U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 AM

9,615 posts, read 4,607,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The single biggest obstacle to smart guns is legislation in NJ that would trigger a mandate that they all be smart guns. If it could be proven reliable I would consider buying such a gun as long as it could be turned off, without that option thanks but no thanks.
The smart gun technology does not work yet. Might be worth it , if it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM

17,820 posts, read 8,894,085 times
We need to BAN everything in which humans can use in a stupid, and dangerous manner. That is the point of this thread.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:13 AM

36,949 posts, read 16,117,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ngs/873053001/

Statistics show that gun owners and their families are more likely to be injured or killed by guns than those who don't own guns.
"Statistics show that gun owners and their families are more likely to be injured or killed by guns than those who don't own guns"

I don't see that anywhere in the article.

People have all sorts of accident all the time, so what is your point?

Let me guess.

A person had an accident with a gun, therefore let's ban guns.

How about THOUSANDS of people have accident with cars every DAY, so let's ban cars.

Sounds about right.

Thread FAIL!

Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,822,026 times
Quote:
Statistics show that gun owners and their families are more likely to be injured or killed by guns than those who don't own guns.
No they don't. That lie was debunked years ago, and yet ignorant anti gun nuts who care more about their agenda than the truth keep pushing it.

Quote:
https://www.gunowners.org/sk0701.htm

Fact: A study claiming "guns more likely to kill you than help you" is a total fraud. Not surprisingly, the figure claiming one is three times more likely to be killed by one's own gun is a total lie. The author of this study, Dr. Arthur Kellerman, refused to release the data behind his conclusions for years. (3) Subsequently available evidence shows why Kellerman stonewalled for so long:

* Researcher Don Kates reveals that all available data now indicates that the "home gun homicide victims [in Kellerman's study] were killed using guns not kept in the victim's home." (4) In other words, the victims were NOT murdered with their own guns! They were killed "by intruders who brought their own guns to the victim's household."

* In retrospect, Kates found, it was not the ownership of firearms that put these victims at high risk. Rather, it was the victim's "high-risk life-styles [such as criminal associations] that caused them to own guns at higher rates than the members of the supposedly comparable control group."(5)
The reality is if you're not going to shoot yourself and you're not a felon you have almost zero chance of being killed by someone with a gun. You're 13x more likely to die from the flu.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:48 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,081,775 times
That was a negligent discharge with injury of another person. The local DA should at least look at this incident.

I rarely remove my carry pistol from the holster to show to someone else. The last time I did, I pointed it in a safe direction before dropping the magazine and ejecting the round the in chamber. When I pistol to the other person, I used 2 hands so they could grab the grip. They did without putting their finger on the trigger. And despite watching me eject a round, they also checked the chamber.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:50 AM

13,720 posts, read 5,529,326 times
Quote:

Only in America.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM

2,134 posts, read 645,662 times
The irony is overwhelming.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:14 PM

14,194 posts, read 11,643,056 times
Quote:

And there are literally thousands of analogies that can be laid alongside firearms negligence that both hurt and kill people. (sigh) And I think they've all been laid out on here in the last couple of days. Firearms are indeed inherently dangerous by design. It frosts me no end to both see and hear about mishandling of them by people who know very well better.

And it happens. Doesn't support these studies and statistic though as the data is always agglomerated. That makes it pretty much useless for making any arguments either way on the gun restriction issue. I've tried to find separated data and have been unsuccessful. If anyone has had better luck I'd really like to see it shared.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM

13,720 posts, read 5,529,326 times
All God had to do is make the gun malfunction, and this tragedy could have been avoided.

God is answering millions of prayers every day. Why did he neglect these people, especially in church?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:49 PM

4,266 posts, read 4,081,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
All God had to do is make the gun malfunction, and this tragedy could have been avoided.

God is answering millions of prayers every day. Why did he neglect these people, especially in church?
Had it been a Browning, I would say that it would have been impossible. Maybe God was on the phone and missed this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies