Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 08:56 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,332,308 times

Advertisements

Even if it negatively impacts the US economy? Really? I thought he encouraged the most talented immigrants to come here? Indeed the best and brightest from around the world have immigrated here and have helped the US establish and build it's lead as the innovation leader of the world.

But moronic policies like this dont help the US at all:
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...nto-a-lobotomy

San Jose is the wealthiest and most highly educated metropolitan area in the US, it also gas the 2nd highest percentage of foreign born persons, 39%(only Miami is higher) The San Jose Metro has no racial majority, has low crime, some of the top public school districts in the nation, and a very high standard of living.

Silicon Valley is the ultimate immigration success story. So why mess with that? It makes no sense.

Unless you see this:
And once, he made clear that he is not particularly enthusiastic even about immigrants who are peaceful, successful, and economically productive.

Steve Bannon thought there were too many Asian CEOs in Silicon Valley, based on an apparently made-up statistic

In November 2015, Steve Bannon interviewed Donald Trump for a Breitbart radio program. One particular part of their exchange was resurfaced and made the rounds late last year, but deserves more attention in the wake of this executive order.

The exchange (which begins around the 17 minute mark here) starts with Trump riffing about how top foreign-born Ivy league graduates should be allowed to stay in America where they can be “job creators.” But then Bannon spoke up to disagree, and he did so in a very revealing way:

TRUMP: We have to keep our talented people in this country.

BANNON: Um—

TRUMP: I think you agree with that. Do you agree with that?

BANNON: Well I got a tougher — you know, when two thirds or three quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think — on, my point is, a country’s more like, [inaudible], a country’s more than an economy. We’re a civic society.

https://www.vox.com/2017/1/29/144299...r-steve-bannon

This is one instance where I dont think Trump himself cares who's rich so long as it doesnt hurt his wealth-Bannon on the other hand seems to want to have his cake and eat it too. He doesnt mind that we're here and productive and our talents be exploited, but he wants us always beneath Whites.

Does that sound like a fair assessment?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:59 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,318,711 times
I think he just doesn't care. Trump isn't much of a thinker, on policy, other than himself and his family.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,487,716 times
H-1B visas are generally outsourcing brought to our shores. Ask all the IT people who get canned and then have to train their foreign replacements on these visas. Letting their spouses (with who knows what education and skills, if any) makes even less sense. Whole thing's a farce by employers to get cheaper workers and screw over Americans. Its not the availability of workers domestically, its the unwillingness to pay them what they're worth. Same old corporate story that's been going on for decades.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:39 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,438,138 times
We had a company open up here a while back. We had tons of "the best and the brightest" waiting in line for the jobs. The company went H1b instead and now it's mostly people from India working there.

I have no problem with H1b when a company can't find a citizen with the necessary skills. It's the instead of citizens that I question.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
We had a company open up here a while back. We had tons of "the best and the brightest" waiting in line for the jobs. The company went H1b instead and now it's mostly people from India working there.

I have no problem with H1b when a company can't find a citizen with the necessary skills. It's the instead of citizens that I question.
In other words, you're fine with the laws as long as they are enforced. The current situation that people are complaining about has to do with the laws not being enforced. The Trump Administration, tellingly, is not hiring anyone to enforce the laws.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:18 PM

129,024 posts, read 11,938,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

How do the companies get around the requirements to hire a US citizen first, they have to advertise the job, & a visa will only be granted when no US citizens apply.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Even if it negatively impacts the US economy? Really? I thought he encouraged the most talented immigrants to come here? Indeed the best and brightest from around the world have immigrated here and have helped the US establish and build it's lead as the innovation leader of the world.

San Jose is the wealthiest and most highly educated metropolitan area in the US, it also gas the 2nd highest percentage of foreign born persons, 39%(only Miami is higher) The San Jose Metro has no racial majority, has low crime, some of the top public school districts in the nation, and a very high standard of living.

Silicon Valley is the ultimate immigration success story. So why mess with that? It makes no sense.

Unless you see this:
And once, he made clear that he is not particularly enthusiastic even about immigrants who are peaceful, successful, and economically productive.

Steve Bannon thought there were too many Asian CEOs in Silicon Valley, based on an apparently made-up statistic

In November 2015, Steve Bannon interviewed Donald Trump for a Breitbart radio program. One particular part of their exchange was resurfaced and made the rounds late last year, but deserves more attention in the wake of this executive order.

The exchange (which begins around the 17 minute mark here) starts with Trump riffing about how top foreign-born Ivy league graduates should be allowed to stay in America where they can be “job creators.” But then Bannon spoke up to disagree, and he did so in a very revealing way:

BANNON: Well I got a tougher — you know, when two thirds or three quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think — on, my point is, a country’s more like, [inaudible], a country’s more than an economy. We’re a civic society.

This is one instance where I dont think Trump himself cares who's rich so long as it doesnt hurt his wealth-Bannon on the other hand seems to want to have his cake and eat it too. He doesnt mind that we're here and productive and our talents be exploited, but he wants us always beneath Whites.

wow another globalist fascist liberal who doesn't understand

over 50% of the Valley's employees are........ NOT AMERICAN....... why do the liberals keep pushing the outsourcing of jobs FROM Americans TO foreigners???

Old 11-18-2017, 03:02 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,582,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Unless you see this:

It doesn't negatively affect the economy, just the pockets of greedy executives in Silicon Valley. It's too bad that Trump can't have them deported too. I'd grant some illegals Amnesty if I could throw out some Silly-con Valley billionaires in their place.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How do the companies get around the requirements to hire a US citizen first, they have to advertise the job, & a visa will only be granted when no US citizens apply.
Because that is not, generally, a requirement for H-1B workers. In fact, no effort whatsoever to find a US worker is required.

Only H-1B dependent employers are required to recruit US workers, and even they don't have to if they're paying high salaries or hiring people with an MS or better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies