U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:51 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,308,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

It's hard for an atheist and a born-again Christian to form bonds of friendship, beyond mere cordiality and neighborly deference. Reasonable people can be polite, and get along. But they may still struggle to find the sort of consonance of values that's core to true friendship. On the matter of class and taste, two attorneys - one of whom listens to Rush Limbaugh, the other to Bill Moyers - can still golf together, and maybe their families will go on a cruise together. What about the attorney and a landscaper, or a night-watchman?

Disagreement about "politics" is often a heuristic for class-differences. Somebody who spent 5 years in graduate school is going to struggle to feel kinship in a community where most people didn't advance beyond high-school. We call this difference "political". But the more forthright distinction is one of class - something that's even more taboo in modern American society, than race or religion.
I think you bring up a good point. A lot of what helps people become successful in life has to do with their social class as much if not more so than wealth.

For example, I had a friend in college who's parents were IVY league academics and who actually spent part of his childhood below the poverty line. I knew someone else who's dad didn't go to college but who made good money. The kid with the IVY League parents got better internships and got into a much better grad school despite having slightly worse grades than the other guy who definitely worked harder and had better grades. His parents could write letters for him and gave him the guidance he needed. The other guy slugged it out in the library.

I want the best for both of them, but that was pretty unfair.

I will say this about class though, it seems to matter less in the west.

I had a friend growing up whos family had some money, earned by his father's successful business. I grew up pretty middle class, with struggles here and there like alot of folks. My friend's dad employed a guy who did handy work around his properties, he also had a son who was about our age. I think all of us were aware that there were different levels of wealth in our families, but we still hung out and shot and rode and played video games and did whatever together. I think there was always an expectation to treat each other like equals.

We might have all taken our different paths, the kid with money got his first rental property at 16, to pay back to his dad at no interest, and went to business school and has an MBA, I did undergrad and work a pretty middle class job, and our third friend did a couple tours before getting married and working on a ranch.

We probably all have less in common now that we are grown up but we are still friends.

I don't really hear about any of that happening with someone having their doorman's kid come hang out with their kid in the penthouse, or their Hispanic nanny bring over her kids to play with their kids in the Hamptons.

There is inequality everywhere, but I think some places are worse than others.

Growing up in the 90s my folks had some church friends who lived next door to Kathryn Albertson, the wife of the founder of the grocery store chain. We used to go sledding on the hill behind their house and she brought us out cookies and hot coco a few times. I mean this is a lady who was worth like 900 million at that time and was one of the 100 richest Americans but we just knew her as the nice lady who brought us cookies. It wasn't until she died in the early 2000s that I was aware she was the lady that the massive park and grocery stores were named after. LOL

Not saying we were pals or anything, but it's pretty cool

Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 PM

384 posts, read 262,013 times
No. It always existed. Why you think people move in or move out of the city and or suburbia? One guy I know who was pro Trump and hates everyone that do not look like him moved to small town Virginia! He'll soon realize his line of work is only thriving in boom towns with all kinds of people (why you think it's booming?). I've gotten my haircuts in a "racist" part of town and their barbershop isn't as prosperous as the ones considered a "Mexican" barber shop, where anyone can go there and get a haircut without getting into awkward policies.

People who move to the south coming from the north simply can't stand "diversity" and trying to get along with everyone and feels as if they're losing their "identity" when in all actually they should know that they never had such a thing nor a culture. It's their way of kissing their own asses (if they could) but obesity won't allow one to kiss one's own butt cheeks.

Putin, 2020!

Old 11-18-2017, 06:33 PM

2,573 posts, read 962,288 times
"The other guy slugged it out in the library." With better grades.

This one is by far the much better catch. Has more determination to succeed, and has better work habits. Who wants someone who's parents are writing his letters for him? You are correct, it's very unfair.

How did his parents raise themselves up from below poverty level writing their own letters, and not having Ivy League parents? Or have things changed that much?

Very good story, thanks.

