U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:58 AM
 
18,629 posts, read 7,229,657 times
Reputation: 7971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Except people can and do reform. A criminal record shouldn't be a blanket scarlet letter for life. It should be on a case by case basis
It should also be known, before employment, whether the applicant is an ex con, so the employer can make an Informed decision regarding hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:14 AM
 
47,524 posts, read 45,225,276 times
Reputation: 15189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It should also be known, before employment, whether the applicant is an ex con, so the employer can make an Informed decision regarding hiring.
Well, in that case, I need you to think about something. If an ex-convict cannot get work, how does said convict survive outside of prison? This is something we have to think about. Yes, if you do the crime , you do the time. I'm in favor of punishing criminals. However, unless murder, treason, or rape was involved(in some cases), you can't keep a convict in prison forever. Said person will eventually have to come out of prison. Said person will eventually be released back into society. They have to survive somehow. Working is the way to do that. I found that alot of criminals go back to crime because they don't have jobs. Part of the recidivism is the inability to survive outside of prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
 
Location: SC
8,774 posts, read 5,598,945 times
Reputation: 12765
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How about actually offering rehabilitation and health restoration instead of archaic "punishment," along with poor nutrition and sub-standard living conditions?
Prison-for-profit. Better for the jailers if you are punished instead of reformed. I always though it was criminal to create a system where there are two sets of rules, (1) prison rules, and (2) inmate rules; these being diametrically opposed - and then punish prisoners for doing whatever they have to do in order to survive in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,318 posts, read 1,779,641 times
Reputation: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It should also be known, before employment, whether the applicant is an ex con, so the employer can make an Informed decision regarding hiring.
I certainly don't want to hear you complaining about crime then if you want to keep them permanently on the fringes of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,893 posts, read 13,410,298 times
Reputation: 21991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Every employer should do criminal background checks. Knowledge is power. Know who you are working around.
Not true, you can have a policy of not hiring felons and end up with a rapist or thief, the only thing you figured out from the background check is that they weren't caught and convicted before you hired them.

Criminal record checks make sense for certain jobs, i.e. teachers, nurses, people working with large amounts of cash but there is no benefit to anyone to exclude a guy who stole a car from a job as a laborer, or exclude someone who wrote bad checks from working as a prep cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,318 posts, read 1,779,641 times
Reputation: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not true, you can have a policy of not hiring felons and end up with a rapist or thief, the only thing you figured out from the background check is that they weren't caught and convicted before you hired them.

Criminal record checks make sense for certain jobs, i.e. teachers, nurses, people working with large amounts of cash but there is no benefit to anyone to exclude a guy who stole a car from a job as a laborer, or exclude someone who wrote bad checks from working as a prep cook.
Unless the crime was violent rape or murder employers have no business knowing your record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,893 posts, read 13,410,298 times
Reputation: 21991
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Prison-for-profit. Better for the jailers if you are punished instead of reformed. I always though it was criminal to create a system where there are two sets of rules, (1) prison rules, and (2) inmate rules; these being diametrically opposed - and then punish prisoners for doing whatever they have to do in order to survive in there.
yep..the first inmate rule when you get to prison is to decide what car you will ride in (which gang you will affiliate with) but once you join a prison gang you have violated a prison rule and at least in California until very recently gang affiliation could send you to Pelican Bay for 15 or 20 years in solitary confinement where you spend one hour a day outside in the equivalent of a dog cage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
30,893 posts, read 13,410,298 times
Reputation: 21991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Unless the crime was violent rape or murder employers have no business knowing your record.
I don't quite agree. I don't think we should have people with a history of drug offenses working in hospitals, and I don't think child molesters should be working around kids. And I doubt that it would be a good idea to hire a serial burglar to install alarm systems. It just depends..but this idea that a person should be denied a job just on the basis of "any" criminal conviction is nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:38 AM
 
18,629 posts, read 7,229,657 times
Reputation: 7971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I certainly don't want to hear you complaining about crime then if you want to keep them permanently on the fringes of society.
I'd favor much longer prison sentences. I abhor concurrent sentences, as it makes multiple offenses no different than 1 offense.

If you shoot 5 people, you should get 5x the sentence of someone shooting 1 via consecutive sentences, assuming the 5 suffered the same fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Pacific Beach/San Diego
3,646 posts, read 2,452,339 times
Reputation: 3632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Unless the crime was violent rape or murder employers have no business knowing your record.
What if the crime was theft from the previous employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top