U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM

22,698 posts, read 16,176,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Of course, they can. And they do - -they ask for one's driver's license almost every time they stop a car.
I've never been asked to produce my driver's license at a checkpoint.
Never.

The agents ask if I am an America citizen, I say "yes" and they say "have a nice day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,227,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
They could set up a mobile one, but I think that the limit is 100 miles from the border.
At least in NM, I-40 is somewhere around 300 miles from the border.
Yes, I just read that, they can only be 100 miles from the border, but because they are already doing something in violation of the Constitution, nothing says they will follow the courts rules.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:57 AM

18,671 posts, read 6,728,894 times
Quote:
They could set up a mobile one, but I think that the limit is 100 miles from the border.
At least in NM, I-40 is somewhere around 300 miles from the border.
There are three temporary ones (sometimes inactive) in California that I know of.

-CA 78 south of Palo Verde
-CA 86 south of Mecca
-I-10 east of Coachella and west of Chiriaco Summit

Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
^^^THIS.
Are you people saying there are checkpoints or roadblocks on the interstates where traffic comes to a halt and drivers are checked for legal status? I have never heard of such. Seems that would create a giant cluster duck on our interstate system. Or are you spinning local roadblocks on state highways that check for drunk drivers, legal licensed and insured drivers and if the driver has any outstanding warrants into some sort of show me your papers or your being deported even if your here legally becasue Trump says so.
Yes, there are checkpoints on the highways in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California that do exactly that.

"The United States Border Patrol operates 71 traffic checkpoints, including 33 permanent traffic checkpoints, near the southern border of the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...or_checkpoints

Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 AM

5,251 posts, read 2,681,785 times
Quote:
Never.

The agents ask if I am an America citizen, I say "yes" and they say "have a nice day."
Same. We were coming from south padre. We hit a checkpoint. They had us roll the window down and asked if we were Americans. We all said yes and they let us pass...

Meanwhile to the right. They had a bus filled of mexicans pulled out and being searched with dogs.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You are talking about border patrol check points then. No I dont "get out" to those areas. I dont live in a border state. I-40 runs thru my back yard and I have never in 40 years seen a interstate checkpoint. Nor did I when I-75 or I-24.
Im wondering why traveling on I-10 or I-40 from Houston to Los Angles one would worry about check points. Seems these are done to check illegal border crossings.
Probably not an issue on I-40 but there is one on I-10 a few miles into New Mexico, after you leave Texas, on the west (California) bound side of the highway.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:05 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,099,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they can't.
Eh, I don't know. Once you enter one of these checkpoints it's not exactly clear what rights you do and don't have.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 AM

8,045 posts, read 5,844,557 times
Part of what is happening is there are people who maintain the police cannot ask for your identification unless you are being arrested. They are probably right, but I wouldn't challenge them myself. Search around, this is a strong movement at border control points away from the actual borders, and DWI checkpoints. A lawyer in Florida has gone so far as to have a site that tells how to show a denial to the police through your rolled up window. I don't know how this will work out for an immigration check point. Search around the net.
Fair DUI | Protect the innocent. Focus on education over punishment.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:16 AM

9,442 posts, read 5,790,348 times
Quote:
Never.

So they're only trying to catch the illegals stupid enough to admit it?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 AM

6,881 posts, read 1,732,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they can't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_search_exception

The border patrol uses the above exception within the 100 miles of the border. They stop every vehicle and randomly search whoever they want. There is no probable cause to simply be driving on a US interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or