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-18-2017 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 07:04 PM

1,032 posts, read 521,705 times
I have had Real Estate clients in S. Florida who won't buy a condo in a trump building even though he has nothing to do with it. I even had one from C.A who wouldn't live next door to Trump Hollywood or Trump Sunny Isles.

My dad moved to the Villages and its a very large concentration of republicans. A lot of his neighbors said it was a deciding factor vs other retirement communities in places like Boca Raton or Delray Beach.

Politics drives real estate just like good schools do, its just a way of life and has been for decades.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 AM

810 posts, read 616,958 times
It's funny when people leave somewhere for whatever reasons and then try to make their new home just like the place they left .

Old 11-19-2017, 04:59 AM

409 posts, read 206,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post

People who move to the south coming from the north simply can't stand "diversity" and trying to get along with everyone and feels as if they're losing their "identity" when in all actually they should know that they never had such a thing nor a culture. It's their way of kissing their own asses (if they could) but obesity won't allow one to kiss one's own butt cheeks.
lol
Reminds me of folks who move from the Pacific Northwest to AZ. In our business we chose to have Fox News on our TV in our lobby. We've actually had new residents from WA/OR refuse to do business with us because of it.

I couldn't even imagine abandoning a great company with an impeccable reputation just because they have CNN on in their waiting area. Not just crazy but intolerance on an epic level.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 AM

The western halves of Wa/Or are not as completely liberal as you might imagine. I've found it interesting to read that there is a huge difference between the big cities of Or/Wa, and the rural parts on the western sides of the two states. The rural parts tend to be more conservative which is a good thing for me contrasted to the large cities like Seattle, and Portland, etc being more staunchly liberal. I lived in Sequim, Wa for several years whose county, Clallam, leaned right according to the last Presidential campaign. But that is changing there because of it's popularity as a retirement mecca, and the great influx by folks from Seattle, California, and other places.

Also there is an bigger difference between eastern Or/Wa, and western Or/Wa. The eastern halves are the more conservative in general. People have even written in Op Eds that both those states should be divided between eastern, and western portions to form two more states which would make much more sense since what they consider important is so different. As it is now the decisions for the eastern farming, and ranching sides are being made by the folks in the liberal cities on the west sides which usually don't have a clue what the east sides need so they are at odds. I can understand their point although climate wise I like the wetter half too.

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-19-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
"The other guy slugged it out in the library." With better grades.

This one is by far the much better catch. Has more determination to succeed, and has better work habits. Who wants someone who's parents are writing his letters for him? You are correct, it's very unfair.

How did his parents raise themselves up from below poverty level writing their own letters, and not having Ivy League parents? Or have things changed that much?

Very good story, thanks.
No they were poor sort of as a result of his parent's choice to be academics and some bad financial luck. At least one side of the family has money, I know his grandparents paid for what his scholarships didn't cover for undergrad, but I don't really know/ want to get involved in their family dynamics.

It isn't that the guy with lesser grads had bad grades, his were above average, he just knew that working his social network was more important than taking an B+ in a class to an A-. He has one of the best looking resumes I've ever seen partly because he is a smart guy, but also because hes made all the right choices because he knew what they were. He was debate captain in highschool, interned with state senators in highschool, a major think tank in college and has gotten things published.

My other friend just worked hard. He could have done all the other stuff, but how was he supposed to know who to call or what the path would be? he was the first kid in his family to go to college. By the time he realized that internships were so important my other friend (who happened to be his roomate) had already had had several.

I guess what I'm saying it isn't just straight up what kind of money you have, it's largely who you know and how to play the game.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
lol
Reminds me of folks who move from the Pacific Northwest to AZ. In our business we chose to have Fox News on our TV in our lobby. We've actually had new residents from WA/OR refuse to do business with us because of it.

I couldn't even imagine abandoning a great company with an impeccable reputation just because they have CNN on in their waiting area. Not just crazy but intolerance on an epic level.
Thats crazy! I think people are confused by what tolerance actually means?

Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Tolerance means that everybody else has to be tolerant of them, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies