U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 PM

30,998 posts, read 13,564,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The current cost of incarceration per inmate in California is between 70-71k per year. I don't know what it is currently in Texas, but in 2010 it was about 20k per inmate in Texas.
It's actually $75,000 a year in California, but believe me the money isn't going for amenities for inmates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but the simple fact is with over 70% of released criminals being rearrested with 5 years...it shows that retraining or reforming programs are not working.... if it was working the re-arrest percentage would be much lower
Once again, where does it show that retraining or reforming programs are not working? You have yet to show one bit of evidence of that, but if you look at the links I provided for you you will see that re-entry programs actually do reduce recidivism

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,293 posts, read 14,031,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's actually $75,000 a year in California, but believe me the money isn't going for amenities for inmates.
why are we to believe you.... so where is the 75k per inmate going, Mr. "all knowing"

Old 11-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,293 posts, read 14,031,433 times
Quote:
Once again, where does it show that retraining or reforming programs are not working? You have yet to show one bit of evidence of that, but if you look at the links I provided for you you will see that re-entry programs actually do reduce recidivism
look at the numbers man

if the numbers showed that only 20% were rearrested then sure, it could be said that the retraining program is certainly working.....but you have around 80% being rearrested....that shows definitively that the program is not working

Old 11-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
look at the numbers man
if the numbers showed that only 20% were rearrested then sure, it could be said that the retraining program is certainly working.....but you have around 80% being rearrested....that shows definitively that the program is not working
In the first place I'm not a man, in the 2nd place you have no reason to think that those federal inmates that were in the recidivism report ever had any form of retraining or participated in re-entry or pre-release programs. If you want to keep prattling on with the same talking point back it up with some data, find out how many federal inmates participated in any sort of rehabilitative program and what the recidivism rate was for those inmates.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
why are we to believe you.... so where is the 75k per inmate going, Mr. "all knowing"
"Gov. Jerry Brown’s recently revised budget projects it will cost a record $75,560 to imprison each felon over the next year."
What can $75,560 get you in California? A prison cell | FOX59

If you don't have google on your computer you might want to install it so you can look these things up all by yourself.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,513,460 times
Quote:
87% of employers do criminal background checks, I've already discussed that here. Most of the temp agencies screen out felons and reject them even for day labor jobs.
Then how will retraining them accomplish anything?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Then how will retraining them accomplish anything?
workingclass used the term 'retraining' so to make matters simple in response to his posts I have used that term as well, they are usually called re-entry programs. They usually involve job training, education, drug rehab, mental health counseling and placement in supportive housing, continuity is usually provided with post release intensive supervision I cited two sources regarding the lower recidivism of the participants of some of these programs.

https://efficientgov.com/blog/2017/0...cing-programs/

https://csgjusticecenter.org/jr/post...-and-how-well/

Some of the programs have partnerships with private employers who will hire ex felons but finding employment is difficult for many of the ex offenders. Some states are teaching inmates how to run their own small business, i.e. landscaping, minor auto repair etc, but most don't have the start up money and have to rely on loans or grants to get going.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 PM

10,717 posts, read 4,419,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If criminals can't find jobs they return to crime. If we as a country cared about reducing crime we need to help train prisoners in demand jobs and fields
This is a very limited solution. Most of the prison population is comprised of low-IQ individuals, with characters unsuited to the workplace, who cannot be trained to do "demand jobs" in challenging fields.
Quote:
make it so they don't become de facto second class citizens on release and help line up jobs for them. With a lower recidivism rate we could have a higher GDP as more citizens become productive and pay taxes.
They need jobs and respect, but realistically most of them will only ever be able to do basic stuff. The best way to increase demand for their labor is to stop the flow of foreign workers flooding the market. But of course, the temptation to return to higher paying and, within their context, higher status criminal activity will be great. So there must be a stick to go with the carrot of decent, honest work and the respect of society. Repeat offenders should be treated harshly, to the point that they will fear the prospect of returning to jail. Put them to hard labor, bring back chain gangs... make them understand how much better it is to stay outside, even if you have to hold down a job.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 11-23-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 09:40 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,513,460 times
Well, how about tackling the problem in the front, instead of behind? There has to be some reason why the incarceration rate is so high, which goes along with the crime rate.

The gov can simply seal the records, make not accessible, whatever, to solve the issue of criminal records. The gov are the only ones who make and retain such records. For a lot of non-violent crime, and maybe some violent, I would not mind having the records sealed, or destroyed even after a certain amount of time.

Drug abuse is a huge source of crime, tackling that is much more effective than trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of drug head former prisoners. I mean, why are people in the US so attracted to illicit drug use (include prescript)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or