U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:46 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,334 posts, read 14,055,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"Gov. Jerry Brown’s recently revised budget projects it will cost a record $75,560 to imprison each felon over the next year."
What can $75,560 get you in California? A prison cell | FOX59

If you don't have google on your computer you might want to install it so you can look these things up all by yourself.
well Ma'am, the question is: WHERE is the money going when we SPEND 75k per inmate

YOU said """the money isn't going for amenities for inmates"""

so where is the money going

and why should I look it up when you say """but believe me """....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 09:57 PM

31,085 posts, read 13,614,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, how about tackling the problem in the front, instead of behind? There has to be some reason why the incarceration rate is so high, which goes along with the crime rate.

The gov can simply seal the records, make not accessible, whatever, to solve the issue of criminal records. The gov are the only ones who make and retain such records. For a lot of non-violent crime, and maybe some violent, I would not mind having the records sealed, or destroyed even after a certain amount of time.

Drug abuse is a huge source of crime, tackling that is much more effective than trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of drug head former prisoners. I mean, why are people in the US so attracted to illicit drug use (include prescript)?
I agree most of what you said, the only thing I would take exception to is your claim that the incarceration rate goes along with the crime rate, that's a fascinating subject but probably too complex to discuss on this thread, but to give you an idea, here's a chart that tracked the increase in the incarceration at the same time the crime rate was steadily dropping.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well Ma'am, the question is: WHERE is the money going when we SPEND 75k per inmate
YOU said """the money isn't going for amenities for inmates"""
so where is the money going
and why should I look it up when you say """but believe me """....
You should take a deep breath, you seem really worked up here...

Here's the CDCR budget you can see for yourself:

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/2017-18/pd.../5210/5225.pdf

The budget for feeding an inmate is $3.35 per day as I said, very little of that money goes toward amenities for inmates.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:27 PM

10,759 posts, read 4,432,461 times
Quote:
I agree most of what you said, the only thing I would take exception to is your claim that the incarceration rate goes along with the crime rate, that's a fascinating subject but probably too complex to discuss on this thread, but to give you an idea, here's a chart that tracked the increase in the incarceration at the same time the crime rate was steadily dropping.

Isn't a period of lower crime is exactly what we would expect and hope to see with large numbers of criminals in jail?

Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

Isn't a period of lower crime is exactly what we would expect and hope to see with large numbers of criminals in jail?
You're confusing me. It seems to me that when crime is dropping you would expect to see fewer people sent to prison. Look at the graph, the number of prisoners goes up after the crime rate drops. If incarceration reduces crime you would expect to see large numbers of convictions followed by a lower crime rate

Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 PM

18,890 posts, read 7,350,115 times
Quote:
You're confusing me. It seems to me that when crime is dropping you would expect to see fewer people sent to prison. Look at the graph, the number of prisoners goes up after the crime rate drops. If incarceration reduces crime you would expect to see large numbers of convictions followed by a lower crime rate
Or you maintain the reduced rate of crime by insuring a greater percentage of those who break laws are properly caged, away from civilized society.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 PM

10,759 posts, read 4,432,461 times
Quote:
I don't think so.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Or you maintain the reduced rate of crime by insuring a greater percentage of those who break laws are properly caged, away from civilized society.
That's certainly a claim that some people make, but the only point I was trying to make was that the rate of incarceration does not go up when crime goes up, that's verifiable, criminologists still disagree about the reasons for it. I really don't want to waste time arguing about something that even the experts can't agree on, ok?

Old 11-24-2017, 05:46 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,815,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

to bold 2 : its been proven over and over again that reconditioning or inmate reform does NOT work
Complete nonsense the US has never seriously tried any such programs. Just look at the Nordic countries for an example of how to run a prison system. Recidivism is low since they are trained in prison to be successful on the outside. Of course the reason we don't do that here in the states could be due to racism since white taxpayers would rather have sub standard prison system than ever help black or brown people.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:14 AM

9,443 posts, read 10,196,446 times
They have this website where you can look up anyone who has served time in your state, county or city. I have a number of relatives and childhood friends who I knew were on this registry. I was a little surprised how some of them go in an out until they die either in prison or on the outside. One friend I remember went in at around 17 for murder in 1970. He spent the next 39 years in and out and died in prison in a fight. One of the aliases he used was his brother's name who has always gone in an out since the seventies and I see he's back in. This past weekend I happen see a friend of about 35 who just got out after maybe four years. He's a nice young man but this is his second or third trip already to prison.

Having said all that IMO it’s not the system it's people. Some people can handle prison especially those who don't have very good lives outside of prison. That's what makes it tough for us on the outside. There are thousands of people who have pretty good access to guns who really don't care if they have to go back to their "home away from." That's all prison will be to a certain segment of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or