U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:49 AM

29,518 posts, read 16,437,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sixteen years in Afghanistan certainly proves that.
Exactly! And also the 80 year war on drugs and the 40 year war on poverty, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Nothing is too expensive when it ain't your money.

~ common statist proverb
And that's what makes it work quite well in China.

29,189 posts, read 15,340,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Suppression of new or better technology to keep certain industries afloat has been going on for a very long time in the US, Since about 1951 with the Invention Secrecy Act.

The sad thing is, if we stay in this mentality, we will never progress much further than we are right now.
How are you being prevented from raising the money and building it?

4,331 posts, read 1,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, Obama did subsidize a lot of cars.

I disagreed with him on that, but liberals and unions supported him in that decision.

Did you oppose his actions?

As far as payments go, how is it that I don't have a payment on my vehicle?
I am not talking about the bailouts but I opposed them since I am not a center right politician like Obama. Cars are subsidized because the auto companies have lots of clout and cities are designed around them. Don't fool yourself that they are more cost effective or that more people want them they are just what is a available kind of like how junk food is cheaper because that to is subsidized.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Cars are heavily subsidized as are building practices sprawl that encourage them. Cars are not freedom if you are chained to car payment constant maintenance long commutes.
Not me. I have no car payments; haven't done that for over 30 years. And no commute. Maintenance is a trivial activity.

Cars represent freedom today just like horses did 200 years ago.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM

30,194 posts, read 16,584,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
One can only imagine the cronyism that would take place to construct a rail system with politicians and their pals buying up parcels land in the proposed rights of way and then reselling them to taxpayers at criminally inflated prices.
That's one thing that's always left out of discussions like this: Whose land are they going to take to build this system? And for anyone who resists? They'll get a court order and take it anyway.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:55 AM

29,189 posts, read 15,340,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I am not talking about the bailouts but I opposed them since I am not a center right politician like Obama. Cars are subsidized because the auto companies have lots of clout and cities are designed around them. Don't fool yourself that they are more cost effective or that more people want them they are just what is a available kind of like how junk food is cheaper because that to is subsidized.
You think more people would rather have a high speed train instead of a car?

Question. If I want to go to the store to get a bunch of groceries, would I simply use an app to summon the train to my front door and take me to the store where it waits patiently for me or do I have to call the train operator from my phone?

Old 11-18-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Suppression of new or better technology to keep certain industries afloat has been going on for a very long time in the US, Since about 1951 with the Invention Secrecy Act.

The sad thing is, if we stay in this mentality, we will never progress much further than we are right now.
Actually, quite the opposite. Private industry is inventing and improving things at a pace faster than any time in the history of the world.

And private industry is quite capable of bringing us the next transportation breakthrough (driverless vehicles) when the cost/benefit equation is positive.

There is absolutely no need for governments to interfere with technological progress.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 AM

5,206 posts, read 3,739,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
One high speed rail line carries as many people as a 12 lane highway for starters.
Don't want to be that close to that many people. The thought of it makes my skin crawl.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You think more people would rather have a high speed train instead of a car?

Question. If I want to go to the store to get a bunch of groceries, would I simply use an app to summon the train to my front door and take me to the store where it waits patiently for me or do I have to call the train operator from my phone?
Yes! Yesterday it was "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage". Now it's "a train in every driveway and trains that take me anywhere".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or