U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:21 AM

5,490 posts, read 2,027,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
BTW, don't all Californians want to pay ever more taxes? Shame on you for not wanting to pay your fair share.
Let's see... I'm giving up my personal deduction and my state/local deduction, causing my taxes to go up, to help fund a tax cut so some rich guy can avoid paying AMT. Yeah that's "fair."

This tax plan is so heavily stacked in favor of the wealthy it's shocking that Congress actually supports it with a straight face and in broad daylight. Also shocking is how conservatives, who for years were so concerned about the public debt, are gleefully borrowing $5 Tril over 10 years to fund this handout to the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:14 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,083,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Let's see... I'm giving up my personal deduction and my state/local deduction, causing my taxes to go up, to help fund a tax cut so some rich guy can avoid paying AMT. Yeah that's "fair."

This tax plan is so heavily stacked in favor of the wealthy it's shocking that Congress actually supports it with a straight face and in broad daylight. Also shocking is how conservatives, who for years were so concerned about the public debt, are gleefully borrowing $5 Tril over 10 years to fund this handout to the rich.
there was an article in the NYTimes that the tax cuts benefits the rich and corporations and the residents of states with low cost of living.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 AM

4,983 posts, read 6,384,155 times
Guess who benefits the most?

House Republicans Pass Tax Bill
No one seemed to care that the bill isnít particularly popular.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000009
Democrats criticized their GOP colleagues for selling this tax plan as a middle-class tax cut when 47 percent of the tax benefits, according to a study by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, would go to the richest 1 percent.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:42 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,975,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The usual RHINOs, remember at voting time.
McClintock and Rohrabacher are RINOs?
(I wouldn't exactly call Jones, Smith, and Zeldin RINOs either.)

Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 PM
DKM

2,828 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
McClintock and Rohrabacher are RINOs?
(I wouldn't exactly call Jones, Smith, and Zeldin RINOs either.)
Issa had to vote no, or he would be gone next year for certain. The other 2 had no risk of losing their seats so their stand was principled.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM

12,049 posts, read 5,151,765 times
Quote:
Trump's tax plan passed the House by a 227-205 vote. For many middle- and upper-class Californians this bill will cause you to pay more in taxes.

These California representatives voted to increase your taxes:

Yea R LaMalfa, Doug CA 1st
Yea R Cook, Paul CA 8th
Yea R Denham, Jeff CA 10th
Yea R Valadao, David CA 21st
Yea R Nunes, Devin CA 22nd
Yea R McCarthy, Kevin CA 23rd
Yea R Knight, Steve CA 25th
Yea R Royce, Ed CA 39th
Yea R Calvert, Ken CA 42nd
Yea R Walters, Mimi CA 45th
Yea R Hunter, Duncan CA 50th

We Californians need to remember this in 2018.
Were you just as outraged when the CA legislature voted to increase the gas tax and annual registration fee which hurts people the most that can least afford it?

Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,228,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Were you just as outraged when the CA legislature voted to increase the gas tax and annual registration fee which hurts people the most that can least afford it?
Or the $50 million for legal services for illegal aliens.

Or Janet Napolitano hiding $175 million in the UC system and interfering in the audit.

Selective outrage.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:03 PM

4,788 posts, read 2,197,811 times
To counteract this, the state assembly should repeal the gas tax and registration fee hikes.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 PM

18,610 posts, read 9,618,463 times
Quote:

No you're giving up your state and local exemption because you should pay just as much FIT as the guy in Alabama making the same income. Put another way, you are paying and getting services from your state that you are taking as a deduction that others (like us in Washington state) can't take.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 PM

5,490 posts, read 2,027,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
No you're giving up your state and local exemption because you should pay just as much FIT as the guy in Alabama making the same income. Put another way, you are paying and getting services from your state that you are taking as a deduction that others (like us in Washington state) can't take.
It doesn't matter what state people live in -- the feds shouldn't tax dollars given to state and local governments. It's a form of double taxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or