U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:30 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,743,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
If you are saying personal appearance shouldn't matter, why bother to include a description of the woman then in your original story? *shrug* Why not just say the story about A woman and how she creeped you out?
It doesn't matter to a point, and I am honest about that. She was really unattractive to me, and her behavior made her a thousand times worse.

Isn't that what women say all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,515,697 times
When I was in the military I experienced sexual harassment from men AND one woman.

The men’s harassment wasn’t too problematic-most accepted a no or something similar. A couple of higher ranking ones got the “I’m going to let this one go. Next time I’ll call your wife and I’ll tell her that you seduced me”. The one with the most stripes loses.

The woman however was a PITA. She showed up at my house uninvited. Looked at me inappropriately, etc. I made it clear I was straight AND married. She wouldn’t stop. I told her boss to counsel her-he busted out laughing. I didn’t want to hurt her career because she was a good, hardworking troop. Finally, she got orders.

I never initiated a formal complaint because at the time, that was certain professional death. Talk about being a pariah.

That was back in the 80’s. I hope things get better for everybody. There are people out there who have no sense or boundaries.

FWIW, if someone touches inappropriately, save the clothing in a plastic bag. You never know when those epithelial cells will come in handy.

Last edited by EDnurse; 11-17-2017 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,359,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
It doesn't matter to a point, and I am honest about that. She was really unattractive to me, and her behavior made her a thousand times worse.

Isn't that what women say all the time?
No, it isn't. Creepy behavior is egregious. I deal with a lot of such comportment every day. Let me ask you a question: why do you feel so aggrieved?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,628,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
When I was in the military I experienced sexual harassment from men AND one woman.

The menís harassment wasnít too problematic-most accepted a no or something similar. A couple of higher ranking ones got the ďIím going to let this one go. Next time Iíll call your wife and Iíll tell her that you seduced meĒ. The one with the most stripes loses.

The woman however was a PITA. She showed up at my house uninvited. Looked at me inappropriately, etc. I made it clear I was straight AND married. She wouldnít stop. I told her boss to counsel her-he busted out laughing. I didnít want to hurt her career because she was a good, hardworking troop. Finally, she got orders.

I never initiated a formal complaint because at the time, that was certain professional death. Talk about being a pariah.

That was back in the 80ís. I hope things get better for everybody. There are people out there who have no sense or boundaries.

FWIW, if someone touches inappropriately, save the clothing in a plastic bag. You never know when those epithelial cells will come in handy.

mmm. The last groping incident I dealt with was a woman (at least underneath the faÁade it had on) who got quite more than out of line in a grocery store with my lady. There was a lead up to the forceful grab as well. End of the story she left in handcuffs for assault. One of the store workers saw what happened thankfully otherwise I might have left in cuffs too.

I've known plenty of men who thought their positions in the workplace gave them a pass as well. What they did could only be called preying on women and it disgusted and enraged me. I lost my job in the end because I wouldn't keep my mouth shut. One of the women even begged me to stop because she didn't want me to lose my job because of what happened to her.

It was wrenching. Though women submitted to this creep it was under severe duress and can only be called rape. Yea, I lost my job after 20 years with this outfit. But not long after the creep took "early retirement." Not justice, but it's a small world. Well meet again someday.

Indeed there are a lot of people out here that don't know what boundaries are. Sense doesn't even figure in. Just some ugly, lecherous instinct. Women making forceful come ons toward men is rare, and like I said earlier men don't go into fight or flight with this in most of these cases. VERY hard for a man to see any charges filed against a woman. Then there's cases like yours and the one that happened to us where another woman is the aggressor.

Unless it's very blatant, forceful and in public like ours was tough to see any action with that as well. There is a double standard. No doubt. This is a quite insane world we live in. For me it seems the more I try to avoid the insanity the more it seems to come hunting.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 PM

30,443 posts, read 20,094,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm going to tell you something I tell a lot of other guys who haven't quite gotten around to accepting the world for what it is yet: life is full of hypocrisy and double standards and this one of the biggies. It's part of your curse of being male. You get to suffer injustice at the hands of women unless you're happy and content being an evolutionary dead end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Gee wheeze.

It appears somebody did a number on you.

And right on time we get unrequested judgement from a female.

"Something wrong with you!"

Both VictorianPunk and UrbanAdventurer are making insightful comments about a reality that you, as a female, will never have to confront.

Anything that is as spontaneous, self-energizing, thoughtless and free-flowing as the current sexual harassment mass hysteria points to something very old and very generic in our species.

I say it's time we confront it.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,743,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
No, it isn't. Creepy behavior is egregious. I deal with a lot of such comportment every day. Let me ask you a question: why do you feel so aggrieved?
So complaining about ugly men being creepy and behaving creepily isn't something women talk about all the time?

And I feel "aggrieved" because people just giggled at something that really made me feel uncomfortable. A woman twice my age rubbing up on me in public while I was obviously not interested...flip the genders and then tell me how the victim would feel.

And here we have women defending her, saying "her pushing against you and complimenting you and trying to force eye contact while you were on the phone is just her making friendly chit-chat" Yeah.

If the genders were reversed, you know good and well nobody would laugh at a woman being creeped out by a nasty, older man, nor should they.

Why is asking for equality such a controversial thing all of a sudden?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So complaining about ugly men being creepy and behaving creepily isn't something women talk about all the time?

And I feel "aggrieved" because people just giggled at something that really made me feel uncomfortable. A woman twice my age rubbing up on me in public while I was obviously not interested...flip the genders and then tell me how the victim would feel.

And here we have women defending her, saying "her pushing against you and complimenting you and trying to force eye contact while you were on the phone is just her making friendly chit-chat" Yeah.

If the genders were reversed, you know good and well nobody would laugh at a woman being creeped out by a nasty, older man, nor should they.

Why is asking for equality such a controversial thing all of a sudden?
Victoriapunk, I am sorry that you felt "creeped out." I did not defend the behavior you described in your original posting, though you must admit that you moved the goalposts.

There are numerous inconsistencies in your own thinking. Why do you assume that I somehow stand for "women?" And again, why do you feel so aggrieved? I'm merely curious. You seem very angry, which is cool; you are entitled to your feelings. One should not make blanket generalizations.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 PM

24,765 posts, read 9,647,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Maybe you should have told her a few dead baby jokes
LOL.

If he finds a chick that responds well to them I suppose that would be his soul mate.

OP...

You were the subject of flirting that, based on the person, could be construed as harmless to aggressive.

It's how people find mates.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 PM

Oh, and by the way, I am not a "female." I am a woman. The former (female) is an adjective, and the latter, (woman), a noun. That distinction is not merely a matter of semantics. It is a matter of classifying the world into objects and nouns. Linguistics and thus cognitive science is revelatory.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:51 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,137,037 times
So, had it me been me, a woman, in the line with you, these would have been my thoughts. The wheat grass would have totally put me off. And the microwave pizza would have made me think you were pretty strange - maybe a hypocrite who is all self righteous about eating healthy but then gets a microwave pizza when no one is looking. I probably would have had to hide a giggle. Are you offended? Do you see what I did with the stereotyping and jumping to conclusions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or