U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:53 AM

12,773 posts, read 4,614,288 times

Advertisements

Senator Brown is one of the few good guys in the Senate. Hatch is just another puppet of the ruling donor class. Of course he doesnt like getting called out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM

4,700 posts, read 4,343,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I've never seen Hatch so angry! He made some good points in
this testy exchange.
Yeah, I liked the part where he called his forty years in the senate his "stinking" career. Truer words never spoken.

Other than that, his diatribe was all about a brat in his second childhood throwing a temper tantrum in order to get his own way. Orrin Hatch is many things but a spokesman for the poor? Not hardly. I like the way everyone gives him a pass on this without checking out his bio. His family may have been poor when he was a child in the Great Depression (who wasn't poor back then?), but since then Mr. Hatch has managed to feather his nest quite nicely.

I live 20 miles away from Hatch's constituents on the other side of the Utah line, and Hatch would collapse like the phony house of cards he is if he had to actually make a living on a hardscrabble farm or ranch out here.

He doesn't have the faintest idea and people need to stop buying into his lies that he does.

Quote:
How did the Clintons leave the White House broke but are now worth hundreds of millions of dollars?
Quote:
I'm surprised that Hatch is only worth $5M after forty years. A lot of ordinary people who invest wisely are worth that and more when you add in their home. I'm sure Pelosi and Schumer and others who have served less time on The Hill are worth far more. Don't get me started on the Clinton Crime Syndicate.

By the way, Democrat Sen. from Vermont, Patrick Leahy has served two years longer than Hatch.
These "what about" arguments were old before people even started making them. If you want to discuss the Clinton's' misdeeds, start another thread about them. Same goes for Leahy or anyone else.

"What about" - isms have as much validity as an argument as "But Mom! All the other kid's parents let THEM do it."

Blatant hypocrisy is a turn-off, no matter who is trying to get away with it. Yep, much corruption and hypocrisy from BOTH the Clintons. No argument there.

But let's take on one corrupt politician at a time, shall we?

Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM

62,745 posts, read 34,208,449 times
Quote:
Sen. Hatch says "Stop the bull crap!"
Someone must have hit too close to the truth for someone to lose it like that.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:41 PM

18,065 posts, read 8,149,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Someone must have hit too close to the truth for someone to lose it like that.
Yeah, when I look at the facial expressions, it seems to me that Brown is kinda having a good time while Hatch isn't.

We don't know what the relationship between the two men is, but I get the feeling that at least some of this public exchange is a continuation of a private one where Hatch couldn't adequately respond.

Hatch is undoubtedly under tremendous pressure to get a bill out of committee, whatever his own private thoughts are. Hatch is a pretty smart guy, he must know that overall this bill will not be good for middle and lower income people.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 PM

3,445 posts, read 942,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Only a crook would go from nothing to 5 million in 40 years. He must have gotten a bonus from someone he helped.... you can’t convince me that an honest person can save 5 million in 40 years. Not possible unless someone is not playing by the rules....
Isn’t that supposed to be the American Dream? Pull yerself up by your bootstraps, etc.

I do actually think it is possible to do this without being a crook, mind you. One could invent something and/or start a business, have invested in stocks, bought real estate, etc. without having to run/do whatever in a crooked way.

Don’t know how Hatch made his money.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM

3,445 posts, read 942,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
According to recent reports, these are Hatch's last days in the Senate. He is not expected to run again in 2018 with speculation that Mitt Romney will seek the seat. The soon to be 84 year old Hatch, after 28 years in the senate will be heading off to the retirement home.
I’d be cool with Mitt or Evan McMullin.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:59 AM

9,068 posts, read 2,964,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Wont impact me in the least. Most of us understand that Social Security is a bust. Some of us planned for it.
The democrats are no better. If they were they would have passed Universal care instead of the unaffordable care act.

You can't be serious! All through Obama's presidency, the Republicans sabotaged every effort that he made to establish a good, national healthcare plan. It would have been a universal, single-payer program, like most other developed nations have. But republicans vowed from the beginning, that nothing like that would ever be passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or