U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM

2,593 posts, read 1,289,143 times

Advertisements

With all the talk of restricting firearms purchases from the mentally unstable, what would that accomplish?

"Oh, dear. I cannot legally purchase a firearm because I've been declared mentally incompetent. Since there's No Way I can now get my hands on a gun, I guess I gotta use something else."

Isn't talk about mental health purchase restrictions just a smoke screen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM

32,460 posts, read 26,332,322 times
there are already restrictions on the mentally ill buying firearms. i had an uncle who was adjudicated mentally defective, and he was not allowed to own firearms. however he was also former CIA and he knew how to kill using many other objects, and actually preferred blade weapons because they were quiet. he also knew how to make bombs as well.

if he was really a danger to society, there was nothing to stop him.

this talk of restricting firearms to the mentally ill is just a part of the effort to ban guns completely from this country by the gun grabbers. just like the 1994 assault weapons ban. they know that it wont be possible to just ban guns in this country, due mostly to the second amendment, but they can try to make it harder to get guns, through various means.

and the gun grabbers even use phrases like "reasonable gun laws" and "universal background checks". they are using incrementalism to ultimately abolish firearms. they start with reasonable laws, like the assault weapons ban. they make rifles like the AR15 seem like scary black guns to the uninformed, making them out to be a bad guys weapon, so the public cant be against banning them can they?

then it moves on to the next hated weapon that the gun grabbers choose to demonize, and so on and so forth. until they have gotten the "acceptable" guns down to muzzle loading black powder rifles where highly trained individuals can get off only 1 -3 rounds per minute at best. and from there its an easy step to just ban all guns completely. this effort might take years, but they will continue to work for the day they can claim that there are no more firearms.

and this is why we cannot compromise when it comes to the second amendment. we have enough gun laws in this country that are not being enforced, do we really need more?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM

13,139 posts, read 4,481,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there are already restrictions on the mentally ill buying firearms. i had an uncle who was adjudicated mentally defective, and he was not allowed to own firearms. however he was also former CIA and he knew how to kill using many other objects, and actually preferred blade weapons because they were quiet. he also knew how to make bombs as well.

this talk of restricting firearms to the mentally ill is just a part of the effort to ban guns completely from this country by the gun grabbers. just like the 1994 assault weapons ban. they know that it wont be possible to just ban guns in this country, due mostly to the second amendment, but they can try to make it harder to get guns, through various means.

and the gun grabbers even use phrases like "reasonable gun laws" and "universal background checks". they are using incrementalism to ultimately abolish firearms. they start with reasonable laws, like the assault weapons ban. they make rifles like the AR15 seem like scary black guns to the uninformed, making them out to be a bad guys weapon, so the public cant be against banning them can they?

then it moves on to the next hated weapon that the gun grabbers choose to demonize, and so on and so forth. until they have gotten the "acceptable" guns down to muzzle loading black powder rifles where highly trained individuals can get off only 1 -3 rounds per minute at best. and from there its an easy step to just ban all guns completely. this effort might take years, but they will continue to work for the day they can claim that there are no more firearms.

and this is why we cannot compromise when it comes to the second amendment. we have enough gun laws in this country that are not being enforced, do we really need more?
Pretty much sums it up quite well.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 PM

9,440 posts, read 5,818,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
With all the talk of restricting firearms purchases from the mentally unstable, what would that accomplish?

"Oh, dear. I cannot legally purchase a firearm because I've been declared mentally incompetent. Since there's No Way I can now get my hands on a gun, I guess I gotta use something else."

Isn't talk about mental health purchase restrictions just a smoke screen?
You've just made the argument that debunks your endless stream of anti gun threads. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE TOOL.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:57 PM

A mentally unstable person who was restricted from legally purchasing a firearm might acquire an easily accessible gun on the black market, thus becoming a 'bad guy with a gun.'

Old 11-17-2017, 06:23 PM

18,840 posts, read 9,629,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
A mentally unstable person who was restricted from legally purchasing a firearm might acquire an easily accessible gun on the black market, thus becoming a 'bad guy with a gun.'
That would be a serious felony for the mentally ill and for the person who knowingly sells firearms to him.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Oooooh. A serious felony.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 AM

1,621 posts, read 830,742 times
Not that I would ever do this, and I would never tell anyone to do this: But it seems to me the easiest place to get a GUN is you have the B**ls for it would be to break into a police car.

Most of the time they have a rifle or shotgun in the car.

Now for me, when I get my firearms, they are from the local dealer. And I then passed the NICS background check. The only way I will sell a firearm now is the same way, local gun dealer.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:11 AM

14,757 posts, read 12,243,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

Unfortunately, gun grabbers will keep pushing until we are down to flintlocks, then pitchforks, and finally fly swatters. All the while the criminals get to keep any gun of their choice, because the only people that will follow these "sensible" gun laws are law abiding citizens.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:39 AM

39,476 posts, read 40,787,686 times
Some serious issues with this:

• What is mentally unstable? Aren't we all a little nutty in our own way? If someone is carrying on conversation with the wall it's pretty clear they are mentally unstable. Where is the line?
  • Most in the medical profession fall onto the anti gun side, even if if they can set that bias aside how do you prevent them from taking someone guns away to cover their own ass?
  • Most importantly if someone is feeling a little nutty they may not seek help if they think their guns will confiscated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies