U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 08:51 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,881,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, Obama did subsidize a lot of cars.

I disagreed with him on that, but liberals and unions supported him in that decision.

Did you oppose his actions?

As far as payments go, how is it that I don't have a payment on my vehicle?
We're not talking about "Cash for clunkers". We are talking about the fact that people are driving on generally toll free roads, only funding with a fuel tax, that due to vast improvement in fuel economy and inflation, falls short of the cost of maintenance and construction now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 AM

58,188 posts, read 41,009,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The US as a nation can no longer do large projects that take sustained effort.

Funny we don't seem to have any problem doing so when the project is war and building other nations.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, quite the opposite. Private industry is inventing and improving things at a pace faster than any time in the history of the world.

And private industry is quite capable of bringing us the next transportation breakthrough (driverless vehicles) when the cost/benefit equation is positive.

There is absolutely no need for governments to interfere with technological progress.
Are those driverless cars going to be able to go 200mph in rural areas, like the high speed rail?

Hint:no

Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We're not talking about "Cash for clunkers". We are talking about the fact that people are driving on generally toll free roads, only funding with a fuel tax, that due to vast improvement in fuel economy and inflation, falls short of the cost of maintenance and construction now
Most people don't realize driving the US is heavily subsidized.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:55 AM

29,502 posts, read 15,463,692 times
Quote:
I'm constantly saying we need to raise fuel taxes and add tolls so the people who use roads pay for them.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wow! and become a third world country where people spend a huge part of their day getting food and water.

My nearest grocery store is about four miles. Not exactly my idea for a daily walk to get food.
I live within walking distance (ranging from 100 ft to 1 mile) of every necessity I need. That's the advantage of living Downtown vs the suburbs like you guys. I view car necessity as a prison of its own

Old 11-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Most people don't realize driving the US is heavily subsidized.
Because government is given the power to do such nonsense.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 AM

8,667 posts, read 2,485,809 times
America lost much when we allowed our rail system to decline. Just the volume of fuel required to move tonnage my truck versus rail. The cost of wear and tear on our highways.
Flying is a great option if you are near a major airport. The hub airports? Not so much. I have used high speed trains in Europe and Asia and I prefer that to flying. It's also less expensive. It would also reduce the need for so many to drive into major cities. This would reduce the traffic issues as well as the accidents that happen daily in the congested traffic jams.
700 billion on our defense budget. A trillion spent on the F-35 dud.
I would say a high speed rail system would have been a much better investment than the F-35.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I live within walking distance (ranging from 100 ft to 1 mile) of every necessity I need. That's the advantage of living Downtown vs the suburbs like you guys. I view car necessity as a prison of its own
As soon as I can afford to live in a place downtown where I can walk out my back door past my pool and hop in a boat to go wakesurfing, I'll join you.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:59 AM

5,227 posts, read 2,317,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That's always the way with Democrats, isn't it? Tax the hell out of people to build these unprofitable projects just because some other country has them.

What is to gain by building high speed railroads? Who will benefit? How many people are going to trade fast air travel (six hours or less from L.A. to N.Y.C.) for "slow" (in comparison) rail service that is less safe, and less convenient? They'll have to take passengers from the airlines (you don't think that suddenly there will be more passengers materializing out of nowhere, do you?), and that will hurt the airline industry. But why would anyone want to travel by rail? Oh, the scenery, I suppose. Well, that's nice if you have the time and don't care how long it takes to get to your destination.

I watched a video of the train (I forget what it's called) from L.A. to San Diego. There was nothing to see except from San Clamente south, but even then, a lot of it was not very scenic.

But that's beside the point. No matter how fast it is, it will be too slow compared to air travel, and less comfortable too.
You only prove my point.... !!!!! Other people have broader idea, motivation and interest and they are not seeking "DEFEATISM" as is the standard Republican Mentality.
Thank you for AGAIN proving my point. It appears each time you post, you prove not only my points but the points of many many many others. Nobody said anything about scenic being a base factor, its about "system" that are advance... but I guess that completely went over your concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or