Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Why does the GOP insist on raising my internet bills so Comcast can make more profits?

Simple, Comcast buys more legislators than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Net neutrality is a cronyist lie that Leviathan tells people because the beast wants to be the only ISP going. For over 25 years, the Internet has done just fine without government intervention. Just fine and dandy.
Net neutrality is the status quo. It was being attacked. Legislation was put in place to keep the Internet running as it had been for 25 years. Insisting on Net Neutrality is fighting for the status quo.

Quote:
If any monopoly practices exist, they were put there by the government and were paid for by their corporate cronies.
Funny, because Ajit Pai is 100% the living, breathing definition of a corporate crony, and he's doing everything he can to ensure new players are kept from challenging the established ones.

I don't get it. What makes you fight for dismantling a policy that benefits the users and keeps it easy to enter the Internet? Is it a simple matter of "I hate the government"?

Anyway, it's done. The big corporations are buying people like Ajit Pai, and their stupid, stupid backers will call it "market economy". You guys will get your tiered Internet, innovation will stagnate, connectivity will suffer and it's going to be cable TV all over again. Just don't say you weren't warned.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Why does the GOP insist on raising my internet bills so Comcast can make more profits?
I dunno. The same way the Dems insisted on taking a portion of the sale of my house so that they could give it to people with no healthcare?
Just a guess, understand.

But of course no one is forcing you to have Internet service.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How about the big government that you love, stop forcing these companies to pay a "tribute" in order to run lines? That cost is passed on to we the people. Harder for a smaller company to pay those "fees" so we have less competition.
But you keep making things up like internet will cost 3 times a much as it is now, if it helps you sleep at night.
Or we could deregulate completely and let the moochers in fly-over country pay the actual cost of dragging lines across the godforsaken wildernesses they like to live in. You up for that?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:31 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Simple, Comcast buys more legislators than you do.
Can't argue with this.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You want to hog bandwidth? Pay for it sucker. I don't care one bit if they did that. I'm not addicted to the internet like many millennials are. In reality, it won't happen. One company might try it but even with NN, a company can still tier their services and charge more for big users but others will see an opportunity to offer more and take their customers. Look at cell phones. They had a cap even with NN in place.
NN is not about bandwidth caps, it's about traffic prioritization. Doing away with NN makes it harder for new players to enter the marketplace. Anyone claiming to be in favor of an actual market economy should be clamoring for NN to be protected by as much legislation as can be thought up.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Or we could deregulate completely and let the moochers in fly-over country pay the actual cost of dragging lines across the godforsaken wildernesses they like to live in. You up for that?
Or they can just get dish high speed.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Or they can just get dish high speed.
Do you know what latency is?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
This helps to explain why there is so much bias in the media..
That isn't even what the topic is about.

smh we're all screwed.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yep, its ALL Trump's FAULT!
Is this a new tactic - post 2/3rds white space when you haven't a clue about the actual topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies