Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am amazed every time I go to NYC. Amazed by how many homes have bars on their windows. Some of the bars are stylish. They all look like a prison to me. I couldn't and wouldn't live anywhere where I felt so threatened to need bars on the windows and multiple deadbolts on my doors.
Rural life for me. I do want high speed trains and I do enjoy visiting cities.
I agree with you on the pure convenience of city life. The sheer variety is amazing. In the town closest to me there are 2 gas stations and a restaurant. The next town has more, but its the same.

NYC is one of the safest major cities in the U.S, Also if everyone lived in the city, then their would be city parts that had the crime rate of suburbs, (NYC already has this TBH). I generally prefer denser cities as it encourages healthier living, and more aesthetically pleasing but their needs to be a balance.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 12-31-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If the people wanted high speed rail the cost wouldn't be insurmountable.

But they don't......

We're too married to our cars and the freedom and independence they bring to care about high speed rail.
Not true regionally. We spent the money on the Military Security Machine, the Medical (double the price) deal and other overpriced stuff.

At the very minimum, a 1400 mile HSR straight down the east coast would be heavily traveled. So would one from NYC/Phila/Bos to Chicago via Pittsburgh. You can't get to Pittsburgh from the east coast without spending an entire day or more.

I'm sure eventually a real HSR from Vancouver to San Diego would be well attended.

Believe me, driving in traffic...or even driving over about 3 hours....is not "fun" or "independent". It is horrible.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Don't forget that the Chinese were instrumental in building our rail infrastructure in the 19th century, for the same reason.
Irish and Civil War Vets built the 1/2 from east to west......

Chinese labor is no longer cheap. What they have is:

1. The Will to do things - big things - meaning they look to the future.
2. A government that has the power to make decisions and carry them out - not like ours (ACA, etc.) that takes 2 steps ahead and then 3 steps back.
3. The engineering to do the job right and with a minimum of labor. Believe me, they aren't using picks and shovels these days.
4. Basic agreement among the population that they want these things.

We have NONE of these advantages, which is probably who their version of a "benevolent dictator" type of government is going to smoke our corrupt plutocracy.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:44 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The reason we have AMTRAK is because the railroads were losing their collective shirts running passenger trains. They wanted out and they got out. We don't need another government run boondoggle.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Bet it’s a lot cheaper than our current military costs.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:24 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
If you want high speed rail, go for it but with private funds. Good luck getting the right of way to lay rails.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If you want high speed rail, go for it but with private funds. Good luck getting the right of way to lay rails.
And yet, I'm told all the time that private funds for interstates and associated bridges would be no problem.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I've always seen high speed rail service as an un-needed redundancy to airplanes.
Exactly. Years ago, PSA was a "commuter airline" in California. It was far better than any high speed rail system.

There is no advantage to rail. You still have to get to the station, or from the station to your intended destination. And with rail, your still talking about short distances. I doubt there will ever be a need for high speed rail from San Diego to San Francisco, for example. Air travel is much faster.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:23 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There isn`t a high speed rail system on the planet that was built with private funds.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
China built 22,000 km (14,000 miles) of high speed rail in about 8 years, accounting for 65% of the world total, vastly transforming the rail transportation in the country. The US so far has built none, and one argument is that it is too expensive.

Admittedly it is much cheaper to build HSR in China than in the US. For China's case, it cost about $340 billion.

According to the world bank, it is 1/3 cheaper to build HSR in China than in developed countries. Let's say US cost is even higher and is three times as much. To build the same network it would cost US taxpayers $1 trillion.

Cost of High Speed Rail in China One Third Lower than in Other Countries

Sounds expensive? Not really. During the same time China was building HSR, the US spent $2.4 trillion in the Afghanistan and Iraq war alone, enough to build the Chinese network 2.5 times.

Yet people still think it is too expensive to build high speed rail in the US, even in the densely populated coastal areas.

It is just unbelievable that there is not an outcry over such wasteful taxpayers money on foreign wars while not investing in the outdated infrastructure. For those who think "we have cars and planes, and we don't need the damn high speed rail", come on. That's just provincial because you have never taken a high speed rail.
If YOU want it, write a check to the fed to pay for it and get some more who think like you to do the same.

DON'T ask me for money.

Keep in mind PRIVATE money built our existing railroad system.

No reason why it cant be done today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies