Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think we all agree on that part. So should we execute everyone who breaks a law?
I said nothing about executing anyone. I am against the Death Penalty.

Try to pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They should be work camps with zero privileges. People should be sent to prison for punishment, not rehabilitation.
So when they come out they can go right back in? Rehabilitation should be the cornerstone treat people like animals and they will behave like animals.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
So when they come out they can go right back in? Rehabilitation should be the cornerstone treat people like animals and they will behave like animals.
Behaving like animals is what go them into the place where they are treated like animals.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:27 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Behaving like animals is what go them into the place where they are treated like animals.
So basically once they are in even for a minor offence you think they should be discarded and become a permanent second class citizen. In the long run it would be cheaper to help them.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
So basically once they are in even for a minor offence you think they should be discarded and become a permanent second class citizen. In the long run it would be cheaper to help them.
Firstly, people who do hard time for minor offences generally have committed more serious transgressions. So in essence they do not really serve time for minor offences. Certainly one can find the rare exception, but rare is just that.

Secondly, if family, friends, church/mosque/temple, school, social mores, etc did not make the convict a good citizen in the first place, what exactly are you going to do after the fact?

Finally, neither I nor you are discarding anyone. Criminals made a choice, rolled the dice, and lost. Now the bill must be paid.

I do not rob banks or murder people who annoy me because I know I will end up in prison. Prison is a very powerful incentive for me to obey the law. What is stopping others from seeing what I see?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Prisons are an industry like any other, they need a certain amount of 'clients' to be successful and profitable, this industry just happens to have the US dept of justice at their back, to ensure they continue to be profitable year after year. Law are created that will guarantee enough people will break them and be caught, to make it lucrative enough, drug and sex crimes were perfect, LOTS of people willing to break those laws.

Ultimately the public needs to stand up and stop the increasing police state our nation has become.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Prisons are an industry like any other, they need a certain amount of 'clients' to be successful and profitable, this industry just happens to have the US dept of justice at their back, to ensure they continue to be profitable year after year. Law are created that will guarantee enough people will break them and be caught, to make it lucrative enough, drug and sex crimes were perfect, LOTS of people willing to break those laws.

Ultimately the public needs to stand up and stop the increasing police state our nation has become.
Yea the prison industry is hypnotizing men into grabbing sawed off shotguns and robbing the corner mart.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Firstly, people who do hard time for minor offences generally have committed more serious transgressions. So in essence they do not really serve time for minor offences. Certainly one can find the rare exception, but rare is just that. Secondly, if family, friends, church/mosque/temple, school, social mores, etc did not make the convict a good citizen in the first place, what exactly are you going to do after the fact? Finally, neither I nor you are discarding anyone. Criminals made a choice, rolled the dice, and lost. Now the bill must be paid. I do not rob banks or murder people who annoy me because I know I will end up in prison. Prison is a very powerful incentive for me to obey the law. What is stopping others from seeing what I see?
Some people do years for relatively minor offenses. Until a few years ago in California, a person with a very small amount of a controlled substance could be sent to prison for 3,4 or 5 years if they 'transported' that drug, which included having it in your pocket while you were riding a bicycle. There are still arcane laws like that on the books in almost all states, your lack of familiarity with them does not prove they don't exist.

As I already tried to explain. Most people who commit crimes don't contemplate getting caught, thus threat of long prison terms is rarely a deterrent. The reasons for that are varied, i.e. inability to comprehend cause and effect, sociopathy, immaturity, etc. Here's a link that might help you understand what does deter criminal activity and what doesn't.
https://nij.gov/five-things/pages/deterrence.aspx

Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I would have a team of tech guys invent a collar to put on them that would zap them if they get too close to another inmate, would have voice recognition that would zap them if they use foul language or raise their voice. They would learn a trade and they would learn how to speak properly and with respect to others. I would hire psychologists to reprogram them from the person who got them put in prison, the person their inept, drug addled single mother raised.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
One of the reasons the US Justice system is so inept at dealing with crime is US prisons are essentially college for inmates they go and come out a better criminal. Solutions to deal with this largely fall on deaf ears since our country is set up to massively punish people even for minor crimes and offenses. Solutions to this crisis remove the stigma of hiring a ex convict if they can't get jobs because of criminal record this in effect creates a double punishment despite the fact the time has been served. If criminals can't find jobs they return to crime. If we as a country cared about reducing crime we need to help train prisoners in demand jobs and fields make it so they don't become de facto second class citizens on release and help line up jobs for them. With a lower recidivism rate we could have a higher GDP as more citizens become productive and pay taxes.
You are forgetting about one thing. In the USA, any dollar is a good dollar. There are billions and billions of dollars to be made and endless careers to be supported by keeping prisoners in jail, and by releasing them in order to be able to re-incarcerate them. That's why your proposal will go nowhere. Profit trumps logic and rationality any day in the week in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies