Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:08 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,543,792 times

Advertisements

Well, now that I reread it maybe it wasn't a hotel/motel, but whatever it was I still agree with them. It might be because I recently drove 3200 miles across country, and still have motels on the brain, lol. Sorry.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,817,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
A "rain tax"????? That is absurd. Why don't they just do something about the actual cause of the high nitrogen levels? Or does that make too much sense.
For the same reason that governments don't lower the global temperature. They are not incented to solve the problem; they are incented to raise tax revenue.

Anyone who has ever visited Las Vegas in the summer knows it is hot in the sun, but if you step into the shade, it helps quite a bit. So... how about space sunshades / parasols or a Fresnel lens at the L1 Lagrange Point? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_sunshade

Or perhaps stratospheric injection of sulfate aerosols? Mt. Pinatubo's 1991 eruption injected something like 22 million tons of sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere, which "dimmed the sun" by reflecting enough sunlight back into outer space to reduce global temperatures by about 1 degree F for 3 years or so. Some serious people think this is a good technique to lower the temperature of the planet.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM

811 posts, read 618,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
First of all, I have no idea what type business you were referring to. I assumed it was some type of service where people waited in the lobby until they were seen, until their car was serviced, etc. Meaning that they had no other options but to watch what was played on the lobby tv.

Second, why are you so intolerant? No one said you couldn't play Fox, just that people had every bit as much right to choose to patronize a business that doesn't. Why is it that respect is supposed to only go one way? Respect the right of people to make a different choice and you might get respect. Disrespect others and it gets returned back to you.
It is automotive service and our waiting area is large enough with different seating areas to give people a choice to watch and/or listen to TV or not. It's not "forced" on them.

I believe your attitude is exactly what the OP finds odd; that some people let the political views of others bother them to the point where they will overlook a prime place to live or in this case, refuse to use the exceptional services of a business.

Is it just me or do Liberals seem to be preoccupied with this mindset vs Conservatives who simply go about their lives without giving it much thought? Very general question of course that's probably impossible to answer without a proper survey.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Is it just me or do Liberals seem to be preoccupied with this mindset vs Conservatives who simply go about their lives without giving it much thought?
Yes, you are correct, this is it exactly. They brow beat, and try to force others with different view points to give in to their views. This is not tolerance. This is coercion. "The practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats."

Merriam-Webster's definition of Tolerance:

2 a :sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tolerance

Old 11-19-2017, 09:35 PM

3,746 posts, read 5,824,364 times
I live in a city that will vote any DEM candidate in even though we are a RED state. After retirement, I wanted to move to another RED state and a RED city but wife doesn't want to leave her friends here. The city is not "diverse" , 82 % Hispanic and now that family is gone, I felt it was a good idea to move just for the chance to not deal with a lot of the welfare mentality. Also, the change of scenery and new opportunities would be a great experience.

While I did do undergrad in Los Angles area, I have no desire to move there or really any other BLUE state. I don't like high taxes or high regulations. I am offended by the statement that moving to a RED state means you are uneducated. I have 3 degrees and I saw first hand what liberalism is and what it does to people. I also see nothing wrong with preferring to be around people with similar views. That is what freedom is all about.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:57 AM

10,859 posts, read 7,274,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I've never actually seen or heard of a place where you're ostracized or ridiculed for politics or religion .
So you've never been to Texas?
Or if you have, you're a conservative Christian.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:18 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,888,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
For the same reason that governments don't lower the global temperature. They are not incented to solve the problem; they are incented to raise tax revenue.
Governments can't even deliver the mail correctly - you think they can lower the global temperature?

Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Governments can't even deliver the mail correctly - you think they can lower the global temperature?
Rofl, yeah I see those ideas of deflecting/filtering the sunlight backfiring in a most disastrous way like inhibiting the growth of plants so starvation on a massive scale results. Similar to the year without a summer mostly caused by a mammoth volcanic eruption that lowered temps just enough to mess things up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

In addition most things that mankind makes fail sooner, or later. Just what we need is more space junk floating around out there for eons. Or falling back onto the earth. No thanks, not interested.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 AM

420 posts, read 463,054 times
Sounds like a familiar story.

I was at an oil changing shop and Fox News was on, but when "diversity" came inside the shop, the employees of the shop pretended to quietly change the channel to another that actually gave REAL FACTS! LOL. Watching Fox News is like watching a serious version of SNL or Mad TV, but it's not. The shop employees appeared embarrassed but behind closed doors it's their go-to channel. It's like having Playboy TV on in what is supposed to be a professional and welcoming business environment, something Fox News ISN'T.

Places where people SHOP has no place to have politics involved! It all depends on who's really managing the shop to begin with!

Quote:
lol
Reminds me of folks who move from the Pacific Northwest to AZ. In our business we chose to have Fox News on our TV in our lobby. We've actually had new residents from WA/OR refuse to do business with us because of it.

I couldn't even imagine abandoning a great company with an impeccable reputation just because they have CNN on in their waiting area. Not just crazy but intolerance on an epic level.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM

13,593 posts, read 9,632,557 times
Quote:
I believe your attitude is exactly what the OP finds odd; that some people let the political views of others bother them to the point where they will overlook a prime place to live or in this case, refuse to use the exceptional services of a business.

Is it just me or do Liberals seem to be preoccupied with this mindset vs Conservatives who simply go about their lives without giving it much thought? Very general question of course that's probably impossible to answer without a proper survey.
Why do we assume that conservatives, however miffed by liberal posturing and excess, hold their tongues and successfully separate business from politics, while liberals, when in analogous position, wear their politics on their sleeve, and allow emotional reaction to perceived political effrontery to cloud their judgment?

Let me give an analogy. Suppose that there’s a landscaping or plumbing business, with a symbol of a fish proudly displayed on the rear door of the work-van, with the text, “John 3:16”. We can probably agree, that it would be silly for a potential customer to dismiss the workman arriving in such a van, upon seeing such a sign. Now suppose that instead the sign on the rear door of the van were a hammer and sickle. Our hypothetical customer gets offended, and dismisses the workman. Well, in this particular case, do we again chuckle at the customer’s narrow-mindedness, or do we suddenly agree with him, as having done the right (no pun intended) thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies