Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:01 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,176,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Because government is given the power to do such nonsense.

What if anything is it you believe the government does that isn't nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,512,553 times
Quote:
I see, you live in some shoe box wedged in a box with other shoe boxes and want what works for you to be FORCED on a couple hundred million that don't live like you.

Sorry, but most people don't want rail to replace cars.

It's like me saying most people want deep canals behind their homes just because I want the canal behind my house to be deeper.

If everyone wanted to live in a dense urban area, they would. Most don't.
Actually, prior to the automobile, suburbs weren't a thing, and people who lived in cities lived in those dense urban areas, and also rural America is hollowing out. Over 80% of Americans now live in cities or suburbs. And more Americans are leaving the suburbs for the inner city every year (I left the suburbs for the city four years ago and haven't looked back)

Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually, prior to the automobile, suburbs weren't a thing, and people who lived in cities lived in those dense urban areas, and also rural America is hollowing out. Over 70% of Americans now live in cities or suburbs. And more Americans are leaving the suburbs for the inner city every year (I left the suburbs for the city four years ago and haven't looked back)
In the LA area, what percentage is moving downtown proper?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,498,759 times
Quote:
Are those driverless cars going to be able to go 200mph in rural areas, like the high speed rail?

Hint:no
They will drastically cut down on traffic jams though, once self drive is mandatory, no more need for traffic lights at intersections or stop signs, less fuel being used and wasted too.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:09 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,916,137 times
They're talking about a maglev train up the Eastern corridor between NYC/Philly/Baltimore/DC and it'd cost insane amount of money, but what's surprising is that that while the name 'maglev' is fancy on paper, it really isn't needed. Surprisingly, region rail trains in the US *are supposed* to have top speeds already of 90+ MPH and Amtrak trains can reach speeds already of 150-220 MPH. The problem is that we don't spend money on the rails, so the trains never actually reach those speeds. The rails could be upgraded for a fraction of the cost of a fancy maglev train that might only save you 10 minutes and cost $50 more per ticket.

A modern improved railway system is direly needed in the US. We can not keep continuing to encourage the use of cars through very dense areas like the Eastern corridor that have highways built in the 50s while congestion and traffic jams keep getting worse. 3 weeks ago I had to take my wife to Dulles International. The drive is only 43 miles. It took 5 hours and 47 minutes to go there and back.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,498,759 times
Quote:
If people want HSR, someone can build it, so what's the problem?
No, not really, even if someone had the money to build and fund its operation, the potential threat to other industries would be justification for Govt to step in and shut it down.

I just read yesterday about a man who devised some way for an internal combustion engine to run on pure water, turns out, he was found dead of a suicide not long after..Gee, I wonder why that happened? LOL

Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,176,344 times
Quote:
In the LA area, what percentage is moving downtown proper?

What would make LA a good example of a 'typical' American city?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:16 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,116,001 times
Quote:
I live within walking distance (ranging from 100 ft to 1 mile) of every necessity I need. That's the advantage of living Downtown vs the suburbs like you guys. I view car necessity as a prison of its own

Well isn't that special! I guess rural and country folk should all pack up and move into town where they can be just like you.

No thanks, I prefer the herd of deer that live on my land as company rather than citified folk.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:17 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No, not really, even if someone had the money to build and fund its operation, the potential threat to other industries would be justification for Govt to step in and shut it down.

I just read yesterday about a man who devised some way for an internal combustion engine to run on pure water, turns out, he was found dead of a suicide not long after..Gee, I wonder why that happened? LOL
I'm so happy you brought up the water engine. It illustrates the goofy conspiracy theories people believe.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:17 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,924,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Well isn't that special! I guess rural and country folk should all pack up and move into town where they can be just like you.

No thanks, I prefer the herd of deer that live on my land as company rather than citified folk.
Relax no one is telling you to move to the big scary city. Just remove all the subsidies cars and sprawl get and let market forces sort it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies