
If he drives on public roads, get clean water through public utilities, enjoy the protection of the police and fire department, basks in living among an educated populace? Yeah, he can pony up or go live among the savages.
That would be a fair argument only if alternatives weren't outlawed. If Walmart forced you to pay them monthly and delivered groceries to you, and you didn't like that arrangement but all competition was outlawed, I don't think it would be fair to tell you "quit whining and pay Walmart, unless you want to go live in the woods and hunt your own food."

Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If you studied up on it, you'd find the govt limits the supply of doctors, nurses etc.
By insisting that doctors know a spleen from a gallbladder and jailing snake-oil salesmen, sure.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That would be a fair argument only if alternatives weren't outlawed.
Seems as if the benefits extend to everybody. Take roads. No matter how much you hate the idea of public roads, the entire machinery is running on what is here and now, publicly funded roads. My neighbor can sit in his ivory tower and argue that if we just went with private enterprise, that would so very obviously be better - but here he is, benefiting from cashiers who learned numbers in public schools, public roads to carry his necessities and a public fire department that makes sure buildings open to the public have fire exits.

My neighbor owes. Even if the arrangement isn't 100% to his liking. He can join us in the argument that our tax proceeds should be used better, or more sparingly, or on other things. But if he wants to argue that he's being violated by paying for the benefits he's enjoying, well - he can put up a homestead somewhere out of sight. We collectively gave him a great head start by making the facilities of a first-world country available to him.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 11-20-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies