U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Trump and GOP cut 25 Billion from Medicare ,is that OK with You?
Yes 11 30.56%
No 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,393,099 times
Reputation: 9358

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Incorrect. Payments to insurers who provided Medicare Advantage policies were reduced. Medicare Advantage while technically a part of Medicare is run somewhat differently. Those reductions to the insurers meant enrollees saw higher co-pays to medical providers, higher out of pocket limits and more.
Dont interject facts into the thread..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 PM
 
32,166 posts, read 16,531,673 times
Reputation: 17257
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Its the current law. It is the same reason, when inflation is relatively low, any SS COLA increase gets 'eaten' up by an increase in Part B and or D premium.
Not even close. It's a consequence of the PAYGO act and the GOP tax plan ballooning the deficit, because they don't matter when you have GOP congress. Deficits lead to automatic cuts - that is what conservatives wanted, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
10,513 posts, read 4,385,637 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not even close. It's a consequence of the Tea Party nonsense (the PAYGO act) and the GOP tax plan ballooning the deficit, because they don't matter when you have GOP congress. Deficits lead to automatic cuts - that is what conservatives wanted, yes?
Yes they do. The GOP can blame a law. One of which they created. The goal is to kill SS and Medicare, it has always been the GOP plan from the time SS was started and then again when Medicare started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Status: "I'm an Unmherkun puppy-kicking Socialist" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Dallas, TX
3,989 posts, read 2,098,592 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
#WHATABOUTISM
Whataboutism is a variant of the tu quoue logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument, which is particularily associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda. - Wikipedia.
What-about-ism is also used by the powerful to discredit the powerless - especially double standards favoring the powerful. That the powerless can also commit it is irrelevant. Justice and fairness demand that the same rules apply equally to all people in very similar circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM
 
32,166 posts, read 16,531,673 times
Reputation: 17257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Yes they do. The GOP can blame a law. One of which they created. The goal is to kill SS and Medicare, it has always been the GOP plan from the time SS was started and then again when Medicare started.
Oh, I am certainly not calling them dishonest. They promise to do horrible things, we should not be surpsised if they do horrible things once elected.

It's pretty simple to the GOP donor class: At retirement age, you're either in the 1% (one of them) or you're a liability who'll need to be housed and fed without benefiting their bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,393,099 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Yes they do. The GOP can blame a law. One of which they created.
Pelosi touts Democrats' revival of 'pay-as-you-go' budget rules | PolitiFact

Democrats passed PAYGO, then ignored it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
10,513 posts, read 4,385,637 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Considering that this is a Senate budget rule I see that it started in 1993 and expired in 2002 and was then brought back to life.

Pelosi had nothing to do with it.

See: Budget Enforcement Procedures: The Senate Pay as you go (Paygo) rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM
 
Location: MS
4,280 posts, read 4,068,253 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I will consider it winning when the federal government is out of paying for medical care altogether. It's not in the Constitution so it falls to the states if they want healthcare programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 02:12 PM
 
26,306 posts, read 12,794,598 times
Reputation: 12540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I will consider it winning when the federal government is out of paying for medical care altogether. It's not in the Constitution so it falls to the states if they want healthcare programs.
Neither is social security.

Oh wait...there IS some general good provision.

Seriously, your argument has been argued over and over and failed over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 02:35 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, La. USA
5,923 posts, read 2,823,971 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How much did they cut from that for Obamacare again? Oh yeah. 700 billion.
"Obamacare doesn’t literally "rob" Medicare. But the Affordable Care Act does include provisions that reduce future increases in Medicare spending. In other words, the law slows down the rising costs of Medicare."

"It’s also important to note that the savings come at the expense of insurers and hospitals, not beneficiaries."

"Under President George W. Bush, private insurers began to run a subset of Medicare plans with the idea that more competition produced lower costs. However, those plans grew to cost more than traditional Medicare, so the Affordable Care Act pared down the payments to private insurers."
Obamacare 'robbed' Medicare of $700B, says Huckabee | PolitiFact

And "Obamacare cut $716 billion from (future Medicare spending) in order to fund $1.9 trillion in new health care spending, through the law’s expansion of Medicaid and its new subsidized exchanges."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#531955e7385f


But Donald Trumps $25 billion cut to Medicare will effect regular Americans next year (When the Obamacare Medicare cuts effect insurance companies in the future.)
https://qz.com/1131507/the-republica...from-medicare/

And Obamacare's cuts to Medicare were transferred to other healthcare programs (While Trumps cuts to Medicare are being transferred to billionaires via tax cuts.)
Trump Hands 80 Percent of Proposed Tax Cut to Top 1 Percent – Mother Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top