Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 06:16 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

The purpose of prison is justice for the victim, not making a better life for the inmate. If you don't want them to be recidivist, give them longer sentences and make them serve their full time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree most of what you said, the only thing I would take exception to is your claim that the incarceration rate goes along with the crime rate, that's a fascinating subject but probably too complex to discuss on this thread, but to give you an idea, here's a chart that tracked the increase in the incarceration at the same time the crime rate was steadily dropping.
As the rate of incarceration went up, the rate of crime went down. Both started at 1.0. Incarceration went up to 3 of so and crime dropped below 1.0. Especially after the early 1980's.

There were many things going on other than incarceration. Criminals' rights were being expanded, the number of people in their prime crime years was increasing, the drug trade took off.

And, prison guards were unionized. This prompted 3 strikes and your out laws and things like that to ensure a steady stream of customers.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:33 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The purpose of prison is justice for the victim, not making a better life for the inmate.
Yes but the point I am trying to make in this thread is once the sentence is served it should be private information and not a detriment to gaining housing or employment.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:35 AM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The purpose of prison is justice for the victim, not making a better life for the inmate. If you don't want them to be recidivist, give them longer sentences and make them serve their full time.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Complete nonsense the US has never seriously tried any such programs. Just look at the Nordic countries for an example of how to run a prison system. Recidivism is low since they are trained in prison to be successful on the outside. Of course the reason we don't do that here in the states could be due to racism since white taxpayers would rather have sub standard prison system than ever help black or brown people.
Yes, your post is nonsense from a practical, problem solving perspective, and you top it off with a noxious anti-white virtue signal - a nice illustration of why so few people want liberals in charge of criminal justice.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, your post is nonsense from a practical, problem solving perspective, and you top it off with a noxious anti-white virtue signal
It is not nonsense because there are other countries where it works better thats the point. The US is not number 1 in criminal justice our justice system is total farce. I get your point though you are obsessed with endless punishment I on the other hand want less people to go to prison and become productive members of society. You want them to be permanently marginalized.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:59 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I probably wouldn't say that they come out a "better" criminal. A better criminal wouldn't get caught again. They do come out with an adjustment to prison life which makes it an option for them in case they can't get what they want legally. When I was about 11 or 12 a thirteen-year-old tried to stab me with a switchblade during what I thought was friendly wrestling match. I hadn't thought about him since middle school, but sure enough there he was, 60 years old and on the website currently incarcerated. That's the kind of 13 year old who carries a switch blade. I think we ask too much of the prison system.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
As the rate of incarceration went up, the rate of crime went down. Both started at 1.0. Incarceration went up to 3 of so and crime dropped below 1.0. Especially after the early 1980's.
That's not quite true, the incarceration rate went up even AFTER crime dropped.

http://www.sentencingproject.org/wp-...lationship.pdf

Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Yes the perverse incentives of a privatized system.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:09 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:

I don't think you're quite understanding what the graph shows. It shows that as incarceration rises, crime drops. And crime kept dropping. Once the early eighties were past, crime rates go almost monotonically downward.

If incarceration and crime rates both increased you would say incarceration has no effect on crime, ceteras paribus.

If incarceration rates went down while crime went down, you would say not jailing people so much reduces crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies