U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You think more people would rather have a high speed train instead of a car?

Question. If I want to go to the store to get a bunch of groceries, would I simply use an app to summon the train to my front door and take me to the store where it waits patiently for me or do I have to call the train operator from my phone?
Generally you would walk GASP to a grocer and get a few things no need for a train. Also yes I do think most people would prefer cities with mass transit cars are a pain in the neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Don't want to be that close to that many people. The thought of it makes my skin crawl.
You would not survive in Japan. They have rail workers that push people into the cars like sardines. They do, however, wear white gloves while pushing.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM

29,502 posts, read 15,463,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Generally you would walk GASP to a grocer and get a few things no need for a train. Also yes I do think most people would prefer cities with mass transit cars are a pain in the neck.
I would walk 5 miles to get my groceries?

Oh, I didn't realize how practical rail was. Sign me up.

Can you also find me a solution to having water pipes directly to my house? I'd prefer a method where I had to walk a great distance carrying a bucket.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:02 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,496,198 times
Quote:
Generally you would walk GASP to a grocer and get a few things no need for a train.
Wow! and become a third world country where people spend a huge part of their day getting food and water.

My nearest grocery store is about four miles. Not exactly my idea for a daily walk to get food.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM

30,282 posts, read 16,643,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Thank you... appreciate someone seeing the absurdity of not building High Speed Rails in the US. Its pure insane, we need a whole new set of politicians. If we get rid of the Republican always chasing Tax Cuts, we could have one, as well as Health Care Nationalized and many other things. I hope at some point American awakens and abolish the Republican Mentality in this country. It has been a killer of many sorts to everything that can move America forward as a nation and on the comparable levels of tech advancements with the rest of the world.
These Republican Whine about anything and everything, and then cut their own throats just so Republican Can give the wealthy ANOTHER Tax Cut and Credit. It's the most absurd thing ever!!!!
That's always the way with Democrats, isn't it? Tax the hell out of people to build these unprofitable projects just because some other country has them.

What is to gain by building high speed railroads? Who will benefit? How many people are going to trade fast air travel (six hours or less from L.A. to N.Y.C.) for "slow" (in comparison) rail service that is less safe, and less convenient? They'll have to take passengers from the airlines (you don't think that suddenly there will be more passengers materializing out of nowhere, do you?), and that will hurt the airline industry. But why would anyone want to travel by rail? Oh, the scenery, I suppose. Well, that's nice if you have the time and don't care how long it takes to get to your destination.

I watched a video of the train (I forget what it's called) from L.A. to San Diego. There was nothing to see except from San Clamente south, but even then, a lot of it was not very scenic.

But that's beside the point. No matter how fast it is, it will be too slow compared to air travel, and less comfortable too.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM

5,242 posts, read 3,758,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You would not survive in Japan. They have rail workers that push people into the cars like sardines. They do, however, wear white gloves while pushing.
I know. I've seen those videos and that wouldn't work for me. Not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ

Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 3,758,706 times
Quote:
Until a month ago I lived 30 miles from the nearest grocery store.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 AM

29,502 posts, read 15,463,692 times
Quote:
I know. I've seen those videos and that wouldn't work for me. Not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ
That's why we were just told to walk to buy eggs.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I would walk 5 miles to get my groceries?
Most people in urban areas walk only a block or two this is why sprawl is bad it makes you dependent on a vehicle. Its also a major contributor to the obesity epidemic. I get it though without your car your not a real american so I propose simply remove all the pro car subsidies and let market forces sort it out.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Until a month ago I lived 30 miles from the nearest grocery store.
Great most people live in cities not rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or