U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:08 AM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,528,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Pretty sure you'd both be singing a different tune if it was your kid the teacher got physical with.
Only the scarf was touched. It's not as if the student's hair was yanked harshly or her head smacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 AM

4,323 posts, read 1,786,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Do you take that same approach to criticizing people for their political beliefs? What about political parties?

I suggest if you have no opinion on politics or religion, this sub-forum isn't the right place.

Religion, after all, is politics wrapped up in a god-complex. And some religions have political designs. As an atheist you understand that in some parts of the world dominated by certain religions, you would literally be killed for being atheist. Not all religions create equal outcomes for the societies that adopt them. And if you think that sort of thing isn't possible in the US, you aren't paying attention and haven't studied history.

I will - ALWAYS - criticize people's garbage religious beliefs. In that way, hopefully the brainwashing can be reversed.
Great I personally think most religious people are harmless they don't bother me and I don't bother them. I live in the USA if the religious tried to shove religion into a public school by influencing the curriculum I would oppose it. However if someone wears a cross or hijab whatever thats not a battle I want to fight and I am certainly not going to arrogantly stand up on a soapbox and criticize them its there choice.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 AM

10,317 posts, read 10,317,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Idaho, nuff said
I have always wondered what he toys with?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 AM

11,011 posts, read 6,453,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Would you be ok with a teacher ripping a cross necklace off a student?
We are not talking about crosses or necklaces.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 AM

10,317 posts, read 10,317,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Religion should be disrespected. Why on earth would you respect people's absurd beliefs? The only thing we owe people is the right TO believe..... we owe those beliefs NOTHING.

Especially the really really garbage beliefs that mandate women cover themselves up or subsume the role of women. You cannot be progressive and be "FOR" that sort of thing under the guise of "religious celebration and acceptance." I don't care if you think you can, you're wrong and ignorant if that's what you believe.

Look back to the 50's etc as to how good Christian women should act and dress. Used to be in Ar that any woman that wore shorts was a *****.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 AM

51,640 posts, read 41,606,703 times
Quote:
Pretty sure you'd both be singing a different tune if it was your kid the teacher got physical with.
That wasn't the point of their posts but rather the portrayal that it's really some big common trend worthy of an entire hand-wringing article.

Using uncommon incidents to try to push a narrative or agenda is skeevy but Newsweek is fighting for it's life like most print media and as such they're going to serve up some comfort food type articles like this to get readers that want to reinforce their prejudices.

Just read some of the thread posts and you can easily spot the posters that bit hard on the narrative while plastering on political references just to make sure everyone remembers just how biased they are.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM

21,715 posts, read 21,610,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
No hats in school. That was always the rule at my school.
Me too and if boys had to be told repeatedly to remove their hat often the teacher would "rip" it off their head.

Quote:
Not if my child was ignoring the school rules. I have told mine if he ever gets caught using his cell phone during class when it was disallowed dont come crying to me when the teacher takes it from him.

Quote:
Would you be ok with a teacher ripping a cross necklace off a student?
If he were wearing it as a head covering and head coverings were not permitted in the dress code, yes.

What is the rule at the schools for head coverings and/or religious symbols?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Look back to the 50's etc as to how good Christian women should act and dress. Used to be in Ar that any woman that wore shorts was a *****.
Yes, but it's not the 1950s anymore, is it? And it's no longer acceptable to "expect" women to dress in a modest way.

What's interesting is that even moderate Muslims in Europe and the US will tell you that despite the trend for Muslim women being MORE liberalization in attitudes towards dress, there is actually now more and more presence of burka, niqab, hijab in even Muslim-majority places that wasn't there before. It's indicative of a conservative flavor of the religion that's sweeping through the Ummah and into the west.

So if you had a problem with 50s attitudes, you should see some disturbing parallels. Things are going backwards, and we're welcoming it with open arms because people are xenophiles without critical thinking skills.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:21 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
Great I personally think most religious people are harmless they don't bother me and I don't bother them. I live in the USA if the religious tried to shove religion into a public school by influencing the curriculum I would oppose it. However if someone wears a cross or hijab whatever thats not a battle I want to fight and I am certainly not going to arrogantly stand up on a soapbox and criticize them its there choice.

I'm sure the second grader in the article from Newsweek has a real choice in the matter to be covered for "modesty" purposes.

Your unwillingness to confront regressive cultural norms is noted. Women across the Muslim world thank you for sticking up to their "choice" to run around in beekeepers outfits. So do their husbands.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 AM

13,458 posts, read 8,472,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I remember when a teacher grabbed my hat off my head, few times it happened because I kept wearing it. They should mind their business, it is not bothering anyone.
Be sure you tell us when you use that argument in a courtroom.
I wanna watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies